F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Sport automatic -- 2TB do it!
GetBMWParts

04-05-2020, 08:22 PM   #309
Charkatak
Rep
Drives: MINI COOPER S F55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRii328i View Post
Launch control aside, the paddle shifters are able to be retrofitted, so switching the program on the ZF transmission itself shouldn't be problematic I hope? I do honestly think (and someone may clarify), that if you had launch control from the factory it would have some extra cooling capacity on the vehicle, and if not, you wouldn't?
The paddle shifters are not important to me, had them on my 2016 GTI and just used them couple of times and forgot about them.
So on the MINI people did buy steering wheel with paddle shifters and coded them including 2TB and LC. Owners report that LC is limited to 99 count. No one was able to verify that...at least not in forums. If that is indeed true, then it is possible that MINI intentionally limiting LC because it isn't good for the engine/trans. I was thinking to still enable paddle shifters(if car won't throw any error code) just in case for the future retrofit, 2TB and LC(would test it once) but no more than that.
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2020, 11:56 AM   #310
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2, 2024 m235i

I'd like add to the conversation again. I called the dealer about some unrelated things. N26 issues and such. But I told him I wanted to retrofit paddle shifters and that I read I'd need to code 2TB to do it. I asked him "if it's just a mod you make to the computer, then the transmissions are identical?" And he literally told me the only difference is the programming, and I would need to code in the sport transmission programming to make the paddles work. So, aside from launch control (didnt inquire), changing to 2TB DOES TRULY in fact give the shift patterns of the sport transmission according to my service manager... I have noticed mine shifts more at like 3k or 4k than redline now, and gets into the next gear more quickly. I love it. It's the most definitive answer I've heard. Just thought I'd share.
Appreciate 2
sspade2464.50
      04-06-2020, 01:13 PM   #311
Charkatak
Rep

Quote:
I'd like add to the conversation again. I called the dealer about some unrelated things. N26 issues and such. But I told him I wanted to retrofit paddle shifters and that I read I'd need to code 2TB to do it. I asked him "if it's just a mod you make to the computer, then the transmissions are identical?" And he literally told me the only difference is the programming, and I would need to code in the sport transmission programming to make the paddles work. So, aside from launch control (didnt inquire), changing to 2TB DOES TRULY in fact give the shift patterns of the sport transmission according to my service manager... I have noticed mine shifts more at like 3k or 4k than redline now, and gets into the next gear more quickly. I love it. It's the most definitive answer I've heard. Just thought I'd share.
Right, that is what some MINI forum guys thought, that 2TB has different shift points/pattern. So if it shifts faster as you say at around 3/4K RPM, then does it make the 2TB faster than 205?

Since I bought my car used, I don't know if it was coded, so for now assuming it was not.
This is what I see on my MINI when I test drove it. The sport mode switched on and shifter moved to S as well. Test was done up to 90 MPH:

1) Car shifted from S1 to S2 at 4000 RPM and at 20 MPH
2) Car shifted from S2 to S3 at over 6100 RPM at 50 MPH
3) Car shifted from S3 to S4 at over 6100 RPM at 85 MPH
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 01:32 PM   #312
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charkatak View Post
Right, that is what some MINI forum guys thought, that 2TB has different shift points/pattern. So if it shifts faster as you say at around 3/4K RPM, then does it make the 2TB faster than 205?

Since I bought my car used, I don't know if it was coded, so for now assuming it was not.
This is what I see on my MINI when I test drove it. The sport mode switched on and shifter moved to S as well. Test was done up to 90 MPH:

1) Car shifted from S1 to S2 at 4000 RPM and at 20 MPH
2) Car shifted from S2 to S3 at over 6100 RPM at 50 MPH
3) Car shifted from S3 to S4 at over 6100 RPM at 85 MPH
Feels like you're going faster, but I've not attempted to check. It's different though. The pull of the motor feels the same, but doesnt wind out it's acceleration all the way to redline before it switches up a gear, like DS mode did.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 02:00 PM   #313
Charkatak
Rep

Quote:
Feels like you're going faster, but I've not attempted to check. It's different though. The pull of the motor feels the same, but doesnt wind out it's acceleration all the way to redline before it switches up a gear, like DS mode did.
Hmm. As I know, any sport transmission holds gears longer for better speed but 2TB option changes gear early/faster and not longer? What is the benefit of this? Could it be that it is a Marketing thing so people that paid for this option would feel difference when driving compared to 205?
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2020, 02:37 PM   #314
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Hmm. As I know, any sport transmission holds gears longer for better speed but 2TB option changes gear early/faster and not longer? What is the benefit of this? Could it be that it is a Marketing thing so people that paid for this option would feel difference when driving compared to 205?
I think, yes. I honestly couldnt tell you which I think is faster. But it does feel different and more fun to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 03:07 PM   #315
Charkatak
Rep

