F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Brake Caliper Cover
proTUNING Freaks

05-16-2020, 04:55 PM   #23
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

My calipers were silver color originally, when they started looking knarly I stayed with that color. I use this:
https://www.plastikote.com/products/...per-Paint.html
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 06:18 PM   #24
thatf30
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i M Sport

Garage List
2017 BMW 330i  [10.00]
Don't these promote overheating in your brakes? But what do I know
      05-20-2020, 09:28 PM   #25
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Aluminum sheds heat, so if anything it would keep the calipers cooler. But most of the heat build up in the brakes is in the rotors, so I doubt there's any benefit to it. If there was you'd see a dozen outfits selling them for just that reason.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 11:15 PM   #26
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishan99 View Post
Hey guys! I have a 2017 320i with base brakes. I am getting my stock rims powder coated gloss black. My car is jet black. My rims are currently plasti dipped black, and I have plasti dipped them like 4 times because it always gets messed up. I really love the black on black look.

My V brave is wrapped red and I want to have red brakes. I saw these covers online for $199 and I thought it was a good deal. I like how it's a solid red color without any nonsense on it. I want to put a high temperature BMW sticker on them. I think it would look awesome.

What do you guys think? Will this negatively impact my braking performance? Is this a stupid mod?

I have attached a picture, but here is the link:

https://www.calipercovers.com/classi...d-brake-covers
For as little as $50 you can brush on G2USA Caliper Paint. It's a two part epoxy like paint that levels out as it dries to a sprayed on finish.

The blue paint that BMW uses on M Sport brakes chips off like crazy. Not G2! After 18 months of driving, the calipers and rotor hats that I painted with G2 still look freshly painted.

Attached photo shows my caliper in G2 Gloss Black and the side of my rotor hat in G2 Silver. Also a photo of a friend's calipers after he painted them with G2 Ferrari Red.

To prep, I put a cheap oil drain pan underneath. I scrub my calipers with lots of Formula409 (I've tried many cleaners & this works best) and a few sizes of wire brushes. Then spray with brake cleaner to wash off the gunk. Let dry and use blue painter's tape to cover bleed nipples and any other part that you don't want to accidentally paint. Then you are ready to mix two parts of G2 together and paint.

Make sure to paint when air temperature is within prescribed range which may be 55-70 degrees Fahrenheit (can't recall exactly)

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0