F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > SCR Active Tank Level Sensor
Studio RSR

03-21-2020, 10:39 PM   #1
OneLapper
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31dx

SCR Active Tank Level Sensor

In addition to the DPF being at its End of Life, my beloved F31 bestowed another gift upon me today at 174k.

The DEF level came on a few days ago. Today I braved Walmart and bought a DEF container. As I'm filling it up the fluid overflows. Huh. Must have been pouring too quickly, odd though because I pride myself at being able to fill the DEF tank without spilling a drop.

Turns out the tank was full but the car doesn't think so.

Another $1k needed to keep this thing on the road!!! Unreal.

Hope it's a straight forward job.

I take it the level is in the Active SCR tank, right?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 11:04 AM   #2
crapSOOT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2011, 328xD 2014

Yes, the level sensor is in the active tank, and replacing it is not that hard if you are mechanically inclined. I had the link to look at newtis info for this, but can't find it now.

My car is the shop now and the SA is telling me that I have the level sensor issue, which is causing my "200 mile to NO START", (due to incorrect DEF fluid) which by the way started way before the level sensor issue.

C'mon, what kind of BS is that? there is no way the level sensor checks the quality of DEF, they already checked it at the shop and said there was nothing wrong with the DEF. sooo.....

In my limited understanding, the only way the DME/DDE can indirectly check the DEF quality, is through the NOX sensors (upstream and downstream), depending on the values reported by them.

sorry, I ranted there a little bit.

here's the link: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ogy/1VnYBWstan

Last edited by crapSOOT; 03-31-2020 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: link
Appreciate 0