F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > MPPSK, first impressions
ARMA SPEED

06-18-2018, 06:09 AM   #23
Manjot
Rep
Drives: 340I MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
I actually like the sound of the MPPSK exhaust in Comfort. Makes the car sound a lot sportier and reminds you what you're driving at all times
As you say, at a constant speed, there's no drone and its little different to stock. Motorway cruising at 75mph for example is just fine
Shoot me down but I'm really not bothered about bangs and pops. I just wanted more power and a deeper, throatier exhaust - and that's what I got

It definitely gives more power and that deeper, throatier sound. Love the sound of it in the enclosed car parks between 2/3k rpm when deaccelerating. It'll probably take a few weeks to get over the 'heartbreak' of missing bangs. Yes i'm glad comfort os bit louder, I think i'm trying to find reasons to hate it at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 11:41 PM   #24
ishowerinjager
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M Performance Editio

I think that's exactly what your doing. The setup and sound is amazing. I have to say you're probably the first person I've ever read about that wishes they could have their money back.

Wait till you start getting random comments about how nice your exhaust sounds from strangers and I think you'll fall in love with it.
2017 340i M Performance Edition: Fashion Grey, MPPSK, M performance front splitter, rear diffuser, side sills, black grille, CF spoiler, 405M 20s, 8AT, full Marino interior and dash, adaptive suspension
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2018, 05:32 AM   #25
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

FWIW I definitely do still get pops and bangs, the bangs are not as frequent as they used to be, but definitely there. I had a 'spirited' run to and from hospital last night and there were plenty of both.
      06-19-2018, 09:38 AM   #26
oksymoroni
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

I still get the pops and bangs with mine as well. I always use 93 octane "Top Tier" fuel though. I make sure the car is at operating temp, take it up to at least 5K in 2nd or 3rd, lift off, and she goes off every time
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 04:25 AM   #27
Manjot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishowerinjager View Post
I think that's exactly what your doing. The setup and sound is amazing. I have to say you're probably the first person I've ever read about that wishes they could have their money back.

Wait till you start getting random comments about how nice your exhaust sounds from strangers and I think you'll fall in love with it.
Slightly got used to the fact that 2018 MPPSK here in the UK have got ridden off the bangs. I got a few complements about the exhaust from randomers and a complain from a woman, maybe slight public 'approval' or being 'noticed' was required to feel good about the exhaust which I certainly do now.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 04:30 AM   #28
Manjot
Rep

Oh btw..a question that some may laugh at, but..i've only ever used the paddle shifters twice and both times I haven't been sure whether to lift off the accelerator when changing gears or keep the foot down? I think that's why I haven't used the shifters because i'm not sure whether i'm doing it wrong and causing damage to the car.

Last edited by Manjot; 06-20-2018 at 08:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 07:28 AM   #29
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i RWD

Foot flat down and change!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 04:01 PM   #30
Gabrola
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manjot View Post
It definitely gives more power and that deeper, throatier sound. Love the sound of it in the enclosed car parks between 2/3k rpm when deaccelerating. It'll probably take a few weeks to get over the 'heartbreak' of missing bangs. Yes i'm glad comfort os bit louder, I think i'm trying to find reasons to hate it at the moment.
BMW have just changed the triggers that causes the bangs. I think it was quite obnoxious for it to occur on every single deceleration.

I just had my MPPSK fitted a couple of weeks ago and can pretty much make these loud gunfire pops on demand now, you just need to get used to the technique. The essence of it is that right after lifting off by about half a second, you need blip the throttle slightly. The higher the RPM you do this, the louder the bangs will be.

I get the loudest bangs by flooring it in Sport+ and manual shifting in 2nd gear up to redline, then letting the RPMs drop to about 6k and then blipping the throttle. Another easy way to do it without having to accelerate at all is to manually shift from from 3rd to 2nd at the highest possible RPM and then blipping the throttle.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 09:10 PM   #31
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Quote:
Oh btw..a question that some may laugh at, but..i've only ever used the paddle shifters twice and both times I haven't been sure whether to lift off the accelerator when changing gears or keep the foot down? I think that's why I haven't used the shifters because i'm not sure whether i'm doing it wrong and causing damage to the car.
It will be smoother if you briefly let off the gas before the gear change. I tested this on a 430i loaner with paddle shifters. Almost like my 6MT where you left off the gas, clutch in, change gears, then clutch out/apply gas.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 01:10 AM   #32
Manjot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
It will be smoother if you briefly let off the gas before the gear change. I tested this on a 430i loaner with paddle shifters. Almost like my 6MT where you left off the gas, clutch in, change gears, then clutch out/apply gas.

This question seems to be such a mystery..i'm getting different answers to it. First time I tried it I was letting go off the gas each time before shifting, second time I kept the gas down.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 03:57 AM   #33
Manjot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrola View Post
BMW have just changed the triggers that causes the bangs. I think it was quite obnoxious for it to occur on every single deceleration.

I just had my MPPSK fitted a couple of weeks ago and can pretty much make these loud gunfire pops on demand now, you just need to get used to the technique. The essence of it is that right after lifting off by about half a second, you need blip the throttle slightly. The higher the RPM you do this, the louder the bangs will be.

