F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > At what level of the pound's devaluation do BMWs get too expensive?
ARMA SPEED

12-13-2018, 04:10 AM   #1
pdk42
Eh? Team member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335i

Garage List
At what level of the pound's devaluation do BMWs get too expensive?

Watching the pound's enormous collapse this last week, I'm sure it'll be reflected soon in increased imported car prices. If we end up with tariffs following Brexit it'll only get worse. I'm beginning to wonder if I'll be able to afford a new BMW when I'm next due to change.

Last edited by pdk42; 12-13-2018 at 04:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 05:13 AM   #2
doncarlyon
Captain
Rep
Drives: Megane RS 300 Trophy

It'll be reet!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 05:23 AM   #3
Abzynthe
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Gran Coupe LCI

If they become more expensive, will that mean that current ones will hold their value?

I doubt it, but would be good for people on PCP if they do as value will be higher than balloon payment.
      12-13-2018, 05:24 AM   #4
ossi1
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M Sport 340i

I read somewhere that BMW and Mercedes have enough margin in their prices to deal with it.

Bearing in mind how big a market the UK is for the Germans, I'm struggling why Merkel is hanging on the coat tails of Juncker in making this whole thing so bloody difficult and insisting there will be no renegotiation etc. Lost UK car sales would have a significant Impact on the German car Industry and its 800,000 workforce.

That said, I have no particular brand loyalty and without doubt someone else would try and fill their boots.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 05:42 AM   #5
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Still higher today that back in parts of 2017. So can't see much changing.
Previous.MINI JCW. E92 325i. 435d M235i.M135i. 635d Coupe, E92 M3 manual, E92 M3 DCT Competition Pack. E92 335i, Porsche Cayman S Gen2, 135i Coupe. E92 320d, MK5 R32. MK5 Golf GTi,MK5 Golf GT-TDI,E46 318Ci.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 05:44 AM   #6
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ossi1 View Post
Bearing in mind how big a market the UK is for the Germans, I'm struggling why Merkel is hanging on the coat tails of Juncker in making this whole thing so bloody difficult and insisting there will be no renegotiation etc. .
This^
Previous.MINI JCW. E92 325i. 435d M235i.M135i. 635d Coupe, E92 M3 manual, E92 M3 DCT Competition Pack. E92 335i, Porsche Cayman S Gen2, 135i Coupe. E92 320d, MK5 R32. MK5 Golf GTi,MK5 Golf GT-TDI,E46 318Ci.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 06:29 AM   #7
MarkAndrew
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 335d Xdrive Msport Touring

Another real world problem ! Jesus
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 06:37 AM   #8
ByTheSea
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 320i MSport Auto LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Watching the pound's enormous collapse this last week...
It dropped by around 1.75%. Probably significant if you're trading in millions of shares, but much smaller than the usual yearly price increase of a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 06:53 AM   #9
Mrklaw
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 LCI 320i msport

Quote:
I read somewhere that BMW and Mercedes have enough margin in their prices to deal with it.

Bearing in mind how big a market the UK is for the Germans, I'm struggling why Merkel is hanging on the coat tails of Juncker in making this whole thing so bloody difficult and insisting there will be no renegotiation etc. Lost UK car sales would have a significant Impact on the German car Industry and its 800,000 workforce.

That said, I have no particular brand loyalty and without doubt someone else would try and fill their boots.
They're not making anything difficult. Their position is pretty simple. They can't give us full access to the market with no freedom of movement, no paying in to the EU funds etc - otherwise why wouldn't every other EU country follow suit?

It us that apparantly wants to leave, even though we benefit from subsidies, we benefit from available workers (and can put a brake on if we want to stop 'johnny foreigner' even though the government has never used it), we gain trade without tariffs and additional costs, we kept the pound, we have a veto against anything we don't like, we have a huge services industry that has free access to Europe.

The tories are supposed to be the party of the economy yet leaving the EU is an almighty screw up economically. and for what? slightly more people that voted wanted to leave than didn't - but still a minority of those qualified to vote and a significant minority of the population. And even then nobody had to give a reason why they wanted to leave - yet the government is happy to put words in their mouths and negotiate some nebulous deal that is basically impossible to actually cover off all leave voters' intentions.

This is the biggest screw up I've ever witnessed in this country and I'm really sorry for my kids that will have to suffer because of it.

Appreciate 10
JD64270.50
2CRO4TV228.00
djcowlin283.00
g9icy340.50
willjames709.00
RobUK2811.00
1 AKY459.00
Lincoln61746.50
      12-13-2018, 07:35 AM   #10
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrklaw View Post
They're not making anything difficult. Their position is pretty simple. They can't give us full access to the market with no freedom of movement, no paying in to the EU funds etc - otherwise why wouldn't every other EU country follow suit?

