F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Meanwhile, somewhere in Mexico...super knock
ARMA SPEED

11-30-2022, 12:25 PM   #1
CoolATIGuy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 340i 6MT xDrive

Question Meanwhile, somewhere in Mexico...super knock

2016 340i x-drive, 6MT, M Sport, ~125,000 miles

BMS intake, ctless dp, B58TU HPFP, PTF Flex Fuel Kit, BootMod3 MultiMap Stage 2+, H&R lowering springs (blue, I believe Super Sport). Front radiator (including rock guards) was replaced/installed this past April, with OEM. Everything else should pretty much be stock. Previous owner said he replaced the clutch with new stock clutch sometime before I purchased it, so probably ~2 years ago I would guess.

I've put ~31,500 miles on it since I purchased August 2021. Regular oil changes every ~3000-4000 miles with OEM BMW oil and filter from dealer. I have not done sparks, plugs, or coil packs in the time that I've owned it, and not sure if/when the previous owner ever did either. I do know my tires are down to ~4/32-5/32 and due to be replaced.

These first 3 logs were from Monday. As you can see the IAF is super high. I didn't look at the logs until after the 3rd log, when I got a check engine light and it threw codes 20A201 and 108B06. The 20A201 seemed to indicate the charge air intercooler was low on coolant; I checked the reservoir, and it was low, took ~0.3 liter of my 50/50 premixed BMW blue coolant to get it back to just under the "Max" mark. I've had to fill it several times since then as well as it keeps slowly dropping low.

Last week (before the HPFP, flex fuel kit, and BM3 tune), I was getting on the interstate and saw smoke coming off the car and my heat went cold. I pulled over, and realized I had a coolant leak. Had it towed to my shop, they found the radiator hose that goes under the manifold was broken in half (Part # 17 12 8 616 548), so they replaced that, also the Engine block coolant connector (Part # 11118619408) and Cylinder head pipe (Part # 17128616555) were browish so they did those while they were in there as well. Topped off with coolant and I believe pressure tested it. When I found the charge air intercooler reservoir low, I checked the main coolant reservoir, I topped it off a touch but it was mostly fine. These are two separate systems with two separate reservoirs, so I don't think what they did should have been related to the charge air intercooler coolant system, right?

Log 1 (file 1.csv) (this was on Bootmod3 MultiMap Stage 2+, with straight 93 pump gas):

https://datazap.me/u/coolatiguy/boot...as?log=0&data=

Log 2 (file 2.csv) (this was also on Bootmod3 MultiMap Stage 2+, with straight 93 pump gas):

https://datazap.me/u/coolatiguy/boot...-0?log=0&data=

Log 3 (file 3.csv) (this was on Bootmod3 MultiMap Stage 2+, running ~27-E29 in the tank with the PTF Flex Fuel Kit and B58TU HPFP):

https://datazap.me/u/coolatiguy/boot...29?log=0&data=

After I filled up the coolant in the reservoir for the charge air intercooler on Monday and cleared the codes, it ran a LOT better yesterday, much more power. However, on my way home last night, I gave it some power in 3rd gear on the highway and I think I felt it miss, give a Drivetrain malfunction, a check engine light, and threw codes 152518 (super knocking cylinder 5: permanent injection shutdown), 120408 (charge pressure control, shutdown: pressure build-locked), 153300, and 153305. It was running, but poorly. I immediately pulled over and shut it down. After I cleared the codes and started it back up, it seemed to run fine, but I took it very easy home.

I checked the charge air intercooler reservoir this morning, it was low again - not quite as low as Monday, and didn't throw the code, but still low. I topped it off, and did a few pulls once it warmed up. It was strong, no issues at all for file 4 or 5 below/attached. Then I did another pull (which I wasn't logging, ugh), felt like it misfired again, and threw all the same codes as it did last night. Once I clear the codes and restart it, it seems to run fine, but obviously super knock isn't something to mess around with.