Quote:
I think, yes. I honestly couldnt tell you which I think is faster. But it does feel different and more fun to me.
Maybe your first point "2TB is pretty much useful with paddle shifters). It is possible that making shifts faster, allows paddle shifters to abruptly change gears and that is why factory may not enable 2TB without paddle shifters. That is pretty much the only physical part that needs to be retrofitted if user so desires. Rest can be coded. Today finally I am getting the Enet cable and will see what my car is set to and try to make a change to 2TB . Don't know if it will benefit me without paddle shifters. I do hope that speed of transmission is not slower than with 205 option.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 03:23 PM   #316
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Maybe your first point "2TB is pretty much useful with paddle shifters). It is possible that making shifts faster, allows paddle shifters to abruptly change gears and that is why factory may not enable 2TB without paddle shifters. That is pretty much the only physical part that needs to be retrofitted if user so desires. Rest can be coded. Today finally I am getting the Enet cable and will see what my car is set to and try to make a change to 2TB . Don't know if it will benefit me without paddle shifters. I do hope that speed of transmission is not slower than with 205 option.
It is not slower. I just dont know if it increases 0-60 times. Really though. It's fun. You'll see. I prefer it.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 03:26 PM   #317
Charkatak
Rep

Quote:
It is not slower. I just dont know if it increases 0-60 times. Really though. It's fun. You'll see. I prefer it.
Interesting... So with lower RPM shifts, is it easier to drive in Sport mode in the city, without engine braking? Normally when I drive in the city with Sport mode and shifter to sport, it holds higher RPM thus making engine brake and not comfortable when it does that.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 03:48 PM   #318
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Interesting... So with lower RPM shifts, is it easier to drive in Sport mode in the city, without engine braking? Normally when I drive in the city with Sport mode and shifter to sport, it holds higher RPM thus making engine brake and not comfortable when it does that.

I feel that is the case yes. Or hauling ass on a curvy road.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2020, 03:18 PM   #319
matwas
Rep
Drives: F30 328XI

Hello, will anyone send me step-by-step instructions?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 06:33 PM   #320
Charkatak
Rep

Quote:
I feel that is the case yes. Or hauling ass on a curvy road.
Hey!

This morning I did FDL coding to EGS where I marked Sport T/M enabled(as it was disabled) Also in EGS there is Launch Control which was already set to active, although it didn't work before. I didn't have time to test it after enabling Sport AT setting. Didn't do anything to BDC_Body or KOMBI as NCD tool showed identical settings for these modules when 205 or 2TB is added.

So here is the thing I have observed: For the first 2 or 3 gear shifts, it doesn't hold high RPMs and shifts between 4 - 5K, after that it holds up to 6100K or so.
What I don't like is that it feels as if the transmission shifts abruptly and gives a jolt on some occasions.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2020, 07:47 PM   #321
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Hey!

This morning I did FDL coding to EGS where I marked Sport T/M enabled(as it was disabled) Also in EGS there is Launch Control which was already set to active, although it didn't work before. I didn't have time to test it after enabling Sport AT setting. Didn't do anything to BDC_Body or KOMBI as NCD tool showed identical settings for these modules when 205 or 2TB is added.

So here is the thing I have observed: For the first 2 or 3 gear shifts, it doesn't hold high RPMs and shifts between 4 - 5K, after that it holds up to 6100K or so.
What I don't like is that it feels as if the transmission shifts abruptly and gives a jolt on some occasions.

That is what I DO like! Haha. I felt before like it got hung "in gear" sometimes. A delay in the upshift or downshift. I'm into the "jolt" as opposed to the delay.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 08:13 PM   #322
Charkatak
Rep

Quote:
That is what I DO like! Haha. I felt before like it got hung "in gear" sometimes. A delay in the upshift or downshift. I'm into the "jolt" as opposed to the delay.
Hope there is no negative impact on the longevity of the transmission. If cars that were equipped with 2TB from the start are 100% identical mechanically then we should be fine. I might get a loaner this month and will test how it shifts
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2020, 03:00 PM   #323
brandonf30
Software Engineer
Rep
Drives: 2020 C8

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Luckily, I have a brand new transmission in my car with warranty so I'm not too scared about this! Tried it and boy do I have to say, HUGE difference... Shifts are almost instant.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2020, 10:29 AM   #324
Spaceire
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 330e

Hi all, I've joined the forum to try and figure out how to enable SAT on my F30 330e.

My particular car is an M sport with paddle shifters, if that makes any difference. My main gripe with the 330e's transmission is that even in SPORT+ and manual mode, the car will still kick-down gears if I go full throttle. It seems this is the default behaviour even in full manual mode and the only way to stop it is to code it out. Very frustrating that it won't stay in gear when I want it to!

I downloaded the bimmercode app and bought a compatible OBD adapter to try and code SAT. The app and dongle work just fine, but the cars EGS (Transmission) ECU module was nowhere to be found!

Upon digging through the forum, it seems the reason for this is that the 330e transmission is coded as 2TE and not 2TB. In order for the EGS and SAT option to appear in bimmercode, I first need to VO code my transmission to 2TB using E-sys tools if I am not mistaken?

