F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > F31 LCI interior light problem
GetBMWParts

10-19-2016, 02:14 PM   #133
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73henny
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
I have been and reverted the car back to 6NH and the good news is my second USB mod still works so I might just leave 6NH in as I don't use the text message or two phone functions of EBT anyway!
So have they been able to programme the car now? Once they're finished surely you could add EBT again, as I can't see how that has anything to do with the light issue?
No they're doing it tomorrow. Apparently they didn't program the new module when they fitted it a few weeks ago! So they're hoping that will fix the problem.

If i have no need for ebt i may as well leave it off in case they do an update to the car when it's in for service in the future etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 09:09 AM   #134
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have been and reverted the car back to 6NH and the good news is my second USB mod still works so I might just leave 6NH in as I don't use the text message or two phone functions of EBT anyway!
So have they been able to programme the car now? Once they're finished surely you could add EBT again, as I can't see how that has anything to do with the light issue?
No they're doing it tomorrow. Apparently they didn't program the new module when they fitted it a few weeks ago! So they're hoping that will fix the problem.

If i have no need for ebt i may as well leave it off in case they do an update to the car when it's in for service in the future etc.
Any luck Teaston..?
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 12:43 PM   #135
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Any luck Teaston..?
Hasn't happened yet, but i've only done one longish journey since getting it back.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 12:06 PM   #136
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Well one of the reading light just came on half an hour into a journey! Ffs, pissed off with this now!!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 04:44 AM   #137
Drek
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ferrari F430 F1

Twice yesterday for me, Mrs Drek noticed each time. Getting a bit boring now.
www.bmwland.org.uk
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 04:57 AM   #138
XWV
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20

Mine's back in this morning for "investigations". The aim is that they're gathering info to then go to Munich for help - not sure how realistic this is, but we've always been pleased with them so far so willing to give them benefit of the doubt.

And I've got the perfect November courtesy car: 218d convertible.
      10-31-2016, 06:12 AM   #139
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWV View Post
Mine's back in this morning for "investigations". The aim is that they're gathering info to then go to Munich for help - not sure how realistic this is, but we've always been pleased with them so far so willing to give them benefit of the doubt.

And I've got the perfect November courtesy car: 218d convertible.
Hope they find your problem, if and when they do I'll take mine back, but until then I'm just going to leave it. I have now discovered I can turn them off by pressing the middle interior light button in the front twice, so no need to dangerously reach back to turn them off!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 07:07 AM   #140
Drek
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I have now discovered I can turn them off by pressing the middle interior light button in the front twice, so no need to dangerously reach back to turn them off!
Really? I've been doing it this way all the time, can't believe you've been reaching back to switch them off!
www.bmwland.org.uk
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 07:12 AM   #141
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Quote:
I have now discovered I can turn them off by pressing the middle interior light button in the front twice, so no need to dangerously reach back to turn them off!
Really? I've been doing it this way all the time, can't believe you've been reaching back to switch them off!
It didn't work that way in my E90, or maybe it was my E46!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 09:29 AM   #142
Drek
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

You must be very bendy, I couldn't do it!
www.bmwland.org.uk
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 11:40 AM   #143
XWV
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Some of us are still young and vigorous, gramps! (Ignoring that I needed a car with lumbar support and heated wheel...)

More seriously, I was reaching back to the individual switches too until someone - you, I think - pointed out that the main light switch does it.
Drek578.50
      10-31-2016, 12:46 PM   #144
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Some of us are still young and vigorous, gramps! (Ignoring that I needed a car with lumbar support and heated wheel...)

More seriously, I was reaching back to the individual switches too until someone - you, I think - pointed out that the main light switch does it.
Glad I wasn't the only one!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 02:32 PM   #145
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

So far, mine only appear to have come on at night. Am wondering if it may be related to adaptive lights as I have them on a lot at night...

I was reaching back to turn off also. Will now use the button by rear view mirror..!!!
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 06:21 AM   #146
XWV
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Mine only has bog standard halogens, so I doubt it's related. I think the lights also come on randomly in daylight, though it's less noticeable and of course could have happened when in tunnels etc.