Log 4 (file 4.csv) (this was on Bootmod3 MultiMap Stage 2+, running ~27-E29 in the tank with the PTF Flex Fuel Kit and B58TU HPFP):

Log 5 (file 5.csv) (this was on Bootmod3 MultiMap Stage 2+, running ~27-E29 in the tank with the PTF Flex Fuel Kit and B58TU HPFP) - the log kept running for a bit after the pull, I guess I didn't get it stopped right away:

So the issue with the first 3 logs/pulls, seemed to be the charge air was getting super hot (looked like up to 190f?), and pulling power. Topping off the coolant it seemed happy.

Then the last two logs looked good (to my untrained eye), but obviously throwing super knock codes is...not good..

Thoughts here? As well as any other thoughts on my logs in general?

Last edited by CoolATIGuy; 11-30-2022 at 12:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
eluded3064.00
      11-30-2022, 05:12 PM   #2
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

It's late November and you're stock turbo. No way should IAT's be getting anymore than 30F over ambient or so.

Logging charge air temp (intake air temp before throttle in BM3 parameters) would help as well.

Sounds like an intercooler cooling system problem. Might've not been bled properly. The fact that you keep having to top it off leads me to believe 1 of 2 things: there's still air in the system, or you're losing coolant somehow, either through a hose/heat exchanger/intake manifold or through the head gasket. I doubt the head gasket part though.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 05:31 PM   #3
CoolATIGuy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
It's late November and you're stock turbo. No way should IAT's be getting anymore than 30F over ambient or so.

Logging charge air temp (intake air temp before throttle in BM3 parameters) would help as well.

Sounds like an intercooler cooling system problem. Might've not been bled properly. The fact that you keep having to top it off leads me to believe 1 of 2 things: there's still air in the system, or you're losing coolant somehow, either through a hose/heat exchanger/intake manifold or through the head gasket. I doubt the head gasket part though.
Thanks for the reply G.Newt!

I have almost all the logging options enable that were recommended in other threads - do you know where I would find charge air temp in BM3 data logging? Maybe I overlooked it..

Ambient temp here is ~40-60 degrees right now - definitely cool

Do you think the inter cooler cooling system being low on coolant would have caused the codes and misfires last night and today? Super knock, etc? The IAT’s today didn’t seem too hot from what I saw on the pulls I did log or the data screen I had up while driving

Also, how sensitive is it to coolant level in the intercooler reservoir? Is just below min mark enough for it to cause all of these issues? It wasn’t dry
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 11:37 PM   #4
blacksapphire440i
Novice
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolATIGuy View Post
2016 340i x-drive, 6MT, M Sport, ~125,000 miles

BMS intake, ctless dp, B58TU HPFP, PTF Flex Fuel Kit, BootMod3 MultiMap Stage 2+, H&R lowering springs (blue, I believe Super Sport). Front radiator (including rock guards) was replaced/installed this past April, with OEM. Everything else should pretty much be stock. Previous owner said he replaced the clutch with new stock clutch sometime before I purchased it, so probably ~2 years ago I would guess.

I've put ~31,500 miles on it since I purchased August 2021. Regular oil changes every ~3000-4000 miles with OEM BMW oil and filter from dealer. I have not done sparks, plugs, or coil packs in the time that I've owned it, and not sure if/when the previous owner ever did either. I do know my tires are down to ~4/32-5/32 and due to be replaced.

These first 3 logs were from Monday. As you can see the IAF is super high. I didn't look at the logs until after the 3rd log, when I got a check engine light and it threw codes 20A201 and 108B06. The 20A201 seemed to indicate the charge air intercooler was low on coolant; I checked the reservoir, and it was low, took ~0.3 liter of my 50/50 premixed BMW blue coolant to get it back to just under the "Max" mark. I've had to fill it several times since then as well as it keeps slowly dropping low.

Last week (before the HPFP, flex fuel kit, and BM3 tune), I was getting on the interstate and saw smoke coming off the car and my heat went cold. I pulled over, and realized I had a coolant leak. Had it towed to my shop, they found the radiator hose that goes under the manifold was broken in half (Part # 17 12 8 616 548), so they replaced that, also the Engine block coolant connector (Part # 11118619408) and Cylinder head pipe (Part # 17128616555) were browish so they did those while they were in there as well. Topped off with coolant and I believe pressure tested it. When I found the charge air intercooler reservoir low, I checked the main coolant reservoir, I topped it off a touch but it was mostly fine. These are two separate systems with two separate reservoirs, so I don't think what they did should have been related to the charge air intercooler coolant system, right?

