F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > F30 DIY US Headlight Switch Modification for Rear Fog Lights + Coding
Extreme Powerhouse

08-11-2016, 01:49 PM   #89
Gabreigns
Major
Rep
Drives: F3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyycharles
anyone got this to work with the new 2016 lci taillights?
Yes. I have helped a friend who has LCI tail lights to enable this. Also enabled their European brake force display on hard braking and emergency flashers to go on in the event of sudden baking and full stop and off again automatically when the car gets moving again.
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2016, 04:10 PM   #90
whyycharles
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4CS | 2020 x7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabreigns View Post
Yes. I have helped a friend who has LCI tail lights to enable this. Also enabled their European brake force display on hard braking and emergency flashers to go on in the event of sudden baking and full stop and off again automatically when the car gets moving again.
Can you explain how you did it?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 04:28 PM   #91
Gabreigns
Major
Rep

Umm. The coding and DIY is what I followed after getting coding software and the cable.
Not sure what you mean?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 07:21 PM   #92
jww///95
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f31xd | f80m3

Quote:
Yep, same procedure as previously noted.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 06:19 AM   #93
tmdals0213
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabreigns
Quote:
so this below will work for 2016+ lci rear fogs

Rear fog lights

REM / 3061 / NSL_L_KALTUEBERWACHUNG /nicht_aktiv
REM / 3061 / NSL_L_WARMUEBERWACHUNG /nicht_aktiv
REM / 3061 / NSL_L_IS_LED /aktiv
REM / 3061 / NSL_R_KALTUEBERWACHUNG /nicht_aktiv
REM / 3061 / NSL_R_WARMUEBERWACHUNG /nicht_aktiv
REM / 3061 / NSL_R_IS_LED /aktiv

could you please post the values? lines? use for the brake force display and emergency flashers to go on in the event of sudden baking?

A thousand thanks!!!
      08-12-2016, 06:49 AM   #94
Gabreigns
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdals0213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabreigns
Quote:
so this below will work for 2016+ lci rear fogs

Rear fog lights

REM / 3061 / NSL_L_KALTUEBERWACHUNG /nicht_aktiv
REM / 3061 / NSL_L_WARMUEBERWACHUNG /nicht_aktiv
REM / 3061 / NSL_L_IS_LED /aktiv
REM / 3061 / NSL_R_KALTUEBERWACHUNG /nicht_aktiv
REM / 3061 / NSL_R_WARMUEBERWACHUNG /nicht_aktiv
REM / 3061 / NSL_R_IS_LED /aktiv

could you please post the values? lines? use for the brake force display and emergency flashers to go on in the event of sudden baking?

A thousand thanks!!!
Sure thing!

Great write up on f80 forum where I got it from.
Brake Force Display LCI http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1225913

For brake force display.
Code For Brake Force Display
FEM BODY
ESS_AKTIVIERBARER_AUSGANG
Change to bremslicht_blinkend

By default interior fog lights come on but don't blink in the US.
Code For Outer Light Flashing
REM
MAPPING_BRAKEFORCED_L_OUTPUT
change to bl

Do the same for BRAKEFORCED_R_OUTPUT.

Code for Flashing Rate
REM
3064 LceConfiguration, 2B
ESS BLINKFREQ 1
ESS BLINKFREQ 2
Change to 05 or other higher number

For hazard flashing on hard braking and turning off once moving.
I got the hazard flashing info from
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=675938
We don't have FRM module. I think it is under either REM or FEM BODY

WB_GB_ENABLE->aktiv (default in NA is nicht_aktiv)
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 11:40 AM   #95
sumi
Registered
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 435i GC

I assume this should work also on 2015 F36 435i Gran Coupe, right? But has somebody tried this? Or can somebody otherwise confirm?

My background is that I recently imported my F36 from California to Finland, and here the rear fog light is mandatory to have.

///sumi
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 01:03 PM   #96
sumi
Registered
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 435i GC

Confirming to myself. Created the button and did the coding today. Works like a charm!

///sumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumi View Post
I assume this should work also on 2015 F36 435i Gran Coupe, right? But has somebody tried this? Or can somebody otherwise confirm?

My background is that I recently imported my F36 from California to Finland, and here the rear fog light is mandatory to have.

