F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > DIY Paddle Shift F30
proTUNING Freaks

05-14-2018, 08:37 PM   #67
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac335i View Post
I am figuring out which wire goes to which paddle shifter. I also heard that the shorter one goes to the side furthest away which makes zero sense to me. You would think BMW would label them. I'll let you know once I code the paddles and figure out if they work or not. Right now I have them as the longer side hooked up to the furthest paddle.

The real question I have is the lane assist. I am now getting a lane assist malfunction and that feature no longer works. Could I have the incorrect wire harness or will this go away once I code the shifters. It's strange because everything is hooked up but I have two connections just tucked away because the paddle shifter harness replaced them. Harness part number 32-30-6-854-769 and I couldn't find another harness for lane assist just a heated feature which I don't have.

Can anyone weigh in on this?

I have the non M sport wheel
I think you may have bought the wrong harness. What's your VIN?

Edit: Nevermind you said that you have the non M Sport wheel. Might have been the way you connected it then?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 08:45 PM   #68
TMac335i
335i F30
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailec View Post
Quote:
I am figuring out which wire goes to which paddle shifter. I also heard that the shorter one goes to the side furthest away which makes zero sense to me. You would think BMW would label them. I'll let you know once I code the paddles and figure out if they work or not. Right now I have them as the longer side hooked up to the furthest paddle.

The real question I have is the lane assist. I am now getting a lane assist malfunction and that feature no longer works. Could I have the incorrect wire harness or will this go away once I code the shifters. It's strange because everything is hooked up but I have two connections just tucked away because the paddle shifter harness replaced them. Harness part number 32-30-6-854-769 and I couldn't find another harness for lane assist just a heated feature which I don't have.

Can anyone weigh in on this?

I have the non M sport wheel
I think you may have bought the wrong harness. What's your VIN?

Edit: Nevermind you said that you have the non M Sport wheel. Might have been the way you connected it then?
I don't know man. Really only one way to connect it... could coding the paddles make it work? I'm thinking no but it's truly odd.
Active Autowerke Flash Tune, FMIC, Exhaust | BMS Intake | VRSF DP | VRSF CP
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 08:48 PM   #69
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don't know man. Really only one way to connect it... could coding the paddles make it work? I'm thinking no but it's truly odd.
Can't hurt. You disconnected the battery before doing the install right? To rule out a short circuit maybe?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 08:50 PM   #70
TMac335i
335i F30
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Can't hurt. You disconnected the battery before doing the install right? To rule out a short circuit maybe?
I did not disconnect the battery. I did it with a BMW tech and he said it wasn't really needed.

What would be the remedy if that did cause an issue?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 08:54 PM   #71
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I did not disconnect the battery. I did it with a BMW tech and he said it wasn't really needed.

Eh? You did it with a BMW tech? As in someone who works at a shop/dealership? And they couldn't find the cause of the error? I don't know if that's the cause, but it just seems strange that a tech would tell you not to disconnect the battery considering the airbag needs to be removed. But regardless what did they say was the cause? If there was a short circuit I don't think there's anything that can be done other than to swap out the part because it's fried.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 08:59 PM   #72
TMac335i
335i F30
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Eh? You did it with a BMW tech? As in someone who works at a shop/dealership? And they couldn't find the cause of the error? I don't know if that's the cause, but it just seems strange that a tech would tell you not to disconnect the battery considering the airbag needs to be removed. But regardless what did they say was the cause? If there was a short circuit I don't think there's anything that can be done other than to swap out the part because it's fried.
Hummm... I don't see how it could be fried. You take the wheel off when you mess with the wires.

Yeah he thought maybe it was a different harness needed or that once I code the paddles the car will recognize the new harness and the code would go away. I don't see another harness available. But he didn't have a clear answer. They don't retrofit paddle shifters so this was his first. It's not a very common thing at the dealership. Most cars come with shifters.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 09:05 PM   #73
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hummm... I don't see how it could be fried. You take the wheel off when you mess with the wires.