Log 1 (file 1.csv) (this was on Bootmod3 MultiMap Stage 2+, with straight 93 pump gas):

https://datazap.me/u/coolatiguy/boot...as?log=0&data=

Log 2 (file 2.csv) (this was also on Bootmod3 MultiMap Stage 2+, with straight 93 pump gas):

Log 3 (file 3.csv) (this was on Bootmod3 MultiMap Stage 2+, running ~27-E29 in the tank with the PTF Flex Fuel Kit and B58TU HPFP):

After I filled up the coolant in the reservoir for the charge air intercooler on Monday and cleared the codes, it ran a LOT better yesterday, much more power. However, on my way home last night, I gave it some power in 3rd gear on the highway and I think I felt it miss, give a Drivetrain malfunction, a check engine light, and threw codes 152518 (super knocking cylinder 5: permanent injection shutdown), 120408 (charge pressure control, shutdown: pressure build-locked), 153300, and 153305. It was running, but poorly. I immediately pulled over and shut it down. After I cleared the codes and started it back up, it seemed to run fine, but I took it very easy home.

I checked the charge air intercooler reservoir this morning, it was low again - not quite as low as Monday, and didn't throw the code, but still low. I topped it off, and did a few pulls once it warmed up. It was strong, no issues at all for file 4 or 5 below/attached. Then I did another pull (which I wasn't logging, ugh), felt like it misfired again, and threw all the same codes as it did last night. Once I clear the codes and restart it, it seems to run fine, but obviously super knock isn't something to mess around with.

Log 4 (file 4.csv) (this was on Bootmod3 MultiMap Stage 2+, running ~27-E29 in the tank with the PTF Flex Fuel Kit and B58TU HPFP):

Log 5 (file 5.csv) (this was on Bootmod3 MultiMap Stage 2+, running ~27-E29 in the tank with the PTF Flex Fuel Kit and B58TU HPFP) - the log kept running for a bit after the pull, I guess I didn't get it stopped right away:

So the issue with the first 3 logs/pulls, seemed to be the charge air was getting super hot (looked like up to 190f?), and pulling power. Topping off the coolant it seemed happy.

Then the last two logs looked good (to my untrained eye), but obviously throwing super knock codes is...not good..

Thoughts here? As well as any other thoughts on my logs in general?
Surprised no one linked this video because its the same exact code as youre dealing with

Might be that your intercooler is leaking internally
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 11:50 PM   #5
CoolATIGuy
Private First Class
Rep

I actually did see that video, Kern is always helpful. I know that relates to the first code I received; however, do you think the other codes (super knock, drive train malfunction, etc) are related to the intercooler coolant level and charge air temps?

The temps most of my 45 mile drive seemed to stay around 20-40 degrees over ambient; how quick could they suddenly elevate?

Also, would the charge air intercooler coolant level have anything to do with head gasket? I thought that was run off the other, main coolant system?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 07:23 AM   #6
CoolATIGuy
Private First Class
Rep

I think I found the intake air temp before throttle under the “Other” parameters
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 11:19 AM   #7
CoolATIGuy
Private First Class
Rep

My shop did a pressure test today, no coolant leaks, so that's good. They did bleed the system as well and found it had a decent amount of air in it - I've added ~3/4 of a liter of coolant total so far this week, and they said they added another ~1/2 liter or so.

They did check my plugs (which I haven't ever changed since I got it ~32,000 miles ago, and not sure when the previous owner did), and they said I had Champion plugs with what appears to be a pretty big gap (maybe out of the box). They have NGK plugs ordered for me that they plan to gap around .020"-.022", so I'll start there.

Hopefully between new plugs and the coolant being burped, she'll run happier. We shall see..

Printing TripTik to Mexico now...
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2022, 07:43 PM   #8
CoolATIGuy
Private First Class
Rep

So still having issues, even after new NGK spark plugs...updated log here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=29637646
Appreciate 0