F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Alloy Wheel Insurance
Extreme Powerhouse

04-25-2014, 08:49 AM   #1
dannywooly77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d xDrive

Alloy Wheel Insurance

So i had to take the BMW back to dealer today for the smallest of scratches but they buffered that out.

The guy i was dealing with offered me Alloy Wheel protection as i was saying i was worried with the 403m 19"s being diamond cut. Price £350 for 3 years.

Any comments as it seems a no brainer to me!

335d xDrive M Sport Black Saphire, Pro Nav, MSport+, Adaptive Suspension, Performance Kit
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 08:56 AM   #2
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannywooly77 View Post
So i had to take the BMW back to dealer today for the smallest of scratches but they buffered that out.

The guy i was dealing with offered me Alloy Wheel protection as i was saying i was worried with the 403m 19"s being diamond cut. Price £350 for 3 years.

Any comments as it seems a no brainer to me!
Depends how careful/careless you are with alloys....surely?

I haven't needed a replacement alloy ever, other than accident damage. Yes I have nicked a few (stone chips / slight curb graze), but not badly enough to warrant any more than a clear lacquer touch up. So for me I would hold onto my £350 with the peace of mind that I could buy a new alloy, IF the worst happened. For £200 ish you could get all 4 painted gunmetal grey to cover the diamond cut. Obviously not recommended if leasing.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 09:43 AM   #3
mynamesnotbob
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f90 M5

I heard (but could be wrong) the diamond cut wheels were excluded by the small print
      04-25-2014, 10:00 AM   #4
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Isn't each scuff about £60 to fix? If you're not too careless sounds best to avoid to me?
      04-25-2014, 10:30 AM   #5
dannywooly77
Lieutenant
Rep

Cheers gents!

335d xDrive M Sport Black Saphire, Pro Nav, MSport+, Adaptive Suspension, Performance Kit
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 04:44 AM   #6
Deimos
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d

I got quoted £450 for the wheel and tyre insurance, I think I might be pushing for same price as you have been offered, this includes 10 wheel fixes maximum and upto 5 replacement tyres, I will make sure I take advantage of the policy!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 06:18 AM   #7
brommy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Hang on guys, there are a few issues here!

BMW's alloy wheel insurance DOES cover diamond cut alloys.

Even a minor repair on a diamond cut alloy is likely to cost more than £60 to repair. My BMW dealer stated that the policy limit of £150 is guaranteed to cover the cost of a repair.

If the wheel is not repairable, the £150 can be used towards a replacement.

Finally, the issue that is confusing me - I was told the cost of BMW's policy is fixed as part of their 'treating customers fairly' policy. I was slightly disappointed not be able to haggle a few quid off their 'take it or leave it' price, until I read some of the high prices on this thread (although the £450 price which included tyre insurance seems like a good price).

The 'fixed price' I paid was £249.99!

The policy covers 10 claims of up to £150 over 3 years with a £10 excess payable on each claim.

Perhaps the 'fixed price' for this insurance product is only a policy at some dealers.
      04-26-2014, 06:24 AM   #8
DrSteve
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d xdrive msport+

Don't think it covers diamond cut. I just had a look at the policy documents on the BMW website and they specifically state diamond cut as an exclusion.

Significant exclusions.
"Split rim alloy wheels, multi-piece alloy wheels, polished alloy wheels, diamond cut alloy wheels, chrome finished alloy wheels, liquid black finished alloy wheels."

Last edited by DrSteve; 04-26-2014 at 06:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 06:44 AM   #9
johno
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSteve View Post
Don't think it covers diamond cut. I just had a look at the policy documents on the BMW website and they specifically state diamond cut as an exclusion.

Significant exclusions.
"Split rim alloy wheels, multi-piece alloy wheels, polished alloy wheels, diamond cut alloy wheels, chrome finished alloy wheels, liquid black finished alloy wheels."
My dealer said he couldn't offer me wheel insurance because I had the 442M wheels, which I assume are diamond cut.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 06:47 AM   #10
brommy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I wonder if there are different policies sold by different dealers?

I bought my policy on collection day. I specifically asked if it covered diamond cut alloys as most policies don't. I was told by two dealer staff (my appointed sales guy and then the dealer's finance guy) that their policy does indeed cover diamond cut alloys - the policy was expanded to do so in the past year because they were selling plenty of cars with diamond cut alloys.