Yeah he thought maybe it was a different harness needed or that once I code the paddles the car will recognize the new harness and the code would go away. I don't see another harness available. But he didn't have a clear answer. They don't retrofit paddle shifters so this was his first. It's not a very common thing at the dealership. Most cars come with shifters.
It doesn't hurt to code, but I just don't see how that could be the issue. See if it works and let us know. While they don't do retrofits, the paddles and wiring should look a certain way so I thought they'd know. In any case, did you at least check to see if you are wired for paddles at the steering column?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 09:09 PM   #74
TMac335i
335i F30
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

It doesn't hurt to code, but I just don't see how that could be the issue. See if it works and let us know. While they don't do retrofits, the paddles and wiring should look a certain way so I thought they'd know. In any case, did you at least check to see if you are wired for paddles at the steering column?
Of course. I am wired.

You got me trippn about the battery lol. I just don't get how my lane assist could not work.... I get loosing the vibration but not the entire function. We scanned it and it said the harness wasn't connected which it true but the new harness is connected. It replaced two of the same connections. This is puzzling
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 09:11 PM   #75
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Of course. I am wired.

You got me trippn about the battery lol. I just don't get how my lane assist could not work.... I get loosing the vibration but not the entire function. We scanned it and it said the harness wasn't connected which it true but the new harness is connected. It replaced two of the same connections. This is puzzling
I just thought it was standard to disconnect the battery since we're working with electrical stuff. That's like in almost all YouTube videos, but I'll take the technician's word for it that you don't need to. That being said, try coding it in first and see if that works since no matter what you NEED to code. Also, you connected the long cable to the left (negative) paddle right? Try reversing it like you see everyone say, long to right (positive) paddle instead. I have a feeling it's more to do with the harness orientation than coding though. It's trial and error at this point.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 09:14 PM   #76
TMac335i
335i F30
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Of course. I am wired.

I just thought it was standard to disconnect the battery since we're working with electrical stuff. That's like in almost all YouTube videos, but I'll take the technician's word for it that you don't need to. That being said, try coding it in first and see if that works. It's trial and error at this point.
Thanks, I'll give it a go and report back.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 09:15 PM   #77
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks, I'll give it a go and report back.
I edited my earlier reply.. lol
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 03:00 PM   #78
Tim.H
Registered
Rep
Drives: 428I

428i - confirmed wired

Hi there,
after getting all 3 pieces (the back, the flipflops and the new cable) I managed to install + code the flipflops on the steering wheel. It all works

Thx for the forum !!!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 08:48 PM   #79
masamra
Rep
Drives: F30 316i

I have done this retrofit and everything worked fine but i have lost the interior lights and they don't light up even by pressing the button, any idea?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 06:30 PM   #80
gameson
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 320i N20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMPR View Post
Back cover PN - 32307848268
Wiring harness PNs -
32307848337 - if your car has steering wheel heater, and/or lane departure/lane change warning
32307848335 - if your car doesn't have any of the above

I have for sale the paddles, the back cover, and the harness. If you are interested, let me know.
i am having a hard time retrofitting paddle shifter to my steering wheel. it gives me short circuit error.

the culprit could be one of these three, the paddle, the cruise control, and the wiring.

i am suspecting the wiring to be the problem, but i have few questions

1. what would happen if you use 37 wire on a non heater/lane departure wheel option? The price for 37 and 35 is only few bucks difference, i m thinking of buying 37 just for future proofing even though my car does not have the lane departure/driving assistant/heater options right now.

2. how often can the paddle or the cruise control broken? i believe these are just buttons with no electronics circuits behind it?

3. Also what's the difference between part number 61319242983 and 61317847210 for the paddle shifter? Thanks.

thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 09:52 AM   #81
happyhippo
Enlisted Member
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 LCI

Hello! I have M-sport steering wheel with heating and WO paddles.
Is there a way to determine if steering wheel is ready for paddles retrofit, without getting it off?

The thing is if steering wheel already have special holes for paddle shifts, so I won't have to drill them, as it looks kinda hard. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 04:32 PM   #82
DS_BMW88
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 218i Coupe

Garage List
My retrofit attempt. No luck yet.

Hi!