///sumi
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 05:09 AM   #97
Gr-Racing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46, F30 335i, 1986 K75

Noob question....Rearfog light = plate light? Im sorry lost over here on the pics of before and after

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 12:16 PM   #98
MarcNoord
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 330i xDrive Wagon

This is very cool. Well done.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 03:50 PM   #99
Gabreigns
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr-Racing
Noob question....Rearfog light = plate light? Im sorry lost over here on the pics of before and after

Thanks
Nah.. not the plate light but inner side of your tail lights light up on hard braking depending on your region. These lights are on your trunk.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 11:23 AM   #100
zcspec
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911/Boxster/Model Y

Thank you for putting together this DIY. It's yet another DIY I completed with success. This is a wonderful feature I miss from my previous Audi so it's great to have it activated on my Bimmer now.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 04:53 PM   #101
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I modified the headlight switch and coded the rear fog lights on my M4 shortly after it's redelivery in July. Works great, but for the finishing touch I want to add a rear fog light label to my switch.

Does anyone know where I could find a rear fog light switch label or sticker?

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 05:31 PM   #102
Gabreigns
Major
Rep

There is no known font and sticker readily available that I know off. You are better of getting the entire headlight and fog light switch module for about 60 to 80 USD used via eBay. They have quite a few over in Europe.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 02:31 PM   #103
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabreigns View Post
There is no known font and sticker readily available that I know off. You are better of getting the entire headlight and fog light switch module for about 60 to 80 USD used via eBay. They have quite a few over in Europe.
This is the only one that I could find: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-F30-New-...JYDjZB&vxp=mtr

Almost $100 ($89 + $6 shipping) is a bit steep when the only thing I will use is the rear fog light button! I think I'll wait and see if lower priced switches show up.

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 07:31 AM   #104
CharlesL
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumi View Post

///sumi
Sumi - I just moved back to the Netherlands. 2015 435i Cabrio from Florida. BMW Netherlands says it can't be done... what suggestions do you have for me to get the coding done?

I bought the light switch unit, and that's already installed.

-Charles
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 03:58 AM   #105
Mwahab
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Great write up guys!
I have a different question here.
If we are abour to retrofit a set of Front Fog lights, as it wasnt installed from the factory. Is there an extra wiring needed? Or there is plug to just plug the new fog lights to?
Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 08:38 AM   #106
F30Beast335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 f30 n55 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by azwillnj View Post
I took the headlight switch out of my stock US spec 328xi and modified it to add rear fog lights. The button hardware, the lighting circuit and the button are all in the switch assembly, there are just little plastic tabs that are preventing the button from moving. After modifying the button you just need to code 5 new values to tell the car what to do with the new button and everything will work perfectly.

The first step is to pull the left vent out of the car, basically you just grab it and pull it out.
[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

Next remove the headlight panel, there are little clips that you have to pinch while pulling the panel out at the same time, there are no clips on the bottom, the panel will tip out from the top. The clips are circled in red.
[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

Once you have the switch out pull the wires out of the back, there is no button or catch, just pull them out. Then you need to remove the back of the switch, there are 6 clips that you need to release while simultaneously pulling the back off. The clips are circled in red below.
[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

After you have removed the back you have to pop the button out of the switch assembly. Do this by pinching the four clips circled in red below and pushing the button out of the front.
[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

Now that you have the button out you need to cut the retaining tabs off and smooth everything out. The tabs are circled in the pictures below. I used a box cutter to cut most of the tab off, then used a small flathead screwdriver to smooth everything out. It doesn't look pretty, but it works, and no one will ever see it, so it doesn't matter.
[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

Tabs cut off and everything smoothed out.
[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

After you're all done modifying the button, push it back in the front of the switch, clip the back of the headlight assembly back on, plug the wires back in, put the panel back into the car, then put the vent back in.

Now you have to code the button to work, refer to this thread to learn how to code or find someone in your area to help you. The values you need to code are:

FEM_BODY / 3060 LCEMaster 1C / NSL_Verbaut = Verbaut

REM / 3063 LCELampMapping 2 / Mapping_Nebelschlussl_L_output = nsl_l
REM / 3063 LCELampMapping 2 / Mapping_Nebelschlussl_L_Function = nebelschlusslicht
REM / 3063 LCELampMapping 2 / Mapping_Nebelschlussl_R_output = nsl_l
REM / 3063 LCELampMapping 2 / Mapping_Nebelschlussl_R_Function = nebelschlusslicht

And that's it, you're done. Let me know if you need any help.

