F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Football...
ARMA SPEED

05-30-2021, 09:49 AM   #1
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Football...

I know not everyone is a footie fan but surprised not to see something about that crucial game yesterday...

Chesterfield beat Halifax to make the play offs in that national league. Not bad when they were third bottom after 9 games and fired the manager.

The original CFC

but I will also admit the other crew did pretty well last night - or did the opposition hand it to them.....?

Last edited by isleaiw1; 05-30-2021 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 10:10 AM   #2
Armaan
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i Sport Remapped

Can't say I was supporting either team but Man City were pretty poor after the season they've had. Expected a better game, but Chelsea probably deserved it on the balance of the game.

One shot on target in 90 mins is not good enough from a City perspective with the team they've got.

Armaan
Appreciate 2
isleaiw18809.50
      05-30-2021, 10:47 AM   #3
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4series Grand Coupe

Tuchel has certainly turned Chelsea around they played very good last night and hardly put a foot wrong, Pep got it all wrong he could not do anything with them but his selection was off from the stat a bit disappointing when you see how they have been playing and I expected MC to win by at least 3
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 11:47 AM   #4
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Chelsea certainly deserved it last night although for the second time in a week a Manchester club failed to turn-up for a European final!

Tuchel is definitely getting more from the Chelsea squad - or at least getting them to perform at a high level more consistently - but I still think Lampard deserves some credit for showing faith in academy players like Mason Mount and Reece James and putting them in the first team. I can see Chelsea being strong contenders for the PL title next season, especially as there will no doubt be plenty money t invest further in the squad such Herr Tuchel think it necessary...
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 12:26 PM   #5
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Sometimes cheaper but more hungry players are the solution with a bit of good man management and a few experienced leaders to bring them together.

It’s what my CFC did after changing manager, moved out a fair few overpaid has beens seeing out their career and brought people in on the up...
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 12:35 PM   #6
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Bizarre season.

United awful right at the business end.

City awful in a final that have coveted for years.

To quote the great man 'football, bloody hell'. I can't help but feel, and laugh, that the ludicrous ESL took to wind right the sails of Utd and City. Suppose can't really say that as it didn't impact 'ski too much.

Well done Chesterfield and
Blackpool too. Good luck to all change playoffs.
      05-30-2021, 01:31 PM   #7
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Season ended for me last weekend. Watched Leicester v Spurs from the Leicester directors box.

Mixed emotions, the team which pays my mortgage v the team I've supported since 1982!

Got to see Kane score and get his Golden Boot so I was happy. Although that may have also been the side effects of the hospitality!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 02:08 PM   #8
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
Season ended for me last weekend. Watched Leicester v Spurs from the Leicester directors box.

Mixed emotions, the team which pays my mortgage v the team I've supported since 1982!

Got to see Kane score and get his Golden Boot so I was happy. Although that may have also been the side effects of the hospitality!
Perennial underachievers versus the best run team in the Premier. I’d say you should change your allegiance to the one that pays your mortgage 😉
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2021, 03:11 AM   #9
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:

Nightmare conflict that!
      05-31-2021, 06:48 AM   #10
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Quote:

Nightmare conflict that!
I was genuinely conflicted because I wanted Leicester to get Champions League next year and Spurs really had nothing to play for apart from finishing above Arsenal and getting Europa Conference League or whatever it's called.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 10:24 AM   #11
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
I know not everyone is a footie fan but surprised not to see something about that crucial game yesterday...

Chesterfield beat Halifax to make the play offs in that national league. Not bad when they were third bottom after 9 games and fired the manager.

The original CFC

but I will also admit the other crew did pretty well last night - or did the opposition hand it to them.....?
The season finished weeks ago... Well, for the Boro anyway...

I see Hartlepool are in the payoffs also... Do you play them...?
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 10:33 AM   #12
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
The season finished weeks ago... Well, for the Boro anyway...

I see Hartlepool are in the payoffs also... Do you play them...?
Nope, Notts County away.... then Torquay away..... (I’m assuming we beat County obvs)

Hartlepool have Bromley at home followed by Stockport away if they win....

