F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > Trade in 440 GC for a 330d Touring?
Extreme Powerhouse

02-20-2019, 06:34 AM   #1
Poncho38
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

Trade in 440 GC for a 330d Touring?

Hi everyone,

I had an E91 (3 touring) back in the day and I loved it!!!

Currently in a 440 Gran Coupe that I'm happy with but I bought it for really only 2 reasons:

1) I wanted the upcoming G21 but couldn't wait, so this was a hold me over car.

2) the 440 was priced waaay better than an f31.

Now i find out the G21 will not be coming to Canada at all.

So here's a few questions for all of you?

1) is buying the last year of an outgoing model a bad idea for resale value? (My assumption is yes)

2) I drive mainly 70% city and 30% highway. Is diesel even worth it in my case? (I have a very heavy foot)

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 11:34 AM   #2
hunter82
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi, F31 328i, G20 M340i

Not sure about #1... some people believe they'll hold their value because it will be a rare car. I believe Canada is allocated 500 3er touring's a year total (split between i and d power plants). It's an established model and has a better acceptance/following than the CTS wagon did (which I also had at one time), so it won't likely see the same value loss. That being said, depreciation is pretty steep in the first 3-4 years of ownership, I think that's pretty typical for every premium brand/model that has a higher lease-to-own ratio.

As for #2, I did look into the diesel vs gas options pretty in depth for my purchase, and here's my 2 cents:
Diesel has always been great for longer drives under load. Modern diesels have quite a complex emissions system that requires a periodic long drive. This is mainly due to getting to, and maintaining, the optimum operating temperature for a period of time so that the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) can get hot enough and 'burn off' the collected soot. I suggest you consider looking up / google 'DPF regeneration' if you want more details... I could go on for a while, but this tends to be the piece of emissions equipment that people do "don't drive enough" have trouble with.
Diesel Exhaust Fluid (and the system) has some other quirks you should look into too.

The gas engine is probably want most people are familiar with. You won't get the same mileage, but the emissions system is simple in comparison. Both designs prefer being a proper operating temperature, but the gas option is likely a better call if you do shorter commutes most of the week.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 03:49 PM   #3
F31MSport
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 M Sport Diesel

We don't get 330d in Canada, just the 328d xDrive and you better run to your dealership because there are only a handful of new unsold 2018's left and then it's bye-bye diesel and Touring dare I say forever.

I am having my 2018 F31 328d xDrive delivered next week (my second F31). When I was looking for my car Dec 2018 to Jan 2019 there were only a few left in dealer inventory and NONE in transit. Whatever is left in the Touring deisel pool is all you have to choose from.

In terms of resale value, I got out of my 2014 F31 diesel MSport lease 6 months before maturity back a year ago and people were asking $10K more retail than my buyout. I got a couple of grand equity when breaking my lease early as a trade in.

If you drive a lot highway you will literally save half of the cost and spend half the time at the gas station compared to the premium gas consuming counterpart. If you mash it like a madman around town you will struggle to consume more than 8-9 litres of fuel per 100km albeit much less satisfying in acceleration and sound as compared to the 2L gas engine 330.

Last edited by F31MSport; 02-24-2019 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0