F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > [90% complete] [USB AND STEREO BT WORKING!] DIY HU_NBT Retrofit
proTUNING Freaks

01-12-2014, 12:53 PM   #199
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Office message function and iPhone are a known issue. It seems to work only with certain iPhones and OS.

For BMW Live, make sure you update services via iDrive, and that the phone is set for Bluetooth Data connection.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 01:50 PM   #200
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Hey Shawn,

I got a question about the KOMBI since you retrofitted 6WB to your F10. I'm going to buy a MOST optical cable to go from the KOMBI over to the NBT but I'm really worried about getting the red dot if I run the car without something connected properly.

How sensitive is the 6WA if I accidentally run the car without the cluster connected? If I do get the red dot, is it easy to dismiss it via coding?
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 02:01 PM   #201
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus View Post
Hey Shawn,

I got a question about the KOMBI since you retrofitted 6WB to your F10. I'm going to buy a MOST optical cable to go from the KOMBI over to the NBT but I'm really worried about getting the red dot if I run the car without something connected properly.

How sensitive is the 6WA if I accidentally run the car without the cluster connected? If I do get the red dot, is it easy to dismiss it via coding?
Red tamper dot comes ONLY from VIN mismatch between Kombi and CAS module, so connection to Most bus is not an issue.

And, even if you get Red Dot, once you correct VIN Mismatch, it will go away. It is not permanent.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 02:10 PM   #202
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330D M-Sport Auto

Do you have a link to a thread describing these iPhone USB issues Shawn? I've tried three different phones with two different os versions, all the same problem.

What do you mean by make sure phone is set for Bluetooth data connection?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 03:33 PM   #203
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyman View Post
Do you have a link to a thread describing these iPhone USB issues Shawn? I've tried three different phones with two different os versions, all the same problem.

What do you mean by make sure phone is set for Bluetooth data connection?
I don't have a specific thread, but I seen it mentioned over and over again.

For BMW Live, must must me setup for Tethering.

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 05:33 PM   #204
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

My phone plan is enabled for tethering already. I use it from the iPad all the time.

Is there a specific setting that needs enabling? Tethering on the iPhone only usually applies to Personal Hotspot which is used when other devices make a wifi connection to the phone. There are no wifi settings on the iDrive from what I remember seeing.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 08:57 PM   #205
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My phone plan is enabled for tethering already. I use it from the iPad all the time.

Is there a specific setting that needs enabling? Tethering on the iPhone only usually applies to Personal Hotspot which is used when other devices make a wifi connection to the phone. There are no wifi settings on the iDrive from what I remember seeing.
I have no idea. I am on a corporate Blackberry, and do not own an iPhone.

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 01:05 AM   #206
vitchie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Garage List
Hi guys, quick question. I'm considering retrofitting NBT, I'm coming from HU_Entry. What happens when you take your car in for a service and they update the car, do they read that you have NBT and update accordingly or will it throw it all out since they still think that you have HU_Entry installed. What will happen to warrantee?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 01:36 AM   #207
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

It's a grey area. The simple solution is to refit your old HU before taking for servicing.

I believe the actual situation is if you take the car in for a warranty repair which involves an electrical fault, BMW Germany may claim your retrofit caused it.

If it was a failure in something unrelated (e.g. The engine) then you would be ok. I haven't decide what I'll do yet. I may just leave it for a service and see what happens. Hopefully since my car is new somebody will have done it before me and commented here.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 05:45 AM   #208
vitchie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Garage List
Thanks guys, I'm really keen on this, what is the going rate for a NBT? Bimmertech or cheaper?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 07:36 AM   #209
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitchie View Post
Thanks guys, I'm really keen on this, what is the going rate for a NBT? Bimmertech or cheaper?
It's around USD$3000 for the NBT + Hardware activation if you go through Bimmer-Tech or Bimmerretrofit and the head unit will come with your country's maps pre-loaded. I believe the coding is also included if you get it through them.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 02:19 PM   #210
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I bought the complete kit from eBay for £650 which is the going rate in the UK. Then you just need an activation module / emulator or like Shawn says buy all new codes.

Ps I've decided I can't put up without being able to code the NBT with the emulator installed. I'm going to sell it and have already ordered another one that doesn't have coding restrictions from eBay.

Last edited by steddyman; 01-13-2014 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 10:01 PM   #211
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I bought the complete kit from eBay for £650 which is the going rate in the UK. Then you just need an activation module / emulator or like Shawn says buy all new codes.

Ps I've decided I can't put up without being able to code the NBT with the emulator installed. I'm going to sell it and have already ordered another one that doesn't have coding restrictions from eBay.
How much did you pay for Bimmer-Tech's emulator?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 01:08 AM   #212
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

It was €399

I had a negative experience with them, but to be fair to them their customers aren't the likes of me. They probably sell and get rave reviews from people who are too scared to code their cars.