Then two winners of those matches at Ashton Gate Bristol on 20th June (first round play offs next weekend, second round weekend after)
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 11:44 AM   #13
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Didn't see any of the game but apparently Hartlepool got promoted back to League 2 this afternoon courtesy of a win on penalties over Torquay; can't say I follow them particularly but nevertheless nice to see a side from the North East go up!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 01:32 PM   #14
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Didn't see any of the game but apparently Hartlepool got promoted back to League 2 this afternoon courtesy of a win on penalties over Torquay; can't say I follow them particularly but nevertheless nice to see a side from the North East go up!
Yep, and as a fan of another team in the league, would I rather a weekend away in Torquay or Hartlepool....
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 02:44 PM   #15
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yep, and as a fan of another team in the league, would I rather a weekend away in Torquay or Hartlepool....
I'm told the marina at Hartlepool is quite nice.....
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 05:31 PM   #16
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I worked for the owners of Camerons brewery so know it well... still think Torquay is better for a weekend away

Grimsby have come down to join the league, a weekend in Cleethorpes beckons...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 02:55 AM   #17
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I worked for the owners of Camerons brewery so know it well... still think Torquay is better for a weekend away

Grimsby have come down to join the league, a weekend in Cleethorpes beckons...
Yes, I don't really see Hartlepool being especially high on anyone's list for a weekend break!

I saw the Mariners had been relegated, presumably that means there's no longer a team in the football league that never plays a home game?!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 03:09 AM   #18
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I don't really see Hartlepool being especially high on anyone's list for a weekend break!

I saw the Mariners had been relegated, presumably that means there's no longer a team in the football league that never plays a home game?!
Brighton? Everton of course.... Wimbledon, who play in Kingston unless they have moved recently....
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 05:19 AM   #19
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Everybody on Teesside was a Pooly yesterday... Well, slight exaggeration, but most of us were cheering them on... If only we could revitalise Darlington and then we could be back to our three Tees Valley teams in the League...

Hartlepool might be full of history and culture (what with the historic Headland area, the navy and artillery museums.. and the marina...)... but I don't think anybody can seriously suggest that it can rival the Devon Riviera as a holiday destination...

But can you get a lemon top in Torquay..???
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 05:22 AM   #20
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Everybody on Teesside was a Pooly yesterday... Well, slight exaggeration, but most of us were cheering them on... If only we could revitalise Darlington and then we could be back to our three Tees Valley teams in the League...

Hartlepool might be full of history and culture (what with the historic Headland area, the navy and artillery museums.. and the marina...)... but I don't think anybody can seriously suggest that it can rival the Devon Riviera as a holiday destination...

But can you get a lemon top in Torquay..???
Funny old game, didnt Torquay thrash Hartlepool in a game shown live on BT Sport at the start of the season..>?

Lemon Top, is that what we call lager top, a beer with a bit of lemonade added? Halfway between a shandy and not...?

No doubt we will get Torquay on a Tuesday night in December to spoil the plans for a weekend away!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 05:32 AM   #21
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Funny old game, didnt Torquay thrash Hartlepool in a game shown live on BT Sport at the start of the season..>?
Who knows... most of us "fans" were not watching them then...

Joking aside, it has been a funny run in and, in retrospect, it was a good thing Pools wobbled in the run in as it seemed to steady them through the final games and into the play offs... and they went into games with belief...

Quote:
Lemon Top, is that what we call lager top, a beer with a bit of lemonade added? Halfway between a shandy and not...?
No, it is non alcoholic... and often associated with the seaside... (and it is not a rude term.. although it sounds like it ought to be.. and Redcar's newly minded Conservative MP invited BoJo to have one...)..

We also call a lager top a larger top...

Quote:
No doubt we will get Torquay on a Tuesday night in December to spoil the plans for a weekend away!
Of course... The football computer will prevail...

I think we (Boro) get our pictures in about 2 weeks... Cannot wait for the first home game to be back into the stadium... They better bloody well win after this last 18 months...
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18809.50
      06-21-2021, 05:55 AM   #22
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Who knows... most of us "fans" were not watching them then...

Joking aside, it has been a funny run in and, in retrospect, it was a good thing Pools wobbled in the run in as it seemed to steady them through the final games and into the play offs... and they went into games with belief...

No, it is non alcoholic... and often associated with the seaside... (and it is not a rude term.. although it sounds like it ought to be.. and Redcar's newly minded Conservative MP invited BoJo to have one...)..

We also call a lager top a larger top...

Of course... The football computer will prevail...

I think we (Boro) get our pictures in about 2 weeks... Cannot wait for the first home game to be back into the stadium... They better bloody well win after this last 18 months...
To answer the first bit, I was, and it was 5-0 to Torquay!

Think we were in the bottom 3 then and about to change manager....

Good luck for the season. It will certainly be interesting with Warnock in charge....
Appreciate 0