F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Un branded or part worn
GetBMWParts

02-07-2019, 11:41 PM   #23
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Avoid. You don't know what type of life the tyre has had. It's not worth the risk.

Some unbranded ones are okay but there is insufficient information on them. For example, Black Circles have their own brand offerings but many are not RFT.

Anyone can stick an overrated rating on a tyre. The industry is somewhat unregulated. I remember when tyre reviews had set up online. I had had an accident with Dunlop Sport SP01. A tyre with A rated wet grip. I told him I had e-mailed Dunlop. He said I would never get a response and I never did.

So why compromise?? Your safety? Your family's safety? Go for a respectable brand with trust worthy wet grip ratings and decent online reviews.

You wouldn't buy a used toilet seat. Why would you buy a used tyre?!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 01:40 AM   #24
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post
Personally, I never dick around when it comes to tyres. My car came with Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 3 RFT, prob end up sticking with the same tyre, when it comes to replacing them.
I didn't know you could get RFT Assy 3's! Was that from factory on a G31?
Stock tyre that came the 664M 19"
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 05:03 PM   #25
gsxr750k3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f30 330d EB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsea_Tractor View Post
Avoid. You don't know what type of life the tyre has had. It's not worth the risk.

Some unbranded ones are okay but there is insufficient information on them. For example, Black Circles have their own brand offerings but many are not RFT.

Anyone can stick an overrated rating on a tyre. The industry is somewhat unregulated. I remember when tyre reviews had set up online. I had had an accident with Dunlop Sport SP01. A tyre with A rated wet grip. I told him I had e-mailed Dunlop. He said I would never get a response and I never did.

So why compromise?? Your safety? Your family's safety? Go for a respectable brand with trust worthy wet grip ratings and decent online reviews.

I would if it was Celine Dions
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13346.00
      02-09-2019, 02:30 AM   #26
Gaz330d
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F40 M135i xDrive

I’ve had part worn Bridgestones and Goodyear RFT on my old 330d. I’ve never had any problems. But I have always fully inspected the tyres before buying them and made sure I was 100% happy. The only issue with the tyres I bought was that they had been punctured repaired. The tyres had something like 7-8mm left on them.
Most of the tyres probably come from places where the owner has been told they can’t repair a RFT tyre so they have had to buy a new one.
Appreciate 1
DaveH28287.00
      02-09-2019, 04:15 AM   #27
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsea_Tractor View Post

Most houses and flats that are for sale come with them
      02-09-2019, 04:51 AM   #28
GEP77
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3 Long Range.

The biggest issue with buying used runflat tyres (especially ones that have been repaired) is that you don't know whether they have been run while flat.
A traditional tyre will be visibly damaged after even a very short amount of time while flat, a runflat will not. The only real way to determine whether the sidewall structure of the tyre is in good condition would be by X-raying the tyre. I can pretty much guarantee that no tyre fitter would do this.

Ultimately it all comes down to a balance of risk against cost.

For instance would you be prepared to save £50 on a flight but you have to fly on an aircraft that the owners only fit parts on that don't have a known provenance or spend the extra and get on a plane that has been maintained using parts that have trackable histories that have been overhauled to the manufacturers specifications. I know which I'd rather.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 03:38 PM   #29
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by C320 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan4 View Post
I've never gone down the part worn route but I have bought brand new tyres off Ebay before. On 2 occasions I've got a pair of rear pirelli run flats fitted for half the list price.

I personally wouldn't buy unbranded.
I’d just throw some caution regarding ‘brand new’ tyres on eBay. Always check the DOT number as I’ve mentioned above. I’ve seen ‘new’ tyres complete worth their labels / stickers advertised on eBay that were actually over 5 years old!

Personally I’d prefer a newer part warn tyre than a 5 year old ‘new’ tyre. For all those that are against part worn tyres, if you’ve ever bought a used car remember your typically most likely getting part worn tyres too (unless you you’re in the habit of replacing all of the tyres upon collection!)
yup, fair point!

Gone but not forgotten - F80 m3 Comp, F30 340i, F30 - 320i
Appreciate 2
dizzy619446.50
C320342.50