I was just pissed off they didn't tell you about this code lock before you bought it.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 01:31 PM   #213
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yungming View Post
I got my emulator for USD40 and it works perfectly, also I have bought a connector harness so I don't have to cut my original wires, I just plug and play my current to my own harness
Yungming! Do you have the pictures of the KOMBI and the MOST connector yet? Let me know
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 05:12 PM   #214
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Right after extensive searching on here and other sites, I can find no reported issues with the F30 with Pro Nav not charging iPhones in the arm rest. This problem seems to be unique to the NBT retrofit.

Aritaurus and 1lyfe I don't suppose you've tried connecting an iPhone to see what happens? I know Token Master is reporting the same issue on his retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 05:55 PM   #215
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Right after extensive searching on here and other sites, I can find no reported issues with the F30 with Pro Nav not charging iPhones in the arm rest. This problem seems to be unique to the NBT retrofit.

Aritaurus and 1lyfe I don't suppose you've tried connecting an iPhone to see what happens? I know Token Master is reporting the same issue on his retrofit.
I use a iPhone 5 and it charges perfectly fine using my armrest USB port, I can be using it for USB Media or BMW Apps and it wouldn't matter.

1lyfe hasn't been able to test the USB yet because he did not want to break the leads on his OEM cable but I came from CIC so my wiring is much different from a car that originally had ENTRY.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 06:11 PM   #216
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
So it seems like these are the pros and cons of upgrading from various setups.

HU_ENTRY to HU_NBT

Pros

- Bluetooth Antenna is already in the front and does not need to be rewired
- Bluetooth Mic is also in the front so it does not need to be rewired
- USB Cable can be just rotated 180 degrees for correct pinout
- Radio FAKRA connection fits perfectly
- You can use the same CID cable from HU_ENTRY on HU_NBT

Cons

- If you have BKOMBI and not 6WA, you will not be able to get the nav arrows to show up
- You may have issues getting your car to recognize the CIC controller
- You will need to fit a after market GPS antenna and it will be hanging on your dash and thus your GPS reception will not be perfect
- USB port in the arm rest may not charge your device but can be used for media stream

Added Functionality

- Album Cover Art
- Video over USB
- On Board Navigation
- Office
- Extended Bluetooth
- Music storable on HDD
- Additional language support
- Android Support for BMW Apps (Only for 07/13)

HU_CIC to HU_NBT

Pros

- You have a 6WA cluster so nav directions will work and it will fully communicate with NBT as NBT is designed to work with the 6WA cluster
- You have a OEM GPS Antenna so it is guaranteed that you will have the best GPS reception
- USB integration works flawlessly
- You can use your existing CIC controller (No modification necessary)

Cons

- You will need a new CID cable for the new 8.8" screen
- Bluetooth Antenna and AUX are wired to the combox and thus, you will need to run 1 HSD cable and two FAKRA cables to the NBT
- Bluetooth Mic is built into the fibre that connects into the combox via a 16 pin connector so it will be almost impossible to rewire that back to the NBT
- You will need a new MOST that connects your 6WA cluster to the NBT otherwise the trip computer and service intervals will not work.
- Your radio will no longer work as HU_ENTRY has two cables for the radio - AM and FM, CIC only has one
- Sound is not going to work so you will need to plug your amp directly into the fuse box

Added functionality

- Album cover art on stored music on HDD
- Video over USB
- Additional Language Support
- Android Support for BMW Apps (Only for 07/13)

Last edited by steve@codemybimmer; 01-15-2014 at 01:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 12:52 AM   #217
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Wow, there's one going for US$680 on ebay right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-F30-NBT-...60b982&vxp=mtr

But it looks suspicious since the wires were completely cut ...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 01:04 AM   #218
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

This is what I don't understand with the USB. Not only did myself and TokenMaster have to rotate the plug 180 degrees, we also had to then fit a USB extension cable in the armrest that swaps Data+/- and 5v/Gnd. Without that nothing works.

Can I check which connector on the back of the NBT you used?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 01:08 AM   #219
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Also, your Cons for Pro Nav on HU _Entry aren't correct. I didn't t have to make any changes to the amp or cables in the boot to get sound with the HK audio system. I didn't get any sound originally because the donor NBT was configured for a different sound system. As soon as I VO coded the NBT, sound started working.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 01:20 AM   #220
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Also, your Cons for Pro Nav on HU _Entry aren't correct. I didn't t have to make any changes to the amp or cables in the boot to get sound with the HK audio system. I didn't get any sound originally because the donor NBT was configured for a different sound system. As soon as I VO coded the NBT, sound started working.
I meant to put that on CIC to NBT, thanks for pointing that out though. It's been changed.
Appreciate 0