F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Bang & Olufsen Amplifier retrofit for BMW F30
ARMA SPEED

06-30-2018, 08:03 PM   #1
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i F30

Garage List
Bang & Olufsen Amplifier retrofit for BMW F30

Has anyone attempted to replace HiFi Amplifier, which is a standard option on BMW F30 with BMW Bang & Olufsen Amplifier and speakers? Can it be done? What's involved?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 01:41 AM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorbmwx6 View Post
Has anyone attempted to replace HiFi Amplifier, which is a standard option on BMW F30 with BMW Bang & Olufsen Amplifier and speakers? Can it be done? What's involved?
Could it be done?

Absolutely.

Worth it?

No.

If you are or spend that much money for a retrofit, do it right with Musicar or something if that nature.
Appreciate 2
      07-01-2018, 10:46 PM   #3
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Could it be done?

Absolutely.

Worth it?

No.

If you are or spend that much money for a retrofit, do it right with Musicar or something if that nature.
Thank you for prompt response. I currently have basic WiFi (S676A) in my F30. I am used to sound quality of my old X6M E71 with Individual Audio. Wanted to get same sound quality out of my F30. My opinion was that Bang & Olufsen will be best option, if retrofit is even possible. I was thinking of swapping out the amplifier, brining optical line to the current AMP location, additional power lines if necessary and re-coding Vehicle Order. Replacing original speakers with B&O speakers. I could not locate anyone who has even attempted this retrofit.

What is the advantage of going with Musicar over B&O? Do you have any instructions or link to DIY for Musicar or anything of that nature? Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 11:27 PM   #4
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Could it be done?

Absolutely.

Worth it?

No.

Thank you for prompt response. I currently have basic WiFi (S676A) in my F30. I am used to sound quality of my old X6M E71 with Individual Audio. Wanted to get same sound quality out of my F30. My opinion was that Bang & Olufsen will be best option, if retrofit is even possible. I was thinking of swapping out the amplifier, brining optical line to the current AMP location, additional power lines if necessary and re-coding Vehicle Order. Replacing original speakers with B&O speakers. I could not locate anyone who has even attempted this retrofit.

What is the advantage of going with Musicar over B&O? Do you have any instructions or link to DIY for Musicar or anything of that nature? Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.
B&O was never the end all in audio. For Decades it was more design aesthetics than sound.

After Harman's purchase, it's even less so.

To get into BMW, they had to bend over to a lower price point and made more sacrifices.

Bottom line, after market systems have no trouble surpassing the BO Systems of the past number of years.

It would not surprise me if the Automobile Division of Harmon made the same speakers for HK and BO, just slapping different labels on each. Most likely the amps are very similar as well.

Google musicar northwest for info on musicar.

But be aware. Like the B&O of many decades, this isn’t cheap Best Buy car audio stuff.

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 07-01-2018 at 11:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 09:56 AM   #5
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
B&O was never the end all in audio. For Decades it was more design aesthetics than sound.

After Harman's purchase, it's even less so.

To get into BMW, they had to bend over to a lower price point and made more sacrifices.

Bottom line, after market systems have no trouble surpassing the BO Systems of the past number of years.

It would not surprise me if the Automobile Division of Harmon made the same speakers for HK and BO, just slapping different labels on each. Most likely the amps are very similar as well.

Google musicar northwest for info on musicar.

But be aware. Like the B&O of many decades, this isn’t cheap Best Buy car audio stuff.
Looks like their website is down? http://musicarnw.com/ Price for B&O is really not an issue, since AMP and speakers could all be purchased through eBay, used with heavy discount. My concern is will I be able to properly code it into my F30, since B&O is not event available as an option for F30. Also, where can I get information on proper connection of B&O Amp? Schematic with all connectors labeled?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 07:57 PM   #6
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Bang & Olufsen retrofit for F30

For two weeks now I do not see any replies from form forum members related to my original posting of "Has anyone even attempted B&O audio retrofit on their BMW F30 model?" I was really hoping that someone had already attempted it and has come input on it ...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 10:56 PM   #7
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
For two weeks now I do not see any replies from form forum members related to my original posting of "Has anyone even attempted B&O audio retrofit on their BMW F30 model?" I was really hoping that someone had already attempted it and has come input on it ...
How about HiFi to Harman Kardon? Has anyone attempted this retrofit?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 11:18 PM   #8
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How about HiFi to Harman Kardon? Has anyone attempted this retrofit?
:
Appreciate 1
BEM-S44514.50
      07-19-2018, 01:12 PM   #9
nlaur86
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d xDrive