Disclaimer: I am not in any way shape or form responsible anything bad that happens to your car, do this at your own risk.
Thank you very much great write up and great diy . They limit us in the states so much. Did this one night took literally maybe 15 min. I did purchase a vgate icar 2 adapter and downloaded bimmercode app to do the coding via iPhone on this . Very easy to use had 0 problems at all . Have coded many things with this in a matter of minutes . Definitely very cool !
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-27-2017, 12:18 PM   #107
SilverF30
Registered
Rep
Drives: Glacier Silver F30

Exclamation F30 Rear Fog Light Coding

I have installed the newest software for E-SYS and have the ENET cable ready. However, I can't get the Software to work. Please let me know what is the easiest way to fix this problem. BTW I keep getting an error when I try to use the auto install feature that the computer needs more 2048 mb memory, which does not make sense. All I want is a simple step by step process (does not have to be the new software as long as it works on my F30) so I can get this activated. My button has already been filed down. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 08:37 AM   #108
hsk1610
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

using the rear turn signal as rear fog

I've posted this under the rear LED as turning signal thread but thought I'd ask here as well.

I currently have the rear LEDs as rear FOG set up and am about to convert the rear LED as turning signals instead and turn off the turn signal lights completely.

Does anyone know what parameters need to be modified to repurpose the now inactive turn signals as the rear fogs?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 10:40 AM   #109
Mwahab
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsk1610
I've posted this under the rear LED as turning signal thread but thought I'd ask here as well.

I currently have the rear LEDs as rear FOG set up and am about to convert the rear LED as turning signals instead and turn off the turn signal lights completely.

Does anyone know what parameters need to be modified to repurpose the now inactive turn signals as the rear fogs?
Just check the other thread back, i answered it already
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 12:33 AM   #110
BALL3N
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330xi, 2019 X3 x30i

Garage List
2020 330xi  [0.00]
Also works for Coding Rear Fog Lights for LCI F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
1) I would expect Mapping_Nebelschlussl_R_output = nsl_l to be nsl_r (As in the right rear Fog Light not the Left one)

2) Those 4 codes are in REM (Rear Electronics Module) not FEM_BODY (Front Electronics Module).
Quote:
Originally Posted by azwillnj View Post
I took the headlight switch out of my stock US spec 328xi and modified it to add rear fog lights. The button hardware, the lighting circuit and the button are all in the switch assembly, there are just little plastic tabs that are preventing the button from moving. After modifying the button you just need to code 5 new values to tell the car what to do with the new button and everything will work perfectly.

The first step is to pull the left vent out of the car, basically you just grab it and pull it out.

Next remove the headlight panel, there are little clips that you have to pinch while pulling the panel out at the same time, there are no clips on the bottom, the panel will tip out from the top. The clips are circled in red.

Once you have the switch out pull the wires out of the back, there is no button or catch, just pull them out. Then you need to remove the back of the switch, there are 6 clips that you need to release while simultaneously pulling the back off. The clips are circled in red below.

After you have removed the back you have to pop the button out of the switch assembly. Do this by pinching the four clips circled in red below and pushing the button out of the front.

Now that you have the button out you need to cut the retaining tabs off and smooth everything out. The tabs are circled in the pictures below. I used a box cutter to cut most of the tab off, then used a small flathead screwdriver to smooth everything out. It doesn't look pretty, but it works, and no one will ever see it, so it doesn't matter.

Tabs cut off and everything smoothed out.

After you're all done modifying the button, push it back in the front of the switch, clip the back of the headlight assembly back on, plug the wires back in, put the panel back into the car, then put the vent back in.

Now you have to code the button to work, refer to this thread to learn how to code or find someone in your area to help you. The values you need to code are:

FEM_BODY / 3060 LCEMaster 1C / NSL_Verbaut = Verbaut

REM / 3063 LCELampMapping 2 / Mapping_Nebelschlussl_L_output = nsl_l
REM / 3063 LCELampMapping 2 / Mapping_Nebelschlussl_L_Function = nebelschlusslicht
REM / 3063 LCELampMapping 2 / Mapping_Nebelschlussl_R_output = nsl_l
REM / 3063 LCELampMapping 2 / Mapping_Nebelschlussl_R_Function = nebelschlusslicht

And that's it, you're done. Let me know if you need any help.

Disclaimer: I am not in any way shape or form responsible anything bad that happens to your car, do this at your own risk.
Very helpful post, with exception of needing to map REM/3063 LCELampMapping 2/Mapping_Nebelschlussl_R_output = nsl_r instead of = nsl_l , which Shawnsheridan already pointed out.

I managed to do this twice now, first in my previous car, an LCI F31. I thought someone might find this useful since the wagons are kind of uncommon these days.

I've handled lots of ///M's, Euro Deliveries, PC Deliveries, Dual Deliveries, some Individual Orders, an M4 GTS, an M760xi.
Appreciate 0