F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > This surprised me....
Extreme Powerhouse

04-26-2014, 05:50 AM   #1
DaiBlue
Rep
Drives: Audi Q5

This surprised me....

Popped into my local dealer this morning just for a quick look (as you do), and they had a black 3 series GT msport with the plus pack. I have to say that it looked fantastic. The msport styling and the 19" wheels make the world of the difference to how it looks. The only ones I've seen on the roads have been non-msport models with 17 or 18" wheels and they've looked a bit odd to me. But this one looked completely in proportion and quite imposing. Oh. And it's big. Very big.

Never thought I'd be saying this, but quite tempted - the touring next to it looked a little inferior!!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 05:54 AM   #2
digitall.rebel
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 Saloon

I still think the saloon is the best looking of all 3 series (not considering the 4 of course). But I have to say the 3 GT is a lot better than the 5 GT. I don't know what they were thinking with that car
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 07:21 AM   #3
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Should have gone to Specsavers. :-)
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 07:36 AM   #4
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy.213 View Post
I still think the saloon is the best looking of all 3 series (not considering the 4 of course). But I have to say the 3 GT is a lot better than the 5 GT. I don't know what they were thinking with that car
Sorry have to disagree, the touring by far superior in looks to the saloon.

The saloon is just a bit bland, looking at the 4 series, I can sort of see why they wanted to distance the coupe from the saloon.

The GT looks good, I was tempted but put off by having to pay more than the touring.

Had one for a weekend and would have bought one if they matched the touring deal.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 07:48 AM   #5
brommy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post

The saloon is just a bit bland, looking at the 4 series, I can sort of see why they wanted to distance the coupe from the saloon.

The GT looks good, I was tempted but put off by having to pay more than the touring.

Had one for a weekend and would have bought one if they matched the touring deal.
Totally disagree about the estate looking better than the saloon but it is all just opinions about aesthetics.

Back to the 3GT. I agree with the OP. IMO, it is miles better looking than the 5GT and whilst that is not difficult, in some guises (bigger wheels help), the 3GT looks good.

If comparing the hatch and estate prices, it is worth remembering that the 3GT is a bigger car. If rear legroom is important, the 3GT is easily worth the little extra; again IMO.
      04-26-2014, 07:53 AM   #6
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brommy View Post
Totally disagree about the estate looking better than the saloon but it is all just opinions about aesthetics.

Back to the 3GT. I agree with the OP. IMO, it is miles better looking than the 5GT and whilst that is not difficult, in some guises (bigger wheels help), the 3GT looks good.

If comparing the hatch and estate prices, it is worth remembering that the 3GT is a bigger car. If rear legroom is important, the 3GT is easily worth the little extra; again IMO.
Yeah the 3GT would make a good family car, ideal if kids and a dog.
The MSport 3GT I had over a weekend was good, only issue was it was 2.0i petrol, it was an xdrive with auto. It was better with the bigger engines.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 07:57 AM   #7
DaiBlue
Rep

I was just commenting on how surprised I was by how good it looked.

Most of us (including me) have been put off by how most of them look, which is out of proportion and not quite right. But, I'd be willing to bet that if the car I saw in the showroom this morning was the first time you'd ever seen or heard about the 3GT, it would go near the top of your list. The msport plus pack totally tranforms it.

Like I said, it surprised me.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 08:07 AM   #8
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiBlue View Post

Most of us (including me) have been put off by how most of them look, which is out of proportion and not quite right. But, I'd be willing to bet that if the car I saw in the showroom this morning was the first time you'd ever seen or heard about the 3GT, it would go near the top of your list. The msport plus pack totally tranforms it.

I was at the launch event, had a blast around with a BMW driver (as opposed to salesman), tried a couple of cars and had some fun in M car.

Definitely better looking than the 5GT.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 08:14 AM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiBlue View Post

I saw a well specced 3GT at my dealer just after launch, came away thinking what a good looking car it was. Like a lot of BMW models these days very colour and specification sensitive.

A white 3GT went through our village the other week, wouldn't give it a second look in white, looked so wrong. There was a deep blue metallic (not sure of the colour) 3GT out on the road just this morning, looked good from all angles, definitely had BMW road presence.