That's way too expensive for what it is offering
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 09:46 AM   #10
LarrySinNJ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i xDrive

FWIW, I have the B & O audio system in my F06. While my car is an executive lease, had I paid (and I guess I did in some form), the $3,400 for that system, I'd be highly disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad by any means, but for $3,400 - I think of what I could purchase for my home...
2011 E90 328i xDrive Space Grey/Black Leather(Ret'd)
2009 E90 328i xDrive Monaco Blue/(Ret'd) 2007 E90 328i xDrive Graphite (Ret'd)
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 11:20 AM   #11
JimmyDee
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: X6-M

As many have replied... the cost and effort to retrofit a base stereo to a B&O or H-K system is not worth it.
Yes, they are an improvement over the base system, but if you're going to sink time and money into this type of venture, you're much better-off installing aftermarket products.

Musicar NW specializes in system upgrades for BMW. They have a few different options that they offer (depending on how much you want to spend). They're a good option, if you aren't comfortable doing this kind of work yourself. (I think they are updating their website this weekend, so check back in a few days)

https://musicarnw.com/bmw-upgrades/

I see you're in the San Francisco area (San Carlos). It's only a 10 hour drive, up to Musicar in Portland.
You should email them, and discuss options for your vehicle.

Last edited by JimmyDee; 07-21-2018 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 08:25 PM   #12
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I went ahead and purchased ALL speakers, Subs, AMP and wiring harness for BMW original HK retrofit. Hoping that 600W of pure power from HK should be enough. I want to get sound as close to my 2011 X6M E71 with Individual Audio system as I can with HK. If I am not able to get it with HK, next step will be Bang & Olufsen - 1200W pure power output
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 01:15 PM   #13
max80
Rep
Drives: BMW F80

Hi,

I am now the one looking for a upgrade from a normal HIFI 676 to HK system or even B&O.

May i ask what componets i really needed? Seems HK system come with four more speakers than HIFI system which located rear cover behind rear seat. So do i need all of the wiring for adding more speakers?

I am trying to source a full set HK from ebay , but not really sure what i need to do a complete retrofit base at normal HIFI system.

HK not my goal, i might even consider bavsound stage 1 speakers upgrade for HK system and B&O coding for even better performance.

But not really sure how i should do it, any advice?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 04:32 AM   #14
blueboy_gigel
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
I have the same problem, right now.
I come from a 745i e65 with Logic 7

My f30 comes with basic sound. Basic sound in Europe means 4 speakers and 2 subwoofers
I upgrade to bavsound 4 speakers and 2 subwoofers. A lot more quality but still n lot enough power.

I'm thinking to upgrade to B&O for 2500€

How did you're story end up?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 04:25 PM   #15
J555
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 LCI 340iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboy_gigel View Post
I have the same problem, right now.
I come from a 745i e65 with Logic 7

My f30 comes with basic sound. Basic sound in Europe means 4 speakers and 2 subwoofers
I upgrade to bavsound 4 speakers and 2 subwoofers. A lot more quality but still n lot enough power.

I'm thinking to upgrade to B&O for 2500€
It is certainly possible - you would need a (rare to find) garage/person, who knows how to do that (as this https://www.facebook.com/EurotunerSdnBhd/ ). Especially in case of B&O, that never came as factory option. With "that" I mean also new wirings, drilling and installation of the speakers in the dashboard and in the rear, installation of the MOST loop, etc.

I would be surprised if somebody can deliver all the components and insane amount of work for €2500 and - most importantly - if the result would sound better than aftermarket system.

Just my 2 cents...
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 07:01 AM   #16
blueboy_gigel
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J555 View Post
It is certainly possible - you would need a (rare to find) garage/person, who knows how to do that (as this https://www.facebook.com/EurotunerSdnBhd/ ). Especially in case of B&O, that never came as factory option. With "that" I mean also new wirings, drilling and installation of the speakers in the dashboard and in the rear, installation of the MOST loop, etc.

I would be surprised if somebody can deliver all the components and insane amount of work for €2500 and - most importantly - if the result would sound better than aftermarket system.

Just my 2 cents...
2500€ are the speakers cables and amplifier. Let's say that's the hardware
I don't think that is so complicated to install. I already install surround view the kafas 2 camera. So I'm not worried about the labor. I will do it myself.

Yesterday I just install a 3550w Amp and a 400rms subwoofer.

Now I'm trying to find out a remote cable for the Amp.

I'll try this configuration for some time because I already have all those materials.

