F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 10.25" Android slow GPS (Fixed) stretched 6,5 “ original car screen (fixed)
ARMA SPEED

06-08-2019, 02:37 PM   #1
antonius2018
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F32

10.25" Android slow GPS (Fixed) stretched 6,5 “ original car screen (fixed)

I ordered my F32-2015 with a business radio, so it has an entry HU_ENTRYNAV with 6,5” screen and no gps. One of the objectives when I installed my Android 10,25” unit was to have a proper GPS instead of having a removable one on the windscreen.

On the first tests I noticed that it took some minutes until a fix on the gps, particularly when I got out an interior parking. 3 / 4 minutes, sometimes more, is too much if you are in the middle of an unknown town and you don’t know where to turn to go to your destination.

The gps receiver was previously installed under the dash, then it was changed to the windscreen close to the rear mirror, with minor improvements. I decided then to buy a new gps receiver to see if the problem was there, but with no success.

When I decided last month to buy from AVIN USA a new HU with Android 8.1 I also bought their splitter cable to give a try to OEM GPS.

On the installation of this new unit I saw a “small” problem: there is a Fakra GPS connector on the back of my OEM radio but there is no cable attached to it, so I had to use the antenna that came with the Android HU.

After some search in this and other forums, I found that the connection to the gps antenna is on the trunk in the so called TCU - Telematics Control Unit.

So I bought a 5 m cable extension with Fakra Z-coding connectors and I mounted the splitter on the trunk and routed the extension to android HU.
The difference was immediate! The Gps Test app showed immediately a lot of satellites and a 3D Fix, and this last week the improvement is noticeable.

-------------------------------------
The second inconvenient i had with this unit was that the “original car” screen on the HU is either stretched or duplicated with a strange image.
I managed to solve that by “cheating” the car telling it had a 8.8 HU.
I used E-SYS to set on the HU_NBT the 3001 EXBOX > DISPLAY_VARIANTE = breites_display (wide display) instead of the previous “schmales display“ (narrow display). Then I changed the system parameters on Android to 8.8/10.25 screen and the original car screen is much better with no stretch at all and much nicer!
------------------------------------
For those who might be interested not having to do the digging I did, I leave here this information and photos.
I hope it will be useful for someone.
Attached Images

Last edited by antonius2018; 06-08-2019 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2019, 02:49 AM   #2
machman767
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport+

Could you share any photos of the display before and after coding?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 09:50 AM   #3
antonius2018
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by machman767 View Post
Could you share any photos of the display before and after coding?
Before coding (first image) the screen is split and the right half is always the same image with fuel tank status, seat belts and present speed and the left side gets what we usually see in the 6,5" screen.
After coding (second image), for example in music, you get the full name and album image, the same for the other screens were you get the image of the previous or the next screen on the other half.
Note that the images are from the Original Car screens, and not the Android side.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      06-09-2019, 11:41 AM   #4
machman767
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport+

Thanks very much for those, I'm guessing you've now got the ability to have a split screen on the idrive?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 01:10 PM   #5
antonius2018
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by machman767 View Post
Thanks very much for those, I'm guessing you've now got the ability to have a split screen on the idrive?
Before coding the screen as a “wide screen” all the dynamic information on the idrive side was on the left half of this new 10,25” screen, with some parts of information cut, and the right side was always the same (see bellow the image of the same music played in the i-drive side before and after this change).

After coding, the i-drive "sees" it as a wide screen and gives more information, all this is automatically done, I didn’t have to do nothing except previously coding with E-sys the new type of screen and in the system configurations of Android selecting the 8.8/10,25 screen instead of 6,5” screen (before coding,
if this 8.8/10,25 screen was selected the i-drive screen was stretched and the image was really low quality).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 02:25 PM   #6
ihsan262000
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonius2018 View Post
I ordered my F32-2015 with a business radio, so it has an entry HU_ENTRYNAV with 6,5” screen and no gps. One of the objectives when I installed my Android 10,25” unit was to have a proper GPS instead of having a removable one on the windscreen.

On the first tests I noticed that it took some minutes until a fix on the gps, particularly when I got out an interior parking. 3 / 4 minutes, sometimes more, is too much if you are in the middle of an unknown town and you don’t know where to turn to go to your destination.

The gps receiver was previously installed under the dash, then it was changed to the windscreen close to the rear mirror, with minor improvements. I decided then to buy a new gps receiver to see if the problem was there, but with no success.

When I decided last month to buy from AVIN USA a new HU with Android 8.1 I also bought their splitter cable to give a try to OEM GPS.

On the installation of this new unit I saw a “small” problem: there is a Fakra GPS connector on the back of my OEM radio but there is no cable attached to it, so I had to use the antenna that came with the Android HU.

After some search in this and other forums, I found that the connection to the gps antenna is on the trunk in the so called TCU - Telematics Control Unit.

So I bought a 5 m cable extension with Fakra Z-coding connectors and I mounted the splitter on the trunk and routed the extension to android HU.
The difference was immediate! The Gps Test app showed immediately a lot of satellites and a 3D Fix, and this last week the improvement is noticeable.

-------------------------------------
The second inconvenient i had with this unit was that the “original car” screen on the HU is either stretched or duplicated with a strange image.
I managed to solve that by “cheating” the car telling it had a 8.8 HU.
I used E-SYS to set on the HU_NBT the 3001 EXBOX > DISPLAY_VARIANTE = breites_display (wide display) instead of the previous “schmales display“ (narrow display). Then I changed the system parameters on Android to 8.8/10.25 screen and the original car screen is much better with no stretch at all and much nicer!
------------------------------------
For those who might be interested not having to do the digging I did, I leave here this information and photos.
I hope it will be useful for someone.
Hi
Thanks for the information, I have exactly the same problem you described, how can I code the screen, I saw that you write something with E-Sys, I don’t really know what it is, thanks in advance
Appreciate 0