F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Did I buy a tuned car without knowing it?
GetBMWParts

04-17-2021, 08:39 AM   #23
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenKeel View Post
An aftermarket tune would not change the sport displays. The change is the result of the factory MPPK tune
That's INCORRECT. BM3 increased my sport display to 500 HP/500 ft-lbs from the default 3xx /3xx (320?)
Appreciate 2
sspade2464.50
jmack548.50
      04-17-2021, 09:04 AM   #24
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff32fl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice247 View Post
There are a couple out in the wild... Here is one I know for sure has the MPPSK tune without the exhaust.

https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1678280
How do you know that has the MPPSK tune? Isn't it an all or nothing type deal with BMW as well? I checked a VIN decoder and I'm not seeing any package code that references MPPSK. I'm not seeing the deca/sticker on the engine cover. That's all that I know of to check for. Thanks for the insight!
I can only speak for my experience. I bought the mppsk. It is an excellent cat back exhaust that seamlessly integrates with the car and the valves. In addition, it comes with a mild stage 1 tune. The butt meter notices the differences. So for me I wanted a bmw warranty and integration with the rest of the car since it is my daily driver. The price may seem high but one has to remember you get the full exhaust (cat back) and tune all warrantied by bmw. The exhaust as described in other threads is of high quality and you might be expected to pay a similar price for comparable cat back exhausts (at least as discussed in other threads). The valves work appropriately in comfort and sport, etc. - so quiet in comfort and louder with burbles and pops in sport or sport+. The exhaust is a larger diameter more free flowing exhaust. The original tips will not fit and you have to buy new ones to fit the larger pipes.

I guess you could buy the tune and exhaust and then take off the exhaust, but that would seem odd and counter productive. That car has the original smaller exhaust tips that at least to me look like the original exhaust.

Anyway that is all I know from buying the mppsk as an aftermarket addition to my car.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 10:05 AM   #25
AMG KLR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GC

Quote:
An aftermarket tune would not change the sport displays. The change is the result of the factory MPPK tune
Your confidence in giving incorrect information on the forum is astounding.

Last edited by AMG KLR; 04-17-2021 at 12:46 PM..
Appreciate 3
AllaVodka634.00
jmack548.50
e_b_d_i18.00
      04-17-2021, 11:39 AM   #26
whatevs
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 bmw 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
That's INCORRECT. BM3 increased my sport display to 500 HP/500 ft-lbs from the default 3xx /3xx (320?)
I just did a BM3 update and my display show 340. I should've noted what it was before the tune though (My car is a 328) .
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 03:02 PM   #27
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG KLR View Post
Quote:
Your confidence in giving incorrect information on the forum is astounding.
Care to elaborate Sweetie?

His displays shows 400. Let's hear which aftermarket tune changes the display to 400; besides the factory tune....since you've advised the OP that his car has the MPPK or an aftermarket tune.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 03:34 AM   #28
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

My aftermarket tune in the UK did.
Sport displays were updated for both power and torque.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 07:59 AM   #29
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:

His displays shows 400. Let's hear which aftermarket tune changes the display to 400; besides the factory tune....since you've advised the OP that his car has the MPPK or an aftermarket tune.
Aftermarket tunes DO change the sport displays. That was his point.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 08:03 AM   #30
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatevs View Post
I just did a BM3 update and my display show 340. I should've noted what it was before the tune though (My car is a 328) .
Maybe it depends on the map. The B58 maps do increase and its in the release notes for the earlier version.

Will eat a bit of crow, since I don't know how PTF handles the 4-cylinder engines OTS.

Now, that doesn't mean the OP's car didn't get a custom BM3/MHD tune that they bumped up the numbers. I've seen videos on YouTube where they were set to 1000 / 1000.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 08:56 AM   #31
Juice247
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW 440xi Gran Coupe

Quote:
How do you know that has the MPPSK tune? Isn't it an all or nothing type deal with BMW as well? I checked a VIN decoder and I'm not seeing any package code that references MPPSK. I'm not seeing the deca/sticker on the engine cover. That's all that I know of to check for. Thanks for the insight!
I know because it is my 440 I sold to Carvana. I swapped exhausts back to stock but the MPPSK tune remains.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 11:46 AM   #32
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Quote:

Aftermarket tunes DO change the sport displays. That was his point.
Actually he was asserting that i have a tendency to share disinformation on the forum, when he doesn't even know me; which is why I called him on it.

The OP clearly posted a pic of the 400hp max display so his assertion of it being tuned via an aftermarket tune is rubbish.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 01:13 PM   #33
AMG KLR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GC

Quote:
Actually he was asserting that i have a tendency to share disinformation on the forum, when he doesn't even know me; which is why I called him on it.

The OP clearly posted a pic of the 400hp max display so his assertion of it being tuned via an aftermarket tune is rubbish.
You are taking this way too personally
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 09:43 PM   #34
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I know because it is my 440 I sold to Carvana. I swapped exhausts back to stock but the MPPSK tune remains.
Thanks for the update. That makes sense. I have a question for you. Did you keep the exhaust for another car that you then would install that exhaust on that other car and the use a different flash tune?
Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 09:54 PM   #35
Juice247
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBMW View Post
Thanks for the update. That makes sense. I have a question for you. Did you keep the exhaust for another car that you then would install that exhaust on that other car and the use a different flash tune?
Cheers,
Yes. I actually owned 2 '17 F36 for about a week. Carvana wanted a stock car to resell. I wanted to keep my upgrades. It was a win-win. Transferred exhaust and upgrades to my new car, returned my first one to stock. First car now has a tune and new brakes pads/disc's at all for corners with about 4k miles on them. Its a great car and very clean. Never did any aftermarket tunes, just MPPSK.

