F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
ARMA SPEED

08-10-2020, 12:26 PM   #4115
djustiz
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 94Ah Rex

New user here! Amazing work!

I was all psyched up, until I realized I'm on the B-Version (RoadTop).

SDK Version: 25.0.0.5.6.0.0.0
CUST Version: BR102
MCU Version: 20.4.2.14
HW Version: BMW_NBT

Oh! -and the car is a 2017 i3 with a 10" screen - if that is relevant to this case at all.

From what I can gather from the 188 forum pages of pure wisdom in this thread; I can choose to flash A-version files, and loose the possibility of future updates, or I can do nothing, and hope that RoadTop releases a software update that improves my DPI and will run in widescreen mode. Is that correct?

Also, I wanted to ask if theres a custom community B-version in the works?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 12:30 PM   #4116
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by djustiz View Post
From what I can gather from the 188 forum pages of pure wisdom in this thread; I can choose to flash A-version files, and loose the possibility of future updates, or I can do nothing, and hope that RoadTop releases a software update that improves my DPI and will run in widescreen mode. Is that correct?

Also, I wanted to ask if theres a custom community B-version in the works?
Correct, those are your options.

I don't know what the other members that create the custom fw have planned.

But personally have no plans for creating a B version custom FW purely for the fact that I wouldn't want to release something that I can not test and confirm working myself first.

But I have better things to spend my money on at the moment than a 2nd MMI unit.
Appreciate 2
x-m4n148.00
Eddamoo391.00
      08-10-2020, 12:53 PM   #4117
wk210003
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambo622 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wk210003 View Post
Hi all,
I am planning to order the carlinkit box since I didn't find a place that can ship andream box to Saudi Arabia direct.
I will be flashing the customised firmware. But I am still confused which Mcu version to be flashed.
I'm running the custom 2.0 firmware with the latest Carlinkit MCU from the first post. I didn't see a need to flash the Bimmertech MCU, although that is an option from what I've read here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chambo622 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wk210003 View Post
Hi all,
I am planning to order the carlinkit box since I didn't find a place that can ship andream box to Saudi Arabia direct.
I will be flashing the customised firmware. But I am still confused which Mcu version to be flashed.
I'm running the custom 2.0 firmware with the latest Carlinkit MCU from the first post. I didn't see a need to flash the Bimmertech MCU, although that is an option from what I've read here.
Everything is working smoothly? Any issues you have
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 01:18 PM   #4118
NOTORIOUS VR
Rep
Drives: B5 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1 View Post
The sw version suggests it's an Andream unit, so the pin should be 2863

Strange HW Version though
Thank you, I'll give it another shot!

Just to be clear - this PIN shows up as soon as I select the SW upgrade menu item from the settings menu, so I don't even get in to where I can choose software or MCU update (which if I am reading correctly is where I would normally require the PIN's on the first post).

Will update when I re-try.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 01:19 PM   #4119
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
Thank you, I'll give it another shot!

Just to be clear - this PIN shows up as soon as I select the SW upgrade menu item from the settings menu, so I don't even get in to where I can choose software or MCU update (which if I am reading correctly is where I would normally require the PIN's on the first post).

Will update when I re-try.
No you have to enter the pin to get to the update screen.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 01:38 PM   #4120
skittletop
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 REX

Quote:

But personally have no plans for creating a B version custom FW purely for the fact that I wouldn't want to release something that I can not test and confirm working myself first.

But I have better things to spend my money on at the moment than a 2nd MMI unit.
I've also ended up with a B version from RoadTop.

MCU Version: 20.6.2.0

I installed it at the weekend on my i3 10.25" NBT, still have some teething issues and getting used to how to manage the audio. I'd love to get widescreen AA working, so thinking I'll go the rename flash route.

I'm assuming I don't need to flash the MCU?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 02:16 PM   #4121
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittletop View Post
Quote:

I installed it at the weekend on my i3 10.25" NBT, still have some teething issues and getting used to how to manage the audio. I'd love to get widescreen AA working, so thinking I'll go the rename flash route.

Correct, no need to flash the bimmertech mcu.

Let us know how the custom v2 sw works out on the new RoadTop unit.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 05:14 PM   #4122
Mollyran
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 220i

v2.0.B0.mod Auto start playing is not working?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 06:19 PM   #4123
xDHC
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F20 116i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollyran View Post
v2.0.B0.mod Auto start playing is not working?
Yeah not working for me either.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 06:56 PM   #4124
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TE26M3 View Post
Simply put:

1. How do I force calls only through the BMW BT and NOT Carplay?

2. Was carplay even setup to work with calls properly?

3. Does anyone else have the same problem?

Thanks
1. You can’t
2. Only if you will switch off iDrive BT - car switches off AUX input when you answer a call, but then you will not be getting the calls outside of CarPlay.
3. Everyone
      08-10-2020, 09:06 PM   #4125
Molinetti
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

Same to me, using Carplay. My doubt is if it is an issue or because the normal behaviour of the firmware from BimmerTech. For me is not a big problem (simply goes to MMI screen and push Carplay option) but it could be perfect if automatically goes to Carplay screen. Someone with the last firmware from BimmerTech could confirm us if having the same behaviour?

