F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BimmerTech: CarPlay MMI Demo
proTUNING Freaks

07-31-2018, 05:53 PM   #1
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Arrow BimmerTech: CarPlay MMI Demo

I think CarPlay is currently the best multimedia upgrade for BMW cars with a small screen.
What do you think?

It works great with NBT and Evo ID4 too.

Appreciate 5
dr.roro195.50
Bestia64.50
x-m4n148.00
X3power10.00
      07-31-2018, 06:46 PM   #2
dr.roro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 X3

Garage List
When???
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 07:37 PM   #3
SecretAsianMan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911

Very interested to learn more.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 05:36 AM   #4
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

There’s a link in the video description
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 02:39 PM   #5
SecretAsianMan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911

In the video why is the user going through menus to pick aux input audio? Is that needed every time you want to use carplay?

Looks like you press 8 to get back out of carplay? Is this the unichip carplay device?

What does the install look like?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 03:45 PM   #6
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAsianMan View Post
In the video why is the user going through menus to pick aux input audio? Is that needed every time you want to use carplay?

Looks like you press 8 to get back out of carplay? Is this the unichip carplay device?

What does the install look like?
You have to activate AUX to get audio from CarPlay.

We’ve been using number 8 to activate different features in our MMIs for years. I

The MMI connects to the head unit and the screen like all our MMIs. In rare cases you might need to run a wire to the factory mic. Instructions for each car, based on the specification, will be provided.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 03:53 PM   #7
skierrob
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW F30 White

Just spoke with Nelson and he said he would test some functionality for me... but was wondering if anyone knows the answer already?

I had purchased a similar solution from another place and it had nothing but issues. So before I spend another $525 on a solution from BimmerTech, I'd like to know the following:

1. Have Bluetooth enabled in your BMW for phone calls (you can disable Bluetooth music audio), and then try to use CarPlay after making a phone call through Bluetooth. Does Car Play audio still work through the aux as expected? Or does audio try to route through Bluetooth and not work at all?

2. If you have to disable Bluetooth for Car Play audio to work properly, how can you make AND receive phone calls seamlessly when NOT in CarPlay mode (IE -- you might be listening to FM radio or a music CD and a phone call comes in to your iPhone -- how does that audio for that phone call route to the BMW speakers?)

3. If you have Bluetooth enabled and are in CarPlay mode, how does phone audio get to car speakers if a phone call comes in? And does Car Play audio still work for music after the phone call ends?

4. When listening to music through CarPlay for longer than about five minutes, do you hear any audio drop-outs through the AUX interface?

5. I assume there is no "native integration"? IE -- if I am listening to FM radio, and my phone gets a text message, no notification will display on my BMW iDrive display saying I have a text message with an offer to read the message? Correct?

6. How hot does the box run? The last box I had ran extremely hot and eventually stopped working completely.

I lost several dollars in shipping and install fees with the Car Play box I bought from this other vendor, and I don't want a repeat of that experience.

Thanks,
Robert
Appreciate 1
X3power10.00
      08-02-2018, 02:02 AM   #8
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i blue

Work with iOS 12 and google maps?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 04:23 AM   #9
MarkoSK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330eX

What about Android, anything new in that department? ;-)
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 08:49 PM   #10
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
I have some questions as well...

1. Does it use the factory microphone for all functions… Siri, phone calls, voice over, etc…. I really don’t want to use / wire another mic.

2. Do you have to be in the CarPlay interface in order to receive notifications, such as text message notifications? I assume, yes.

3. Do you have an install / wiring guide online for me to browse prior to ordering?

4.Are there pictures available anywhere to see what it looks like and it’s size?

5. Where in the US does it ship from, and is it in stock?

08-02-2018, 08:55 PM   #11
dr.roro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 X3

Garage List
Does it work and scale properly on 8.8" screens?
Any support for screen mirroring and/or USB video?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 12:08 PM   #12
J_Tremain
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonchicken View Post
Work with iOS 12 and google maps?
Google Maps and Waze integration into CarPlay won't happen until iOS 12 is publically released this Fall and even then it'll be dependent upon Google to release the updates to both which would take advantage of the API's CarPlay uses.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 01:24 PM   #13
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierrob View Post
Just spoke with Nelson and he said he would test some functionality for me... but was wondering if anyone knows the answer already?

I had purchased a similar solution from another place and it had nothing but issues. So before I spend another $525 on a solution from BimmerTech, I'd like to know the following:

1. Have Bluetooth enabled in your BMW for phone calls (you can disable Bluetooth music audio), and then try to use CarPlay after making a phone call through Bluetooth. Does Car Play audio still work through the aux as expected? Or does audio try to route through Bluetooth and not work at all?

2. If you have to disable Bluetooth for Car Play audio to work properly, how can you make AND receive phone calls seamlessly when NOT in CarPlay mode (IE -- you might be listening to FM radio or a music CD and a phone call comes in to your iPhone -- how does that audio for that phone call route to the BMW speakers?)

3. If you have Bluetooth enabled and are in CarPlay mode, how does phone audio get to car speakers if a phone call comes in? And does Car Play audio still work for music after the phone call ends?

