F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > What should happen with unfinished sporting competitions?
proTUNING Freaks

04-30-2020, 11:16 AM   #1
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

What should happen with unfinished sporting competitions?

I see the French football authorities have given the League title to PSG, so I suppose that increases the likelihood that other leagues will do the same.

What do we think is the best solution?

Is being given a league title really the same as winning it properly?

Does that stand for the relegation positions too?
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 11:25 AM   #2
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
I see the French football authorities have given the League title to PSG, so I suppose that increases the likelihood that other leagues will do the same.

There’s a part of me that just says scrap it and go again next season with regards to Liverpool but I just don’t know.

I have very close contact with the club and the information we had from them last week said they still have very little idea what will happen.

F1, how long can they keep waiting for it to be viable?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 11:31 AM   #3
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

I think Maidenhead had the best idea to close the season and avoid lengthy and damaging legal battles...

Champions decided on a PPG basis
Promotion spots decided on a PPG basis - no play offs, tough

Relegation - scrapped this season (every team in a relegation place will claim they might have survived if season finished and its costing them money blah blah)

Rebalance numbers in leagues over next two seasons. Then everyone knows the rules ahead of time and know what they are playing against.

Of course if we cant have the new season start in August because of social distancing / a second spike / whatever, then we may choose to finish this one.

If Sky and BTSport dont like it and want their money back, let them go. Football will have to find its new financial level. And Sky and BT Sport will probably die very quickly without football.....
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 11:35 AM   #4
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncho View Post
Quote:

There’s a part of me that just says scrap it and go again next season with regards to Liverpool but I just don’t know.

I have very close contact with the club and the information we had from them last week said they still have very little idea what will happen.

F1, how long can they keep waiting for it to be viable?
F1 is in a slightly different position as the season never started, and if it does then everyone knows that's it's shorter than it was going to be. The rules say 8 races is the minimum so it shouldn't be an issue.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 11:35 AM   #5
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Being given the title is not quite the same as winning it properly, but No one can really dispute that Liverpool won the League this season.
Appreciate 2
Harryg276.00
      04-30-2020, 11:36 AM   #6
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
Being given the title is not quite the same as winning it properly, but No one can really dispute that Liverpool won the League this season.
Yes hard to argue against Liverpool.
But is being "given" it the same as winning it "properly"?

It's not quite up there with honorary doctorates in worthlessness though!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 11:48 AM   #7
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yes hard to argue against Liverpool.
But is being "given" it the same as winning it "properly"?

It's not quite up there with honorary doctorates in worthlessness though!
The history books will show them as Champions, their name will be on the trophy. They will, to everyone in a few years, be champions. And rightly. A class above anyone else.

I am more interested in Barrow in the national league. Thrown out in the days of voting for teams when they finished third bottom, both teams below them survived and replaced by Hereford I think after their giant killing exploits. On the verge of being back in the football league for first time in decades despite being an unfashionable club in a rubbish location. Thanks to a decent owner and a great manager in his first managerial position (I might be a bit biased on that one).

So much more important to them than the rich teams in the prem...
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 11:57 AM   #8
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

It's a nightmare.

Always going to be someone unhappy.

Premier League example as area I know best:-

Liverpool clear champs - should just be awarded as 25 points isn't in question

Then!

Relegation? WTF do you do, as it stands? Legal battles. No one relegated? Championship happy with that nope?

Same for European spots. Utd out of Champs League but have only 1 top 6 team to play, is that factored in and clearly have better momentum than say Spurs.

Just so so many factors.

My vote goes letting FIFA20 decide match results in a no player CPU v CPU televised simulation of the last fixtures.

eSports resolution
      04-30-2020, 11:59 AM   #9
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

I can see penalty shootouts in hazmat suits.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17485.50
      04-30-2020, 12:17 PM   #10
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

There's a point per game formula they will probably use to work out final positions.

Mr TP is the HR director of a PL team and it's been very interesting listening to everything they are going through and all the decision making going on behind the scenes.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 01:04 PM   #11
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
There's a point per game formula they will probably use to work out final positions.

Mr TP is the HR director of a PL team and it's been very interesting listening to everything they are going through and all the decision making going on behind the scenes.
He must have a long commute as none near your neck of woods... i guess London is relatively easy by train, Leicester not too bad...
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 01:26 PM   #12
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Given that we are in May and the new 20/21 season starts in Aug (football that is) I don't see much point in trying to restart now...im sure they would come up with some formula but I don't have a clue what that would be my self.. ?

Shame for Liverpool who won't get the finish they deserve imo.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 01:29 PM   #13
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Quote:

He must have a long commute as none near your neck of woods... i guess London is relatively easy by train, Leicester not too bad...
You might be right!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 02:05 PM   #14
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

Does the Pools Panel still exist? Get them to decide each remaining game and then at least the final table has the right number of matches.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 02:07 PM   #15
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
You might be right!
well I am hoping its the latter who are my second favourite prem team (and only because Sheff United are amazingly there and still there!)
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2020, 02:32 PM   #16
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Well the leak today from the EFL meeting is no relegations but two promotions from each league.

You can hardly relegate anyone from the PL as Villa haven't played the same amount of games so that support the EFL theory. Promote Leeds and West Brom., Cov and Rotherham, Crewe , Swindon

The court cases for the big money will come from Fulham / Forest but 6 points back with inferior goal diff...better luck next time.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 01:34 PM   #17
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep

So the bottom six clubs with West Ham the most vocal are apparently refusing to agree to the league resuming unless the others agree to no relegation!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-lockdown.html
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 01:38 PM   #18
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
So the bottom six clubs with West Ham the most vocal are apparently refusing to agree to the league resuming unless the others agree to no relegation!

Utter debacle trying to continue with any of this.
      05-04-2020, 01:54 PM   #19
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Quote:

Its amazing the Government are trying to ensure people in offices and businesses will have social distancing on return to work, yet the Premier League (with their own agenda ) are happy for 22 players to potentially swap bodily fluids on a football pitch in a contact sport.

We have medical experts saying CV 19 results in long standing lung damage in some cases, yet the PL want players to take a potentially career threatening risk ?

I know they want to test everyone including the stadium cat but there have been cases of people in hospital testing negative twice and finally positive just as they shuffled off this mortal coil.

Knock it on the head please.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17485.50
      05-04-2020, 02:13 PM   #20
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1664 View Post
Quote:

Its amazing the Government are trying to ensure people in offices and businesses will have social distancing on return to work, yet the Premier League (with their own agenda ) are happy for 22 players to potentially swap bodily fluids on a football pitch in a contact sport.

We have medical experts saying CV 19 results in long standing lung damage in some cases, yet the PL want players to take a potentially career threatening risk ?

I know they want to test everyone including the stadium cat but there have been cases of people in hospital testing negative twice and finally positive just as they shuffled off this mortal coil.

Behind the scenes the government are putting massive pressure on the PL to get started again.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 02:20 PM   #21
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Behind the scenes the government are putting massive pressure on the PL to get started again.
That's a bit weird. No doubt to boost moral of the nation or something?

Could end up being a spectacular own goal.
      05-04-2020, 02:23 PM   #22
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's a bit weird. No doubt to boost moral of the nation or something?

Could end up being a spectacular own goal.
Exactly. They think it will make it easier to keep people at home if football is on tv every night, hence the talk of making the remaining games free to air.
Appreciate 0