Not sure if I'm barking up the right tree here so I'm looking for some guidance. The e-sys tool looks a bit scary to me, but if using it can stop the annoying down-shifts happening I'm willing to give it a try. Or if anyone knows of any other way that would be great too!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 02:45 PM   #325
Spaceire
Registered
Rep

Update to my above post:

So after a few more hours of reading and looking around I felt confident to do the VO code myself. (I already have an ENET cable)

As such I downloaded the FA with E-SYS tools, as expected it showed 2TE, changed it to 2TB, activated it and coded it back into the ECU.

I confirmed this was done correctly with bimmercode, which now read the VO as 2TB.

Unfortunately it hasn't worked! The EGS module still doesn't show the SAT option, and my car still does the same down-shifting at full throttle in manual mode.

I went back into e-sys and read the EGS module manually, and it would seem the values for SAT, don't exist in my ECU! Namely:
EGS/3000 Applikation -> Sportschalter_alt
EGS/3000 Applikation -> Sportschalter

Is there a reason for this? Would BMW have removed them in an ECU update? My car is a 2016MY but would be on the latest software (11/19). Did I code the FA wrong despite it showing up as 2TB on the car now? I'm not getting any error codes from the car either.

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 06:29 PM   #326
brandonf30
Software Engineer
Rep
Drives: 2020 C8

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceire View Post
Update to my above post:

So after a few more hours of reading and looking around I felt confident to do the VO code myself. (I already have an ENET cable)

As such I downloaded the FA with E-SYS tools, as expected it showed 2TE, changed it to 2TB, activated it and coded it back into the ECU.

I confirmed this was done correctly with bimmercode, which now read the VO as 2TB.

Unfortunately it hasn't worked! The EGS module still doesn't show the SAT option, and my car still does the same down-shifting at full throttle in manual mode.

I went back into e-sys and read the EGS module manually, and it would seem the values for SAT, don't exist in my ECU! Namely:
EGS/3000 Applikation -> Sportschalter_alt
EGS/3000 Applikation -> Sportschalter

Is there a reason for this? Would BMW have removed them in an ECU update? My car is a 2016MY but would be on the latest software (11/19). Did I code the FA wrong despite it showing up as 2TB on the car now? I'm not getting any error codes from the car either.

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers!
It doesn't work when you're in Comfort/Eco, you have to put your car to sport mode I believe. Not sure, just know that it doesn't do this in Comfort.
      04-24-2020, 05:26 AM   #327
Spaceire
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonf30 View Post
It doesn't work when you're in Comfort/Eco, you have to put your car to sport mode I believe. Not sure, just know that it doesn't do this in Comfort.
Appreciate the reply, but the issue with the 330e is that it still continues to forcibly downshift even in SPORT/+ mode in manual. It's seemingly a quirk of that particular model.

After a few more days of tinkering I haven't been able to solve it. I'm thinking the issue is when the E-SYS tool is calculating the new FA with the 2TB option selected, there are still other options selected related to the 330e that prevent the EGS values from appearing correctly. I don't know the consequences of removing/changing other options so I'm wary of messing around with them.

A user called FunkyDunc was able to get it working for his 330e earlier in this thread, but that was in 2016 and I guess the software for coding and the software on the ECU itself has changed since then.

I really wish I could get the car to stay in gear when I want it to. If anyone has any ideas why it would work in 2016 but not now I'm all ears!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 02:56 PM   #328
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...;v=cUKdmmptjPg

Made a short video with a bit of driving in both 2tb and 205. Just for fun. It's subtle but pretty noticable in the car.
      05-10-2020, 10:53 PM   #329
Torquey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i GT | 550i 6MT

NVM, checked BimmerCode again and Sport Automatic Transmission IS Active. I even checked the Sportshalter and Sportschalter_alt... both are active. Car has 2TB.. so it's all good.

Last edited by Torquey; 05-10-2020 at 11:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 09:35 AM   #330
rifle2000
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by onet View Post
Can you please describe what you have coded.
I am not sure if need to change the FA 205 with 2TB, then CODE the whole SVT tree or if the following configuration will also work.
FDS_MENUE_TEXT_1=> menue_3
FDS_MENUE_SIGNAL_1=> menue_3
FDS_MENUE_TEXT_2=> menue_3
FDS_MENUE_SIGNAL_2=> menue_3
FDS_MENUE_TEXT_3=> menue_3
FDS_MENUE_SIGNAL_3=> menue_3
FDS_MENUE_TEXT_4=> menue_3
FDS_MENUE_SIGNAL_4=> menue_3

ICM Module/ 3000 Daten/ IcmKod_B_Sportlenkung/ verbaut

EGS/3000 Applikation -> Sportschalter_alt -> aktiv
EGS/3000 Applikation -> Sportschalter -> aktiv

ICM/IcmKod_B_S2TBA -> verbaut

The reason why I ask is because I never made an VO coding before.
Just for complement... if You code Sportlenkung verbaut to ICM You have to code Sportlenkung in DSC also. I coded yesterday and got DSC error because of this.
Appreciate 0