Maby I could get some improvement installing the doors tweeters.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 10:45 AM   #17
J555
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 LCI 340iX

Quote:
I'll try this configuration for some time because I already have all those materials.
Ah, I see!

Quote:
I don't think that is so complicated to install. I already install surround view the kafas 2 camera. So I'm not worried about the labor. I will do it myself.
Happy you! When I considered this upgrade, I performed basic research and found it a big project with open points neither me nor somebody I know can address. Please take it as it is - you maybe already did it by yourself and I am not an expert. Just costs me nothing to share it with you:
- the amp is made by Lear and the architecture seems to be quite different of the HK-produced amps (HK, B&W),
- don't know, what is the donating car and how many different versions are over there (here example of wiring F13 wiring diagram: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ker/1VnY99jXST ). In general, B&O claimed the amp to be 16-channel, with separate amplification of each speaker and built-in high- and low-pass filters (see: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ystem/FtSbmgg9 ),
- considering that, I think you have to install the tweeters and center dash speakers (better all the speakers). I see no point to retrofit it without that for many reasons (you already have it, the center is important for B&O profiles, you will miss part of the frequency range, the surround won't work and B&O does not have the stereo profile, etc.). This would require the wiring, adding tweeter trim at the front, tweeter cutouts at the rear and dash cutout with additional trim, the rear speakers installation,
- the MOST loop and power/ground need to be installed,
- the amp does require coding for your car, otherwise neither HU nor the amp will work properly (the HU needs to be coded, too, but that's simple),
- not sure about ASD, as (at least some) B&O amp seems to have it integrated (possibly just needs to be disabled by coding).

Hope you share the details, I am certainly not the only one interested to see this!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 04:07 AM   #18
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep
Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
Why not just put a 7up in it instead? Seems like an awful lot of throwing good money after bad to get subpar results.

A few OEM+ mods:
MTech front bumper, MSport wheel & handbrake, 4AD trim, full rear shades, more to come…
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 03:17 PM   #19
blueboy_gigel
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J555 View Post
Ah, I see!

Happy you! When I considered this upgrade, I performed basic research and found it a big project with open points neither me nor somebody I know can address. Please take it as it is - you maybe already did it by yourself and I am not an expert. Just costs me nothing to share it with you:
- the amp is made by Lear and the architecture seems to be quite different of the HK-produced amps (HK, B&W),
- don't know, what is the donating car and how many different versions are over there (here example of wiring F13 wiring diagram: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ker/1VnY99jXST ). In general, B&O claimed the amp to be 16-channel, with separate amplification of each speaker and built-in high- and low-pass filters (see: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ystem/FtSbmgg9 ),
- considering that, I think you have to install the tweeters and center dash speakers (better all the speakers). I see no point to retrofit it without that for many reasons (you already have it, the center is important for B&O profiles, you will miss part of the frequency range, the surround won't work and B&O does not have the stereo profile, etc.). This would require the wiring, adding tweeter trim at the front, tweeter cutouts at the rear and dash cutout with additional trim, the rear speakers installation,
- the MOST loop and power/ground need to be installed,
- the amp does require coding for your car, otherwise neither HU nor the amp will work properly (the HU needs to be coded, too, but that's simple),
- not sure about ASD, as (at least some) B&O amp seems to have it integrated (possibly just needs to be disabled by coding).

Hope you share the details, I am certainly not the only one interested to see this!
After a lot of time with a 3rd subwoofer in the trunk I still thinking that I will install B&O. I have the B&O coded in NBT, on lights adjustment I have the B&O lighting.

My major issue will be to sell the Bavsound speakers and subwoofer. They don't fit in my GF mini Cooper r56 and she wants to upgrade the speakers

Sorry for park this for some time but I just retrofit the M Performance Brakes.

What do you think about this harness

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174334187132

Should be fine?

Last edited by blueboy_gigel; 02-01-2021 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: Add more info
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 01:45 PM   #20
Maxfusion
Rep
Drives: 320I XDrive

Guys!
I have a bang-olufsen amp and will install it in my lci f30.
I need a help with a wiring - need a part number of plastic 20-pin connector block to purchase it. Other connectors, pins and wires - is not a problem.
Best regards to you all)))
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 06:03 PM   #21
blau3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 30d

Has anyone successfully done this yet?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 10:37 PM   #22
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep
Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
No reason to. The factory 676 speakers, match up7bmw amp plus earthquakes plus a good tune far exceeds the capabilities of b&o 5 &7 series for les money and far fewer headaches.

A few OEM+ mods:
MTech front bumper, MSport wheel & handbrake, 4AD trim, full rear shades, more to come…
Appreciate 0