F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Apple CarPlay, Android Auto...
GetBMWParts
View Poll Results: Would you like Apple CarPlay or Android Auto integrated?
I would like Apple CarPlay integrated 16 38.10%
I would like Android Auto integrated 22 52.38%
I don't want Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integrated 4 9.52%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

07-20-2015, 07:03 AM   #1
Kart
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

Apple CarPlay, Android Auto...

Why BMW is not integrating Apple CarPlay and Android Auto?

The iDrive system is ok. The BMW navigation could be improved as most in car integrated navigation systems. The smartphones provide a faster way to enter a destination address which is just a click away most of the time. Looking for a phone number in the address book through the iDrive is not as efficient as it could be. I find easier and faster to skip the iDrive and use directly my Android phone.

As an Android user, I'm very disappointed to not see BMW as a manufacturer integrating Android Auto to it's product line.

I'm sure that Google and Apple are spending more in user interface R&D than BMW does which is one of the benefit for car manufacturers to integrate these systems.

I wish BMW will wake up and start integrating these systems.

I'm wondering how many people would like BMW to integrate Apple CarPlay and Android Auto in it's cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 09:46 AM   #2
Ouzzo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Why not both ? They are the most common smartphone platforms and companies should integrate with both IMHO
      07-20-2015, 04:19 PM   #3
hollandog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [9.00]
I would get the tech pkge if they offer the integration.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 04:44 AM   #4
mackannn
Rep
Drives: Bmw 428ix 2015 - Bmw 120d 2013

new audi a4 got both..
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2015, 04:55 PM   #5
lominming
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i Convertible

A lot of car manufactures are just behind the times with their integrated car systems. Allow Google or Apple to own that in-car infotainment experience will allow us to have a much better experience. The only problem is that car manufactures do not want other companies to have such integration with the car, and tries to reinvent the wheel. E.g. Every other navigation systems is bad compared to Google Maps.

I wish I can retrofit both Apple Carplay and Android Auto into my car...
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 09:26 AM   #6
DanITman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by lominming View Post
A lot of car manufactures are just behind the times with their integrated car systems. Allow Google or Apple to own that in-car infotainment experience will allow us to have a much better experience. The only problem is that car manufactures do not want other companies to have such integration with the car, and tries to reinvent the wheel. E.g. Every other navigation systems is bad compared to Google Maps.

I wish I can retrofit both Apple Carplay and Android Auto into my car...
The ship that is the car manufacturing business turns very slowly. So much safety and logistics go into making a car that what you see now was actually developed well over three to five years ago. There is so much of car integrated into the Infotainment system that it isn't as simple as activating it. Think about all the components that the infotainment system controls and then somehow integrating a third party that only wants to run some portions of that. When you start to think about it, it gets messy real quick.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 04:49 PM   #7
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouzzo View Post
Why not both ? They are the most common smartphone platforms and companies should integrate with both IMHO
Ouzzo,

+1. In fact, IOS and Android are the vast majority of phones (probably about 75% or more), so why not set up some straight forward standards to integrate both into cars? Seems to me that if I can read a iPhone document and vice versa, then this is imminently doable

For what it's worth (with due apologies to Buffalo Springfield)

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0