Good news is that Andy at Cooper took my car home last night and experienced the problem first hand, so they're in a better position to report back to Germany. He also found this thread (and my half-hearted attempts to clean up after myself ) so is aware it's a wider issue.

Have to say (and not just because he's following this and still has my car!), having seen the responses other people have had from dealers in this thread and for other issues, I'm really pleased with the support from Cooper - they've taken it seriously from the outset, called with daily updates this week, shared any info they're finding etc. We'd been happy with them for both cars before, but this has reinforced it.

Just got to hope Germany can find not only the problem, but a solution.
      11-02-2016, 03:25 PM   #147
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Mine only has bog standard halogens, so I doubt it's related. I think the lights also come on randomly in daylight, though it's less noticeable and of course could have happened when in tunnels etc.

Good news is that Andy at Cooper took my car home last night and experienced the problem first hand, so they're in a better position to report back to Germany. He also found this thread (and my half-hearted attempts to clean up after myself ) so is aware it's a wider issue.

Have to say (and not just because he's following this and still has my car!), having seen the responses other people have had from dealers in this thread and for other issues, I'm really pleased with the support from Cooper - they've taken it seriously from the outset, called with daily updates this week, shared any info they're finding etc. We'd been happy with them for both cars before, but this has reinforced it.

Just got to hope Germany can find not only the problem, but a solution.
I am also very impressed with Cooper's support with mine, as a lot of others had it brushed off by their dealers! Just a shame they haven't managed to fix it, but I am fairly certain it is a software error, which is BMW Germany's fault, that only they can fix.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 06:22 AM   #148
XWV
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I agree, I'm pretty sure it's a software bug. I originally thought that it might be an interference/shielding issue, but Andy had already considered that and traced wiring for both the lighting and ACC - there don't appear to be any areas where they overlap.

I've had my daily call this morning. Having previously replaced the light module (as with yours) they're now replacing the lighting control module, and will then re-test it.
      11-03-2016, 09:15 AM   #149
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I agree, I'm pretty sure it's a software bug. I originally thought that it might be an interference/shielding issue, but Andy had already considered that and traced wiring for both the lighting and ACC - there don't appear to be any areas where they overlap.

I've had my daily call this morning. Having previously replaced the light module (as with yours) they're now replacing the lighting control module, and will then re-test it.
I believe it was the control module they replaced on mine.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 01:40 PM   #150
AlfaM
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340d

Quote:

I'd say it's hardware, otherwise BMW would have sorted it by now.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 01:47 PM   #151
XWV
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I believe it was the control module they replaced on mine.
If I'd had any optimism that this was going to fix it, you'd have punctured it nicely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random75 View Post
I'd say it's hardware, otherwise BMW would have sorted it by now.
Software issues are easy to roll out fixes for, but not always so easy to find or fix. There are lots of things more important than some reading lights coming on randomly that never get resolved.
      11-19-2016, 09:25 AM   #152
jnicholls84
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335D

Sorry to drag this up again but just wondering if anyone's made any progress with this?

Have the same issue with my new LCI F30 335D

Came on 3 or 4 times on my drive home last night, really irritating!

Cheers,
Jonny
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 09:30 AM   #153
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnicholls84 View Post
Sorry to drag this up again but just wondering if anyone's made any progress with this?

Have the same issue with my new LCI F30 335D

Came on 3 or 4 times on my drive home last night, really irritating!

Cheers,
Jonny
I'm really hoping someone will pop up on this thread saying they've found a proper fix for this! Mine is no better than before so the roof light module and software update is a waste of time.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 01:08 PM   #154
XWV
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Nope, still ongoing here too. Seems more frequent if anything, and last night I had my first instance of the light coming on when (I'm pretty sure) I hadn't had the ACC on at all - country roads across Lancashire & North Yorkshire in the wet and dark aren't ACC territory. I had had the limiter on in 30 zones though.