F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Battery Question
GetBMWParts

04-17-2021, 05:29 AM   #45
Tony 420I
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Series 4 420I XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by psp888 View Post
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AUTOXEL-Mai...B0E16QAJAFB31M

I got this one, cheap and does the job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig-SM View Post
I’d recommend a Noco Genuis 10 or Ctek MXS10. Both very similar in operation and performance, prices around £120-130.
If you have a motorbike and need to charge that too then go for the 5 amp versions of either as 10 amps is a bit high for little batteries.
Thanks for the info guys, was also looking at the one recommended by BMW but wasn't sure if it was overpriced
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 06:43 AM   #46
Craig-SM
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d M Sport - F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony 420I View Post
Thanks for the info guys, was also looking at the one recommended by BMW but wasn't sure if it was overpriced
I think the BMW one is a rebranded Ctek
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2021, 01:27 AM   #47
Sheepy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig-SM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony 420I View Post
I think the BMW one is a rebranded Ctek
Yes I believe it is, I bought this one earlier this year.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 01:45 AM   #48
jjjccc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw f30 335i sedan

sooo. now that i read all that.lol
can anyone tell us if we can code and register/reset(all of this) with esys or what do we use for new battery with new specs and to set back the auto adjusting that adjust for batteries weakness to adjust for a new one ?
im curious though if it auto adjusts forward due to ageing battery to help it then why doesnt the system auto adjust back once a new one installed? it reads its power forward as it ages but not backwards? so its stuck as it goes forward adjusting to compensate for ageing battery?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 02:53 AM   #49
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjccc View Post
can anyone tell us if we can code and register/reset(all of this) with esys or what do we use for new battery with new specs and to set back the auto adjusting that adjust for batteries weakness to adjust for a new one ?
im curious though if it auto adjusts forward due to ageing battery to help it then why doesnt the system auto adjust back once a new one installed? it reads its power forward as it ages but not backwards? so its stuck as it goes forward adjusting to compensate for ageing battery?
Can use ISTA to register a new battery.
      04-19-2021, 08:23 AM   #50
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishbosh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjccc View Post
Bimmerlink too...
      04-19-2021, 09:10 AM   #51
jjjccc
Private
United_States
Rep

ista

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishbosh View Post
i see, but what does that actually do? does it make it efficient for new battery or just change specs for a different speced battery ? as in what do we use to add a newer better cca battery? then what do we use to register assumin the registering is what resets system to read its a new battery to adjust properly without drainin it thinkin its old ?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 06:53 PM   #52
NanasBack
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: EB 335 oil burner

I'll make an attempt.....

It doesn't 'auto adjust' as such, to the fitted battery.

Perhaps consider a battery and its charge capacity like a vehicle and its MOT.
When its new, specific details will conform to manufacturers specificatations.

As the car / battery is used, things start to wear / deteriorate.
For the car in general, bearings will wear because oil/grease will degrade. Brake pads and tyres will wear because of mileage covered, etc.
A standard schedule to check that the wear on these components have not exceeded certain limits and compromised the operation of the vehicle, (mot) is conducted.
This is done on a time basis, as each vehicle will be used in a different way and will be subject to varying levels of wear.
Three years was determined the time to check its fitness level, having average use.
How average was defined, I've no idea.

The battery manufacturers know the degradation profile of their batteries, due to state of charge, it's temperature, how old it is, engine start / stop cycles, etc.
When a car manufacturer introduces features such as regenerative power cycling, to harvest energy and improve efficiency, they need to know how much the components will stand.

But, that changes over time, because of chemical changes/ degradation, temperaure effects, state of charge, number of charge cycles, number of engine starts etc.

So the battery manufacturer gives a generic charge capacity profile, to which the car manufacturer can then program their electrical charging system to follow, to avoid damaging the battery.

The compensation over time is, the system must reduce the amount of energy it puts back into the battery, to avoid cooking it.
So the original 90Ahr capacity is considered to reduce over time. For example, it may only be considered to be good for 60Ahr after three years of operation.
And it only every was normally charged to 80% of that value.

If a new battery is fitted, the system doesn't know unless it is told. (It doesn't measure anything in order to compensate (afaik)). It will continue to charge it at a continuingly reducing rate, hence creating more problems.

It's not a good idea to keep a lead acid battery at any level of charge below 100% because of sulphation issues.
The concept of keeping it no more than 80% charged, just to allow for regenerative possibilites (engine braking), may be worse than not recouping the energy at all, and hence extending the longevity of the battery.

Somebody did the maths.

But for sure, if you don't tell the system to start from square one again (registering), the new battery will quickly become knackered.

I hope that analogy helps?

Last edited by NanasBack; 04-19-2021 at 07:02 PM..
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13485.00
      04-20-2021, 03:24 AM   #53
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

It's as good an explanation as any; not sure how it's an analogy though...
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 04:48 AM   #54
jjjccc
Private
United_States
Rep

"square one again (registering)" is done how? and entering a new batteries specs is done how?
im understanding TWO things must be done (register and re code). which is which and with what program for each?
i have autophix 7910, or some use foxwell 510. but then what else for the other thing (register or code).or do i have wording wrong for what autofix does vs eysys?? so from what u say Nanasback, register will tell ecu that new battery is there thus charging it correctly NOT AS THE OLD ONE?is that done with autophix,foxwell or eysys? but then what else do we need to do(code it)?
so its set/made/programmed from factory for ecu to charge batteries at a reducing rate in general(one way which is degrading downwards)(nothin automated or detected)? that doesnt seem rt as u said all of us drive differently.or maybe thas what they do.just a general programming for one way and that would cover most people i guess..

Last edited by jjjccc; 04-23-2021 at 04:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 01:40 AM   #55
scotsman335dxDrive
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d xDrive M Sport Plus

I just fitted the battery and then registered it with Bimmerlink.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 04:29 AM   #56
Jindrich
Registered
Rep
Drives: F31 318D

My 318D has still original battery from 2012. This means now 11 years old, car has now 385k km. This will be last winter for the battery, since the starts are getting very tight, but what I wanted to say is this. I use the "secret menu" often to observe actual temperature readings and also battery voltage during my drive. Well the car is doing exactly opposite of what is written so far.... older the battery is, more time it spends in high voltage region. Earlier it stayed under driving at about 13,6-13,7V, under braking it was topping up at 14,3-14,5V and under high accelerations it allowed lowe voltage. Now? Now it stay always at 14,3-14,5V no matter what I do. Simply the car knows that capacity is low and charges it same like any old car did to 100%. I will change soon battery and do not register it in order to see the behaviour after. Either the car recognize something and starts doing something wrong, or it simply keeps going using full charge strategy.
Appreciate 2
KRS_SN13485.00
Eddamoo389.50