It us that apparantly wants to leave, even though we benefit from subsidies, we benefit from available workers (and can put a brake on if we want to stop 'johnny foreigner' even though the government has never used it), we gain trade without tariffs and additional costs, we kept the pound, we have a veto against anything we don't like, we have a huge services industry that has free access to Europe.

The tories are supposed to be the party of the economy yet leaving the EU is an almighty screw up economically. and for what? slightly more people that voted wanted to leave than didn't - but still a minority of those qualified to vote and a significant minority of the population. And even then nobody had to give a reason why they wanted to leave - yet the government is happy to put words in their mouths and negotiate some nebulous deal that is basically impossible to actually cover off all leave voters' intentions.

This is the biggest screw up I've ever witnessed in this country and I'm really sorry for my kids that will have to suffer because of it.

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 08:31 AM   #11
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

I wouldn't order a new German/French car at present if a risk delivery post 31 March. Could get stung with a large surcharge from tariffs if we leave without a deal
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 08:46 AM   #12
doncarlyon
Captain
Rep
Drives: Megane RS 300 Trophy

I ordered an Audi in May, still hasn't turned up...
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 08:51 AM   #13
2CRO4TV
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 BSM M340i

Garage List
2021 M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Excellent summation of the current situation we are in. Boils my blood listening to people like Rees-Mogg who would not be affected by this horrible decision.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2018, 09:24 AM   #14
ossi1
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M Sport 340i

Quote:

Oh please spare me the tears.

If BMW and Germany want our custom they will have show some flexibility. The thread is about the cost of a BMW not your poor kids who are more than likely concerned about the cost of their roaming phone contract.
Appreciate 2
      12-13-2018, 09:28 AM   #15
ByTheSea
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 320i MSport Auto LCI

Have I stumbled onto the Daily Mail site. Ooops no, it's Bimmerpost, where they discuss cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 10:21 AM   #16
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:

If BMW and Germany want our custom they will have show some flexibility. The thread is about the cost of a BMW not your poor kids who are more than likely concerned about the cost of their roaming phone contract.
I suspect you are wrong. If we want their cars we'll have to show them our money. Not like there's much viable UK completion.

Everyone thinks that German manufacturers, particularly car makers, are going to apply some pressure to the EU. Pigs might fly.

I think you're missing the point on kids. Kids become adults eventually and have the same concerns as you now. Presumably you were a child once?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 11:02 AM   #17
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 435d M Sport Plus

Quote:

We could all buy British (well sort of !!) and all have Jaguars, they just need to increase their range and few tweaks here and there. Lovely jubbly
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 11:19 AM   #18
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Quote:
Originally Posted by APJ View Post
Quote:

We could all buy British (well sort of !!) and all have Jaguars, they just need to increase their range and few tweaks here and there. Lovely jubbly
Interesting have been thinking exactly that. Have purchased 29 BMW's in a row but whilst I wanted to remain in the EU I have been pretty unimpressed by the EU and statements from businesses like BMW in these discussions. Has made me think I should be doing more to help jobs in the UK. So my first Jaguar a possibility whatever the outcome

Even looking to buy U.K. produced food for Xmas. Has been a bit of an eye opener and surprised by amount of choice. Local sparkling wine and cheese as good if not better than the French etc
Appreciate 1
NISFAN3487.00
      12-13-2018, 11:22 AM   #19
Mrklaw
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 LCI 320i msport

Quote:

We were taking about the price of cars until you mentioned why Germany and the EU we’re making things so difficult for us
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 12:15 PM   #20
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

You want to try working for a German company as well as owning a German car, buggered if I know how my future is going. I'm also learning German.... might as well move there!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 09:12 PM   #21
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Watching the pound's enormous collapse this last week, I'm sure it'll be reflected soon in increased imported car prices. If we end up with tariffs following Brexit it'll only get worse. I'm beginning to wonder if I'll be able to afford a new BMW when I'm next due to change.
I bought our current car - Tesla, immediatly post Brexit vote result because of this exact reason. The invoice price of the car was £71k in 2016, and the same car now is £88k.

Frankly I couldnt careless about the politics of Brexit, but what the £ in my wage packet gets me interms of goods/services is far more important.

I remember back in 2010/11when sourcing AR design down pipes from the states for my old 335i and it was nearly 1:1.6 £:$ rato, and in 2007 when on holiday it was something crazy like 1:1.8 £:$ ratio. I seem to remember at that time even importing wheels in from the US didnt seem crazy - and something people on this forum did. I ried to price up some wheels for the Tesla from a US site recently, maddness interms of total cost to me.

The way things are going the £ has more chance of hitting parity with the $ than go back up to former levels, which ultimately means all of us poorer in the global market even though we all worl just as hard as we did a few years ago .
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 10:41 PM   #22
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
5 year
Attached Images

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 12-13-2018 at 10:48 PM..
Appreciate 0