In my response, before I paid for the policy, I stated that as both parties (the dealer and myself) know my car has diamond cuts, the dealer would be in trouble for 'miss-selling', if diamond cuts were not covered. They agreed with me and again stated that their poicy DOES cover diamond cuts.
      04-26-2014, 07:02 AM   #11
Steven1077
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i

Yeah my dealer told me before I even asked that it covered diamond cut wheels, he only mentioned it as there was normally an additional cost that he was waiving as my niece worked there, utter BS, it still cost me over £1200 for gap, wheel, and tyre insurance, hardly cheap, and I don't even have the car now!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 07:36 AM   #12
brommy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1077 View Post
Yeah my dealer told me before I even asked that it covered diamond cut wheels, he only mentioned it as there was normally an additional cost that he was waiving as my niece worked there, utter BS, it still cost me over £1200 for gap, wheel, and tyre insurance, hardly cheap, and I don't even have the car now!
Blimey! GAP is the issue with that cost. A local dealer I didn't buy from told me he could get me a £100 discount on GAP - from over £800 to over £700. No thanks!
      04-26-2014, 07:37 AM   #13
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:

Significant exclusions.
Christ so basically 1980s 17 inch 6 spike light silver wheels only that we all had on a 328i
      04-26-2014, 07:51 AM   #14
brommy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterX5 View Post
Christ so basically 1980s 17 inch 6 spike light silver wheels only that we all had on a 328i
Unless you buy the right policy.
      04-26-2014, 10:59 AM   #15
greyt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 & iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brommy View Post
I wonder if there are different policies sold by different dealers?

I bought my policy on collection day. I specifically asked if it covered diamond cut alloys as most policies don't. I was told by two dealer staff (my appointed sales guy and then the dealer's finance guy) that their policy does indeed cover diamond cut alloys - the policy was expanded to do so in the past year because they were selling plenty of cars with diamond cut alloys.

In my response, before I paid for the policy, I stated that as both parties (the dealer and myself) know my car has diamond cuts, the dealer would be in trouble for 'miss-selling', if diamond cuts were not covered. They agreed with me and again stated that their poicy DOES cover diamond cuts.
There are different policies. Pretty sure that Brommy is referring to the Inchscape policy. I have that as well and need to claim for a 19" 403 at some point. I have a deep nick in one of the alloys - no idea how I did it, certainly not kerbed
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 11:26 AM   #16
brommy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyt View Post
There are different policies. Pretty sure that Brommy is referring to the Inchscape policy. I have that as well and need to claim for a 19" 403 at some point. I have a deep nick in one of the alloys - no idea how I did it, certainly not kerbed
My policy was from an Inchcape dealer (Coopers), so that makes sense and explains some of the different responses on this thread.

I believe you need to notify any damage within 2 days of it happening (something to do with it being easier to repair before it oxidises), so if or when you do claim, don't forget to tell them 'the damage has just happened'.
      04-26-2014, 11:55 AM   #17
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Fast forward 2 years......

Were you sold an alloy wheel policy that didn't cover you? Call DICKHEAD & CLINT solicitors to reclaim those DCI payments (Diamond Cut Insurance)
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 12:26 PM   #18
DickieGibbo
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 2016 F32 435dx Msport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brommy View Post
Hang on guys, there are a few issues here!

BMW's alloy wheel insurance DOES cover diamond cut alloys.

Even a minor repair on a diamond cut alloy is likely to cost more than £60 to repair. My BMW dealer stated that the policy limit of £150 is guaranteed to cover the cost of a repair.

If the wheel is not repairable, the £150 can be used towards a replacement.

Finally, the issue that is confusing me - I was told the cost of BMW's policy is fixed as part of their 'treating customers fairly' policy. I was slightly disappointed not be able to haggle a few quid off their 'take it or leave it' price, until I read some of the high prices on this thread (although the £450 price which included tyre insurance seems like a good price).

The 'fixed price' I paid was £249.99!

The policy covers 10 claims of up to £150 over 3 years with a £10 excess payable on each claim.

Perhaps the 'fixed price' for this insurance product is only a policy at some dealers.
My winters removed with a small scuff in my diamond cut alloys (Sport Line Alloys)

I was quotes £125 for a diamond cut repair.

I have looked at alloy wheel insurance is great detail and the majority do exclude diamond cut alloys either on the type or the value of repair which is approximately 3 times more expensive to repair than none diamond cut alloys.

And for GAP cover I paid £110 for 3 years cover. Full value GAP that is.

Dickie
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 12:40 PM   #19
dannywooly77
Lieutenant
Rep

Some good info here guys i'll go back to the dealer with the some questions, cheers for the input

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 01:12 AM   #20
Deimos
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d

My wheel and tyre insurance does cover diamond cut wheels, i had a good look on the internet over the weekend and it seems wheel and tyre for 3 years for £450 is actually quite good, im going with it, especially as im pretty sure that me or the wife will ding the wheels in the first month!
Appreciate 0