I get the loudest bangs by flooring it in Sport+ and manual shifting in 2nd gear up to redline, then letting the RPMs drop to about 6k and then blipping the throttle. Another easy way to do it without having to accelerate at all is to manually shift from from 3rd to 2nd at the highest possible RPM and then blipping the throttle.
Blipping means slightly tapping the accelerator?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 06:44 AM   #34
cmplaya
Captain
Rep
Drives: B58

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooBish AbbZ View Post
I don't have the MPPSK, but I've found a massive difference between bangs and pops in Sport+ dependant on fuel. Used Shell V Power a few tanks ago and it was so much louder. This tank i've had to use BP standard fuel and it's quieter now in Sport+ than it normally is even on Shell standard in Sport. Really strange
what you mean standard?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 06:45 AM   #35
cmplaya
Captain
Rep

#moneyshift

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 09:59 AM   #36
Gabrola
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Blipping means slightly tapping the accelerator?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmplaya View Post
#moneyshift
#ZF8
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 12:56 PM   #37
2turboBMW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooBish AbbZ View Post
I don't have the MPPSK, but I've found a massive difference between bangs and pops in Sport+ dependant on fuel. Used Shell V Power a few tanks ago and it was so much louder. This tank i've had to use BP standard fuel and it's quieter now in Sport+ than it normally is even on Shell standard in Sport. Really strange
If you want to keep the bangs then avoid getting the MPPSK. Those who got it installed this year in the UK have lost it. Without the kit the car could make the noise using the regular Morrisons 95 petrol, with Esso 97 Super Unleaded it got much louder and consistent, I could feel more power too.
Straight after getting the MPPSK I put in Shell V power, the bangs went, then back to Esso 97, still the same, no more bangs.
This hasn't happened yet in the US. Had the mppsk installed this week and the pops and gurgles are constant and loud. I was really surprised at how aggressive this exhaust is in sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 02:52 AM   #38
Sheepy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Competition

[QUOTE=TodmordenLad;23298863]Had the MPPSK installed on my 440i GC earlier in the week at Coopers Reading, so thought I’d share. I’ve done about 150 miles since it was installed, about 75% on motorways.

Sound
I think its louder in Comfort than the stock exhaust, although I know that some folks think otherwise. Once the drama of the cold start is over, it settles to a quiet note, barely distinguishable from stock. Accelerating, however, produces a deep, rich and throaty baritone. There’s a lot more exhaust feedback when you use the throttle than with the stock setup, but little or no drone when you are a constant speed - and it’s as quiet as stock at motorway cruising speeds. It doesn’t pipe anything through the speakers either as ASD is apparently disabled with the MPPSK so you have the sensation that it’s all going on behind you, rather than some of the sound being generated in the cabin. I like the sound of the exhaust in Comfort a lot . I think that it sounds better than the stock system in Sport.

The exhaust in Sport mode is pretty brutal, producing a deep burble, which becomes loud, raw and guttural when you put your foot down. I can see why folks like it, but tbh, I think it would be better suited to a two-seater sports car than my four door hatch. I will probably use it sparingly, leaving it in Comfort and sticking the gear lever to the left to engage sport mode on the auto box (rather than using the Sport button) when I want to press on, which leaves the exhaust in Comfort.

The carbon tips look BIG. I’m glad I went for the carbon ones though, as the bare chrome ones would probably have looked like a couple of Diet coke cans. I haven’t gone for any of the M Performance body kit as I prefer the sleeper look. May get the M performance diffuser as the new tips would probably blend in better – does anyone have any pics please?

Nice write up pal. I have a performance diffuser on order for the coupe I bought last week with carbon tips, not sure if the bumpers are exactly the same but will give you a good idea anyway. Will post pics once fitted if nobody beats me to it.
Appreciate 2
      07-01-2018, 11:35 AM   #39
cmplaya
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
why is your car in texas? let that B58 6MT enjoy the city
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 02:28 AM   #40
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

I've got the 'less gunshots' version and it is still easy to get them, both when cold (very easy) and when warm, it just takes experience and practise.

Also, I'm running JB4 now too and the gun shots are back and happen easily.

Anyone who thinks MPPSK is worse than the stock setup needs to get a Fiesta

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 1
Beek707.00
      07-09-2018, 01:09 PM   #41
Sheepy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Competition

Pics as promised!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-09-2018, 01:27 PM   #42
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepy View Post
Pics as promised!
Looks great, thanks for posting
      07-15-2018, 03:45 AM   #43
Manjot
Rep

Quote:

So i've been doing what you told me about 'blipping the throttle' last few weeks and everytime i've been getting the bangs and pops. Most of the time they aren't that loud but yesterday..oh wow!..I drove from from Calais to Amsterdam, I was going through a tunnel in Netherlands, put my foot down in Sport mode as I ALWAYS do in the tunnels ans under bridges, after letting off the gas I lightly tapped it again...BANG BANG BANG!!!! Loudest I ever heard, it was like a machine gun. My wife was shocked that our car made that noise that loud. Amazing experience!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 05:30 PM   #44
Manjot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
I've got the 'less gunshots' version and it is still easy to get them, both when cold (very easy) and when warm, it just takes experience and practise.

Also, I'm running JB4 now too and the gun shots are back and happen easily.

Anyone who thinks MPPSK is worse than the stock setup needs to get a Fiesta
How much did the JB4 cost? How much power over the 360HP with MPPSK?
Appreciate 0