F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > vibration on very cold start-Any ideas?
proTUNING Freaks

01-10-2022, 02:53 AM   #1
Tapped73
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335d

vibration on very cold start-Any ideas?

Hi All

Recently got a 30k mile '17 plate 335D. All is fine with it bar one minor issue. On very cold start you can hear and feel a vibration through the dash, console pedals etc which suggests a potential hard foul condition somewhere.

Is there a common contact point that i should check? Once she's even mildy warm its gone and she's smooth and quiet...so it could either be temperature or cold-idle speed related I guess

Any thoughts of what to check first very much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 05:40 PM   #2
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335XD

Number one issue is the air intake going from the bumper back to the airfilter. You will need to sort this out first and then see if there's an improvement. What generally works is you drill a 5mm whole and just use a plastic rivets. That should stop the vibration.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 02:53 AM   #3
Tapped73
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpro View Post
Number one issue is the air intake going from the bumper back to the airfilter. You will need to sort this out first and then see if there's an improvement. What generally works is you drill a 5mm whole and just use a plastic rivets. That should stop the vibration.
I didnt see your reply!

Yesterday I had a poke around and yes, you are spot on. the "long" section is free to slide about 3-4mm towards the cabin with nothing to constrain it. When I grab it and pull it forward "no noise" :-)

Is it the case that the trunking contacts the a/c pipes which then carries the noise into the cabin??

Also wondering if its perhaps the slightly raised cold idle speed ( I assume its raised...i havent checked) that sets it off as when warm the car seems to become quiet?

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 02:31 AM   #4
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapped73 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpro View Post
I didnt see your reply!

Yesterday I had a poke around and yes, you are spot on. the "long" section is free to slide about 3-4mm towards the cabin with nothing to constrain it. When I grab it and pull it forward "no noise" :-)

Is it the case that the trunking contacts the a/c pipes which then carries the noise into the cabin??

Also wondering if its perhaps the slightly raised cold idle speed ( I assume its raised...i havent checked) that sets it off as when warm the car seems to become quiet?

Cheers!
All I did I riveted the pipe with 5mm plastic rivet which holds the pipe firm. I will take a pic when i get home. Also the AC pipe I used a bit of rtv silicone to bond it in place and let it overnight to set. The noise is completely gone.

You can try raising the idle but in my case i found the 20rpm increments are not sufficient

But I have to say, Im generally disappointed with the build quality of the F30.

I have some strange rattle inside the dash, its like the whole plastic is creaking.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 08:06 AM   #5
Primax
Private
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW 420D F36 2015

Can you guys provide a picture of the spot please?

thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 01:10 PM   #6
ade555
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 430D

I had very similar problem, my solution was to remove the air duct pipe and fit 1mm foam tape around and refit the pipe, still allow to have some form of movement but no more vibration.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 04:14 AM   #7
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep

This is what I did. Drill both end while the pipe is fully in place and fit a plastic trim rivet. The rattle is completely eliminated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Enabled1410.00
      03-13-2022, 08:38 AM   #8
Xava
Rep
Drives: F10 535xd 2016

Check injector corrections on computer and glow plugs power
Appreciate 0