F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Working from home
Studio RSR

05-06-2020, 02:46 AM   #45
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by smorg99 View Post
Both myself and my wife are working from home. It would be brilliant if not for our 6 year old haha!
Honestly, it's really hard. Trying to juggle work, meetings, phone calls and getting him to do a little school work/keeping him entertained.
Sometimes I'm envious hearing about all those people bored on their own. What I'd give for a week of solitude.
Joking, obviously...a month would be better
I spy a little brother or sister in 10 months
      05-06-2020, 02:48 AM   #46
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedski View Post
Working from home is perfect for the way I work. I usually travel alot so I am either in a plane, a remote office or home.

My employer is one of those multi-billion businesses and they have already scrapped a project that had been running for THREE years to move to new offices and the facilities team have already been instructed to start planning for moving people apart. Being in an office in the future will be very different, even after a vaccine as far as they are concerned already...

Irony is they had just spent a fortune putting most of the staff in chicken coop desk layouts and now they are having to go in the opposite direction.

I must admit, I might actually get round to setting a desk with a triple monitor mount at home now that I have some home time on my hands
Interesting to see companies strategy changing so quick. I love it. After 20+ years a little bored of driving to Manchester each week. Not every day of course but literally every single week.
      05-06-2020, 03:22 AM   #47
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Interesting to see companies strategy changing so quick. I love it. After 20+ years a little bored of driving to Manchester each week. Not every day of course but literally every single week.
I'm writing our office reopening plan.

So far it has a max capacity at about 1/3 of current, only one meeting room can be used for face to face meetings, capacity down from 20 to 6.... and an instruction that we only go into the office if really necessary (new starter inductions, design meetings) or you are one of the few teams who need printing and scanning facilities on an industrial scale....

Wish me luck!
Appreciate 2
JustChris17487.50
C320342.50
      05-06-2020, 03:57 AM   #48
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Quote:

So far it has a max capacity at about 1/3 of current, only one meeting room can be used for face to face meetings, capacity down from 20 to 6.... and an instruction that we only go into the office if really necessary (new starter inductions, design meetings) or you are one of the few teams who need printing and scanning facilities on an industrial scale....

Wish me luck!
Good luck!

2m at all times
      05-06-2020, 04:07 AM   #49
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Good luck!

2m at all times
That last point means a traffic light on the bogs, one person at any time!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 04:24 AM   #50
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Quote:

Wish me luck!
About in line with our 4000 (ish) capacity head office and it's near neighbour that holds a slightly smaller number. Beyond my teams, I'm not involved in the planning of course, but those capacity numbers are about where we are going to end up.

Pretty sure that the government will urge WFH to continue for those that can anyway, leaving the opening up for those that do not have that luxury.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 05:01 AM   #51
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Good luck!

2m at all times
The 2m rule is just ridiculous. Scientists have confessed it was just plucked from nowhere.

1m may well work in most situations apparently. But if someone coughs or sneezes 2m isn’t even close to being far enough away.

I’d worry about surfaces more. Door knobs, toilet and kitchen facilities, office equipment like printers etc.

I’m keeping away from the office for as long as I can! Which in fairness is what I usually do anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 07:28 AM   #52
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
The 2m rule is just ridiculous. Scientists have confessed it was just plucked from nowhere.

1m may well work in most situations apparently. But if someone coughs or sneezes 2m isn’t even close to being far enough away.

I’d worry about surfaces more. Door knobs, toilet and kitchen facilities, office equipment like printers etc.

I’m keeping away from the office for as long as I can! Which in fairness is what I usually do anyway.
Absolutely - cleaning after your self is written in there now.

Bigger issue might be getting there - if the trains and tubes are down to 15% of normal capacity, half the staff wont be able to get in anyway...

Not sure I could do another 7 months of wfh 5 days a week, although it is good for bank balance....given my commute is Ł400 a month...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 08:38 AM   #53
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Good luck!

2m at all times

1m may well work in most situations apparently. But if someone coughs or sneezes 2m isn't even close to being far enough away.

I'd worry about surfaces more. Door knobs, toilet and kitchen facilities, office equipment like printers etc.

I'm keeping away from the office for as long as I can! Which in fairness is what I usually do anyway.
Serious options below (and you are welcome for the brain storiming) ;-

- Can doors be temporarily removed?
- Could extra handles be put on doors? (Might jest bit 4 handles means each one is touched 4 times less and if routinely wiped down several times a day?
- Bathrooms, how quickly could they be fitted with contactless taps? The 'cleanest' option I've see is those Dyson units with sensors for soap, taps and dryer all within the basin.
- Office air con must be worth a BIG inverstigation. I'm sure better HEPA filters or whatever could be fitted or a less Covid fries to temp used?

None of these are that easy but there's always a cost V risk business case.

Contactless office of the future.
      05-06-2020, 09:06 AM   #54
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Good luck!

2m at all times

1m may well work in most situations apparently. But if someone coughs or sneezes 2m isn't even close to being far enough away.

I'd worry about surfaces more. Door knobs, toilet and kitchen facilities, office equipment like printers etc.