4. When listening to music through CarPlay for longer than about five minutes, do you hear any audio drop-outs through the AUX interface?

5. I assume there is no "native integration"? IE -- if I am listening to FM radio, and my phone gets a text message, no notification will display on my BMW iDrive display saying I have a text message with an offer to read the message? Correct?

6. How hot does the box run? The last box I had ran extremely hot and eventually stopped working completely.

I lost several dollars in shipping and install fees with the Car Play box I bought from this other vendor, and I don't want a repeat of that experience.

Thanks,
Robert
First of all, you must disable Bluetooth on your iPhone or at least disconnect from your car's Bluetooth system to use all CarPlay MMI's features.

If you do not do it, you will not be able to make/receive calls or talk to Siri.
It's kind of similar with the factory CarPlay integration when the car takes you to CarPlay to answer a call even if you are not in the CarPlay mode. Of course it's a different level of integration, so it's done seamlessly.

When you are not in the CarPlay mode you have to have AUX activated to receive calls. When you hear the phone ringing through your car speakers while not in the CarPlay mode you can answer either by pressing 8 on the radio panel to get quickly to CarPlay and then just use the telephone steering wheel button or you can stay in the iDrive mode but you will have to answer the call on your phone (you will still be using your car speakers and mic to talk).

If you want to use iDrive features like radio or CD and still be able to take advantage of hands-free calling, you should disconnect from CarPlay and connect your iPhone with the car over Bluetooth.
You will get CarPlay notifications only if you are in the CarPlay mode.

There are no audio drop-outs when using CarPlay.

All our MMIs get hot. Your radio head unit gets hot too. It does not mean they will fail. We have been testing our MMIs in very hot places like Dubai with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 01:35 PM   #14
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooshnoo View Post
I have some questions as well...

1. Does it use the factory microphone for all functions… Siri, phone calls, voice over, etc…. I really don’t want to use / wire another mic.

2. Do you have to be in the CarPlay interface in order to receive notifications, such as text message notifications? I assume, yes.

3. Do you have an install / wiring guide online for me to browse prior to ordering?

4.Are there pictures available anywhere to see what it looks like and it’s size?

5. Where in the US does it ship from, and is it in stock?
1.Yes, we use the factory mic.
2.Yes, you have to be in the CarPlay mode to get notifications.
3.We will upload install videos soon, but meanwhile you can check our YouTube to see how to install our MMIs. It will take around 1-2 hours to install it.
4.All our MMIs look the same - a metal box with wiring harness.
5.Our warehouses are in Orlando, FL, Poland and Dubai. The first CarPlay MMI orders are going to be shipped from Dubai next week.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 01:40 PM   #15
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

what's the value purchasing through bimmer-tech instead of ordering direct from unichip? is it better support, better service, warranty? I don't mind paying more as long as there is some benefit.
Appreciate 1
X3power10.00
      08-03-2018, 01:49 PM   #16
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.roro View Post
Does it work and scale properly on 8.8" screens?
Any support for screen mirroring and/or USB video?
It works fine with non-touch 8,8” screens. The right side of the screen (around 1/3) isn’t used just like in the factory BMW CarPlay.

We are going to add video playback from a USB thumb drive with the next software update. For screen mirroring check out our SmartView HD and HD Flex.
Appreciate 1
X3power10.00
      08-03-2018, 01:53 PM   #17
grahamrb
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 1-series m-sport 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post
It works fine with non-touch 8,8” screens. The right side of the screen (around 1/3) isn’t used just like in the factory BMW CarPlay.

We are going to add video playback from a USB thumb drive with the next software update. For screen mirroring check out our SmartView HD and HD Flex.
How do you do software updates? Are you planning regular updates to fix issues?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 02:01 PM   #18
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamrb View Post
How do you do software updates? Are you planning regular updates to fix issues?
Through the USB port where you plug your iPhone for CarPlay.
I can’t say how often updates will be released but if you look at our SmartView HD Flex as an example, we’ve been releasing updates every time Apple released new iOS.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 02:35 AM   #19
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
what's the value purchasing through bimmer-tech instead of ordering direct from unichip? is it better support, better service, warranty? I don't mind paying more as long as there is some benefit.
We are not reselling unichip. I’ve never seen their device but the reviews on the forum are not so great and you need to install an aftermarket mic.
We use the factory mic and our CarPlay MMI does exactly what it’s supposed to do, with no issues.

Will you get better support and customer service from us?
Of course, you will. This is BimmerTech
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 02:44 AM   #20
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Tremain View Post
Google Maps and Waze integration into CarPlay won't happen until iOS 12 is publically released this Fall and even then it'll be dependent upon Google to release the updates to both which would take advantage of the API's CarPlay uses.
That’s correct.
We tested CarPlay MMI with iOS 12 beta a few days ago and it worked fine, but Google Maps and Waze were not available to test yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 12:24 PM   #21
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Perhaps I should rephrase to get a response.

Is this better than the unichip offering?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 01:36 PM   #22
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Perhaps I should rephrase to get a response.

Is this better than the unichip offering?
Check three posts up

Last edited by Patrys@BimmerTech; 08-04-2018 at 01:41 PM..
Appreciate 0