My new car now has the MPPSK exhaust with Bm3, a DP and HPFP running stage 2+. It's a different beast entirely.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 07:48 AM   #36
joesid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstorilF30B58 View Post
I checked online and it was written that an f30 2017 340i is supposed to have 320hp and 330 lb-ft torque.

But when sports display turns on, it shows 400hp and 400lb-ft torque? Is this normal or is there something about my car that I don't know about?
The display looks exactly the same on my stock 2016 340i.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 08:06 AM   #37
AllaVodka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW B58

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesid View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EstorilF30B58 View Post
I checked online and it was written that an f30 2017 340i is supposed to have 320hp and 330 lb-ft torque.

But when sports display turns on, it shows 400hp and 400lb-ft torque? Is this normal or is there something about my car that I don't know about?
The display looks exactly the same on my stock 2016 340i.
Exact same for me
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 10:19 AM   #38
Londoner
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i msport+ MPPSK

Will check tonight, but if I recall correctly my gauges went from 400HP to 440(ish) when I installed the MPPSK.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 10:44 AM   #39
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Cheers,
Yes. I actually owned 2 '17 F36 for about a week. Carvana wanted a stock car to resell. I wanted to keep my upgrades. It was a win-win. Transferred exhaust and upgrades to my new car, returned my first one to stock. First car now has a tune and new brakes pads/disc's at all for corners with about 4k miles on them. Its a great car and very clean. Never did any aftermarket tunes, just MPPSK.

My new car now has the MPPSK exhaust with Bm3, a DP and HPFP running stage 2+. It's a different beast entirely.
Very cool, sounds like the best of both world for all.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 02:01 PM   #40
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
To be clear the sticker is given to you and you can put it on or not. At least that is what they did for me. The difference with the mppsk is night and day. The mppsk is a cat back exhaust and mild stage 1 tune. But since the exhaust is different there is no way to hide that. The exhaust tips are bigger and in large letters m performance is written on the exhaust that you can easily see from the back.
I purchased the car CPO with the MPPK already installed. From the documents I have, the port installed it and was most likely ordered by the original owner at purchase. Any sticker, if it isn't applied to the car already, is long gone.
      04-19-2021, 03:43 PM   #41
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
Quote:
To be clear the sticker is given to you and you can put it on or not. At least that is what they did for me. The difference with the mppsk is night and day. The mppsk is a cat back exhaust and mild stage 1 tune. But since the exhaust is different there is no way to hide that. The exhaust tips are bigger and in large letters m performance is written on the exhaust that you can easily see from the back.
I purchased the car CPO with the MPPK already installed. From the documents I have, the port installed it and was most likely ordered by the original owner at purchase. Any sticker, if it isn't applied to the car already, is long gone.
Besides the exhaust and tune I received two small side skirt stickers that say m performance, which I did not put on and a small plaque (maybe 1" x 3") that stays M Performance Power Kit. I did attach that to my engine cover. Those two items came in a small envelope that I received from the dealer. It would be easy to lose. I am definitely happy with the mppsk.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 07:53 AM   #42
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Besides the exhaust and tune I received two small side skirt stickers that say m performance, which I did not put on and a small plaque (maybe 1" x 3") that stays M Performance Power Kit. I did attach that to my engine cover. Those two items came in a small envelope that I received from the dealer. It would be easy to lose. I am definitely happy with the mppsk.
Interesting. I have a completely different engine cover with M Performance splashed down the middle and the M logo. I also have a small sticker similar to the one in your picture applied to the air intake. I wonder if these are some of the cosmetic changes between the N55 package on my car and the B58 version on yours or the difference between being installed at the port vs the dealership?

Not like any of this is really that important, but I just find the differences between years/pre- or post-LCI interesting.
      04-20-2021, 08:01 AM   #43
Juice247
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
Interesting. I have a completely different engine cover with M Performance splashed down the middle and the M logo. I also have a small sticker similar to the one in your picture applied to the air intake. I wonder if these are some of the cosmetic changes between the N55 package on my car and the B58 version on yours or the difference between being installed at the port vs the dealership?

Not like any of this is really that important, but I just find the differences between years/pre- or post-LCI interesting.
The N55 had an MPPK kit, the B58 has an MPPSK kit. They each come with a pouch of badges. On MPPSK, there is one sticker applied to the rear underside of the hood and the metal badge on the front engine cover. The other stickers (M Performance) are either handed over for the client to apply, or they can be requested to be applied by the dealer.

MPPK has two information stickers attached near the cooler and the metal badge at the back of the engine cover.

These of course are dealer instructions and may or may not be adhered to at the discretion of the client.
      04-20-2021, 08:26 AM   #44
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
The N55 had an MPPK kit, the B58 has an MPPSK kit. They each come with a pouch of badges. On MPPSK, there is one sticker applied to the rear underside of the hood and the metal badge on the front engine cover. The other stickers (M Performance) are either handed over for the client to apply, or they can be requested to be applied by the dealer.

MPPK has two information stickers attached near the cooler and the metal badge at the back of the engine cover.

These of course are dealer instructions and may or may not be adhered to at the discretion of the client.
Interesting. I wonder where the engine cover come from? It is a unique part, not a sticker, and looks different from your standard N55 engine cover. Is it an accessory? I thought it was part of the MPPK.

I'll look again for anything around the cooler for the informational stickers, but I don't see them this weekend when I was cleaning up the engine bay.

The previous owner waived off the rocker panel stickers and I'm thankful for that. I'm not a badge person.

Good thing I have the documents from the port showing the package was installed.