I'm keeping away from the office for as long as I can! Which in fairness is what I usually do anyway.

- Could extra handles be put on doors? (Might jest bit 4 handles means each one is touched 4 times less and if routinely wiped down several times a day?
- Bathrooms, how quickly could they be fitted with contactless taps? The 'cleanest' option I've see is those Dyson units with sensors for soap, taps and dryer all within the basin.
- Office air con must be worth a BIG inverstigation. I'm sure better HEPA filters or whatever could be fitted or a less Covid fries to temp used?

I hate those combined Dyson taps the dryer blows all the water droplets in the sink all over the place. Wouldn't want to use one that had been used by a covid (or other disease) suffered previously. Or be in the same room when someone uses it.

(At least the ones I have seen so this).

Also hate the Dyson 'lower your hands in' driers that blow water everywhere.

Nothing beats paper towels in a properly working dispenser imho. And you can also take one to use on door handles on the way out.

You've hit one of my normal pre-covid life peeves

Appreciate 2
six377.00
Ridg205.00
      05-06-2020, 09:37 AM   #55
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

its an open plan office so only door handles on meeting rooms, bogs and main doors. We are looking at foot pulls so no hands needs, but failing that sanitiser on the wall next to them....

contactless taps - well if you have contactless soap and put that on first then hands never get touched by virus laden hands, so will avoid that one - and we have contactless soap....

air con - it barely bloody works on a good day, not sure fiddling with it to add filters will work. Will turn it off, if you are in the office you may be warm.....

Or better still. Stay at home. Save lives.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 10:34 AM   #56
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Just discussed this with my team and they cannot see any need to go to the office for well ever! I do though just to keep some relationships going but not anytime soon. Agreed with others the office is one thing, virus infected minicabs, trains and tubes are another..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 12:35 PM   #57
six
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
I hate those combined Dyson taps the dryer blows all the water droplets in the sink all over the place. Wouldn't want to use one that had been used by a covid (or other disease) suffered previously. Or be in the same room when someone uses it.

This +1000%

I hate blown air hand dryers of all sorts. I hate the loud noise and I especially hate the fact they suck up and blast germs all over your supposedly clean hands Those Dyson ones where you have to lower your hands in give me the absolute creeps!
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2020, 12:38 PM   #58
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by six View Post
Quote:

This +1000%

I hate blown air hand dryers of all sorts. I hate the loud noise and I especially hate the fact they suck up and blast germs all over your supposedly clean hands Those Dyson ones where you have to lower your hands in give me the absolute creeps!
Someone should really run a scientific study on the disgusting things

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 01:12 PM   #59
Bibbles
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i MPPSK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This +1000%

Pretty sure they just dry your hands by blowing the water onto your trousers and shoes, hateful things. I'm assuming it's a fire regulation thing but I never understand why toilet doors aren't push on the way out, that way you can do it with your foot rather than having to pull a handle that some idiot has used without washing his hands.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2020, 04:26 PM   #60
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibbles View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This +1000%

Pretty sure they just dry your hands by blowing the water onto your trousers and shoes, hateful things. I'm assuming it's a fire regulation thing but I never understand why toilet doors aren't push on the way out, that way you can do it with your foot rather than having to pull a handle that some idiot has used without washing his hands.
I think it's to stop you knocking someone out as they walk past the Gents. I always use my left little finger to open the toilet door if there's no alternative.
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18762.00
      05-07-2020, 12:23 AM   #61
zofinger
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 335d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsRedBaby View Post
I think it's to stop you knocking someone out as they walk past the Gents. I always use my left little finger to open the toilet door if there's no alternative.
Which could be how we’re shaking hands in the future. Or is it the elbow rub. Or is it just a nod of the head.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2020, 01:50 AM   #62
Ridg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

Quote:

Nothing beats paper towels in a properly working dispenser imho. And you can also take one to use on door handles on the way out.

You've hit one of my normal pre-covid life peeves
the new Dyson airblade tap/dryer , is quite possibly the worst designed contraption in the world. Hap the misfortune of using one at an airport somewhere and it's a complete mess, it's not apparent where you put your hands for what function and how do you then dry your hands without turning the tap on again?

There's actually a guardian long read on dryers vs paper towels

https://www.theguardian.com/news/aud...v-paper-towels

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...dyson-airblade
Appreciate 2
six377.00
      05-07-2020, 05:04 AM   #63
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridg View Post
the new Dyson airblade tap/dryer , is quite possibly the worst designed contraption in the world. Hap the misfortune of using one at an airport somewhere and it's a complete mess, it's not apparent where you put your hands for what function and how do you then dry your hands without turning the tap on again?

Great articles, thank you

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 01:24 PM   #64
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridg View Post

Great articles, thank you
Dinosaurs
      05-07-2020, 02:26 PM   #65
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Hygenic Dinosaurs
FTFY

Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      05-07-2020, 02:35 PM   #66
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hygenic Dinosaurs
FTFY
I SAID THE TAPS BLOWING AIR MARGERY! Bloody blowing air, in the sink!!!!