F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Routing USB cable into armrest from CarPlay MMI
GetBMWParts

01-31-2021, 02:22 PM   #1
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A slow car

Lightbulb Routing USB cable into armrest from CarPlay MMI

I get the jist people just tuck the female usb connector out of sight or don’t use wired CarPlay.

My idea is the following as I was hoping to also use wired CarPlay:

Wire the USB connection from the MMI box to the underside of the armrest trim, I have already removed what used to be the centre console phone holder.

Ideally I would like to keep it looking as OEM as possible, so I was thinking about buying the following part (9207358), with the idea of using a dremel and cutting enough space to slot in an additional USB only cover, similar to the existing one you find in your armrest (yes, some are usb + AUX, and LCI is usb only).

However the underside of the (female) USB connector in the armrest is some sort of 4 pin connector. Is there a way to utilise this existing usb connector to direct to a MMI box?

Example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-F30-F....m46890.l49292

Is this the part I’m looking for? With the above I would then make an additional hole to house the second usb connector, then plug this cable in and route to the MMI.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353341546680

The alternative would be to get a ‘dashboard’ male to female usb cable that clips in underneath to ensure when plugging and unplugging there isn’t movement.

Less OEM look, cheaper, same end result.

Thoughts?? Thanks

Last edited by KTE; 01-31-2021 at 08:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 04:53 PM   #2
sbw93
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 420D

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTE View Post
I get the jist people just tuck the female usb connector out of sight or don’t use wired CarPlay.

My idea is the following as I was hoping to also use wired CarPlay:

Wire the USB connection from the MMI box to the underside of the armrest trim, I have already removed what used to be the centre console phone holder.

Ideally I would like to keep it looking as OEM as possible, so I was thinking about buying the following part (9207358), with the idea of using a dremel and cutting enough space to slot in an additional USB only cover, similar to the existing one you find in your armrest (yes, some are usb + AUX, and LCI is usb only).

However the underside of the (female) USB connector in the armrest is some sort of 4 pin connector. Is there a way to utilise this existing usb connector to direct to a MMI box?

Example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-F30-F....m46890.l49292

Is this the part I’m looking for? With the above I would then make an additional hole to house the second usb connector, then plug this cable in and route to the MMI.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353341546680

The alternative would be to get a ‘dashboard’ male to female usb cable that clips in underneath to ensure when plugging and unplugging there isn’t movement.

Less OEM look, cheaper, same end result.

Thoughts?? Thanks

Did you end up going for one of these options?
Appreciate 0