BTW, the LCI 5GT has been tweaked in looks, now better fits the BMW family resemblance.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 08:20 AM   #10
digitall.rebel
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 Saloon

Quote:
I was at the launch event, had a blast around with a BMW driver (as opposed to salesman), tried a couple of cars and had some fun in M car.

How does one get invited to such events?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 08:22 AM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Then a 7-series sized hatch is a big car, in my view means proportions don't necessarily sit right with large slabs of surface.

I often look at my F11 and think the car would look much better if just scaled down to the size of an E91 touring. I even go as far as suggest a smaller version of the Five would look better than the F31.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 08:26 AM   #12
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Then a 7-series sized hatch is a big car, in my view means proportions don't necessarily sit right with large slabs of surface.

I often look at my F11 and think the car would look much better if just scaled down to the size of an E91 touring. I even go as far as suggest a smaller version of the Five would look better than the F31.

HighlandPete
Totally, it is the perfect marmite car.

I had one for a drive to Scotland, great inside and great drive, buts it's bigger than my Mondeo and that's a tank.

We originally looked at the 5 series touring, drove one and loved it but too big for our needs.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 11:49 AM   #13
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brommy View Post
Hey!!! some people like going around with a permanently dirty ass
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 12:17 PM   #14
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

I saw an EB 3GT recently on the road, looked pretty poor to me to be honest.

Agree the F31 looks a lot better than the F30, less of them on the road helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 12:30 PM   #15
DaiBlue
Rep

I've not seen an EB one, but from playing on the configurator I don't think it suits the car so I can imagine it looked pretty poor.

For me it has to be either black or sliver, 19" wheels and msport styling. The one in the showroom (wilmslow) looked quite mean and aggressive. Ironically they've got a used Modern just outside and it looks awful.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 12:41 PM   #16
UK_
Captain
Rep
Drives: 911

Quote:

Saloons in every car range are known for being more stylish than their estate brothers and IMO the F30 is no different. Whilst the touring looks good (for an estate), it will always look like a hearse to me (especially in black) and is a practical rather than a stylish choice. Also, estates are never thought to be as cool, hence no current M division estate cars.
      04-26-2014, 12:51 PM   #17
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK_ View Post
Saloons in every car range are known for being more stylish than their estate brothers and IMO the F30 is no different. Whilst the touring looks good (for an estate), it will always look like a hearse to me (especially in black) and is a practical rather than a stylish choice. Also, estates are never thought to be as cool, hence no current M division estate cars.

I would say hatches tend to be the most stylish, agreed usually saloons look better than some estates.

In BMW case not really, the coupes are much nicer than the saloons.

The thing is everyone looks at a German saloon and thinks Repmobiles.

That is probably the biggest negative, saloons invariably equal a standard company car.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 12:54 PM   #18
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

Surely an estate car looks as though you are on the way somewhere to sell something.....

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 12:59 PM   #19
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Greek View Post
Surely an estate car looks as though you are on the way somewhere to sell something.....

Nah, usually to the tip or disposing of the odd hitch hiker
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 01:03 PM   #20
UK_
Captain
Rep
Drives: 911

Quote:
I would say hatches tend to be the most stylish, agreed usually saloons look better than some estates.

In BMW case not really, the coupes are much nicer than the saloons.

The thing is everyone looks at a German saloon and thinks Repmobiles.

That is probably the biggest negative, saloons invariably equal a standard company car.
I did not say saloons were the MOST stylish, just more stylish than estates. I think most manufacturers would like to think the convertible version is the prettiest variant if it is in the range but that is a matter of opinion.

Like private buyers make choices about body style, I know plenty of company car owners who have chosen an estate for family needs and actually get given them as more suited for carrying sales materials etc depending on their jobs.
      04-26-2014, 01:09 PM   #21
335dJa
Captain
Rep
Drives: Yes

Ahh, got to love the internet, there's nothing you can't argue about
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 01:11 PM   #22
General
No_Country
Rep

I think the convertible v coupe discussion is another of those round in circles discussions.

It's probably the tightest area in choice.

It usually ends up with the estate agent v hair dresser approach.
Appreciate 0