By the other side, very happy in general terms with the custom firmware comparing to Andream one. Better quality sound, cleaner UI and simpler, fast responsiveness and only the lost of automatic switch to CarPlay.

Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDHC View Post
Yeah not working for me either.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 12:16 AM   #4126
jacobtc
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F20LCI

So is this the way to go if I want to connect the Andream USB to the one in the armrest? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3284...archweb201603_
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 12:28 AM   #4127
AnonymousUser
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d F10 2014

Hey Cossie and Firefly1337

First of all thank you for your great work so far with the custom firmware you made available for everyone to enjoy!

In your attempt to breakdown the source code for the boxes did you find anything related to how the device reads and sends canbus signals?

The reason I ask is because I think it would be cool to add features like media artwork to KOMBI or HUD and also rute guideance from CarPlay and AA.

It should be possible if we are able to add custom CanBus signals from the box itself.!

I have an RaspberryPi with an CanBus Hat on it, and i would be able to identify the right CanBus signals the BMW needs to show guideance!

Best regards
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 12:52 AM   #4128
Chase123
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase123 View Post
I use the andream nbt unit and everything works fine expect 2 little things: (CarPlay) I didn't flash the unit, the software is original.

1. Does anybody else have the problem, that the sound doesn't work sometimes when you start the car? (Just Music) I have to reboot the box and then everything works fine again 🤔 but I don't want to reboot the box every time I start my car

2. My Siri only works with music and navigation, but not for sending text messages. Besides that I cannot use the steering wheel button to activate Siri, just with "hey Siri" Do you know how to fix that?

Thank you so much in advance!
Do you guys know anything about that? Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 01:25 AM   #4129
Furbz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Possible X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJT View Post
Thanks for the update! I'm glad it works now.

Do you have to confirm something when you connect or does it really automatically switch to mobile data without you having to do anything?
its 100% automatic.
and really really quick.

someone mentioned that if you put the car into reverse quickly after starting (ie before the MMI is fully running) then the unit needs to be disconnected then reconnected.
i can confirm that is the same with me.
solution = wait the 15-20 seconds or so for the MMI to kick in. then reverse
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 01:49 AM   #4130
djustiz
Rep

Quote:

I totally get that.

How involved is creating a custom firmware?
Can it be done by extracting the contents of an original update, changing a few parameters, and putting the firmware-file back together, or does it take actual coding/compiling?

(Sorry if the information I'm asking about is hidden somewhere is this delightfully massive thread. I haven't finished reading it from start to finsh, yet)
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 01:51 AM   #4131
djustiz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittletop View Post

If you flash, I'd love to hear about your experience, and results :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 04:55 AM   #4132
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousUser View Post
Hey Cossie and Firefly1337

First of all thank you for your great work so far with the custom firmware you made available for everyone to enjoy!

In your attempt to breakdown the source code for the boxes did you find anything related to how the device reads and sends canbus signals?

The reason I ask is because I think it would be cool to add features like media artwork to KOMBI or HUD and also rute guideance from CarPlay and AA.

It should be possible if we are able to add custom CanBus signals from the box itself.!

I have an RaspberryPi with an CanBus Hat on it, and i would be able to identify the right CanBus signals the BMW needs to show guideance!

Best regards
Without the SDK we can't add any features to it at all.

No file sizes can be changed either (bigger or smaller) otherwise the unit doesn't boot.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 04:56 AM   #4133
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djustiz View Post
I totally get that.

How involved is creating a custom firmware?
Can it be done by extracting the contents of an original update, changing a few parameters, and putting the firmware-file back together, or does it take actual coding/compiling?

(Sorry if the information I'm asking about is hidden somewhere is this delightfully massive thread. I haven't finished reading it from start to finsh, yet)
Both
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 05:13 AM   #4134
eduwinner
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d F30 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobtc View Post
So is this the way to go if I want to connect the Andream USB to the one in the armrest? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3284...archweb201603_

Yes, you only need the cable if you want to connect it to the armrest
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 09:13 AM   #4135
TE26M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 Nardo Grey M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDrivingManiac View Post
1. You can’t
2. Only if you will switch off iDrive BT - car switches off AUX input when you answer a call, but then you will not be getting the calls outside of CarPlay.
3. Everyone
Hey what do you mean by:

Meaning an in-bound call wont be picked up?

Biggest problem is I cant hear anyone over carplay
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 10:05 AM   #4136
smilykoch
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d F20

Andream head unit difference

Hi guys!
Awesome work on this!

I am looking to add AA support to my BMW F20 (Think its a CIC unit?)

My initial route was to retrofit an entire NBT unit in there to get the larger 8" screen, and then an MMI for AA, but looking around i found these 8.8" touch screen head units made by Andream with carplay/AA included. The end result looks very similar to that of the MMI alone?

Can anyone tell me if these https://www.android-car-dvd.de/colle...-f21-2013-2017 runs on same firmware as the MMI?

Will the custom firmware e.g. run on these?

Also has anyone tried them, and can say anything about the screen quality and fit? Any downsides?

Thanks!

Last edited by smilykoch; 08-11-2020 at 10:33 AM..
Appreciate 0