My shifters retrofit on my M-sport steering wheel is still unsuccesful. I almost tried everything: installed the shifters, harness cable and back plate from ali express. The car was pre-wired and coded with Bimmercode (FEM 3190/Paddles_Verbaut = aktiv.

However, I am suspecting that my harness cable is still corrupt. During my first installation attempt I realized that the black-blue-red cable plug were in the wrong order, since I got errors and no possibility to use any of the steering buttons.

1. Can someone please confirm that the paddleshifter are really meant for the F30? See image of SND resistors on the printboard.
2. There is a 6 pin plug that goes into the SZL.Would anyone know if I would cause the system any harm if I switch the 2 cables inside the plug that are meant for the shifters? I am suspecting that they don't get any power.

Let me know if you have any other thoughts.

https://ibb.co/pn3mkMG
https://ibb.co/GVgyC0y
https://ibb.co/gw4VJGP
https://ibb.co/KjvDBWX
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 08:20 AM   #83
DS_BMW88
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhippo View Post
Hello! I have M-sport steering wheel with heating and WO paddles.
Is there a way to determine if steering wheel is ready for paddles retrofit, without getting it off?

The thing is if steering wheel already have special holes for paddle shifts, so I won't have to drill them, as it looks kinda hard. Thanks!
No, unfortunately not. You either need to open the SZL steering wheel position or check the FEM module near the foot of the passenger side.

Drilling the holes is actually the most easy part of this retrofit. You just need to make sure that the paddle can fit nicely on the back frame of the steering wheel. Let me know if you need more info.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 05:34 AM   #84
d4vidm
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30, G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS_BMW88 View Post
Hi!

My shifters retrofit on my M-sport steering wheel is still unsuccesful. I almost tried everything: installed the shifters, harness cable and back plate from ali express. The car was pre-wired and coded with Bimmercode (FEM 3190/Paddles_Verbaut = aktiv.

However, I am suspecting that my harness cable is still corrupt. During my first installation attempt I realized that the black-blue-red cable plug were in the wrong order, since I got errors and no possibility to use any of the steering buttons.

1. Can someone please confirm that the paddleshifter are really meant for the F30? See image of SND resistors on the printboard.
2. There is a 6 pin plug that goes into the SZL.Would anyone know if I would cause the system any harm if I switch the 2 cables inside the plug that are meant for the shifters? I am suspecting that they don't get any power.

Let me know if you have any other thoughts.

https://ibb.co/pn3mkMG
https://ibb.co/GVgyC0y
https://ibb.co/gw4VJGP
https://ibb.co/KjvDBWX
Hi DS_BMW88,
I have bought paddle shifters from ebay, and want to measure them before going to drill hole process. My idea is install them in my normal sport wheel, not M.
Can you give some idea on how to dissassembly the paddles? I'm afraid to force and broke someting.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 02:52 AM   #85
DS_BMW88
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4vidm View Post
Hi DS_BMW88,
I have bought paddle shifters from ebay, and want to measure them before going to drill hole process. My idea is install them in my normal sport wheel, not M.
Can you give some idea on how to dissassembly the paddles? I'm afraid to force and broke someting.
Thanks!
Hi! I have the M-sport paddles, so I am not entirely sure whether the same type of construction applies in comparison to yours. But I can hardly imagine that they are that much different. There should be a pin on top that you can simply push out with a pry-tool. From then, you should have access to the printboard to measure the resistance with a multimeter.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 08:35 AM   #86
d4vidm
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30, G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS_BMW88 View Post
Hi! I have the M-sport paddles, so I am not entirely sure whether the same type of construction applies in comparison to yours. But I can hardly imagine that they are that much different. There should be a pin on top that you can simply push out with a pry-tool. From then, you should have access to the printboard to measure the resistance with a multimeter.
This is an actual photo of my paddles. I believe they have not such pin...
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 09:32 AM   #87
DS_BMW88
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4vidm View Post
This is an actual photo of my paddles. I believe they have not such pin...
Check the top-side and bottom side. There should be a thin black plastic pin you can push in and pull out from the other side. This one is a bit different, bu similar principle: https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1471362
Appreciate 0