F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F30 ebay headlights
ARMA SPEED

05-09-2018, 03:57 PM   #67
shadowx360
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandmaster View Post
Do you have a link on the headlights that you purchased? Also do you have any daylight pics of your headlights as I see that you have the chrome housing. The other pics I have seen are of the black housing
Car is very dirty but here is one with headlights off:

DRLs on:

If you zoom in, you'll see that "chrome" is actually closer to a mirror and you can see the reflection of the DRLs both when on and off. Definitely noticeably not stock to a BMW owner and car guy like myself but I've been told by others it's not noticeable. If I were to do it all over again, I'd still go with chrome for the luxury package and black for anything else. Black on the luxury package looks really out of place unless I black out all the trim and rims as well.

Link to set is https://www.protuninglab.com/pro-yd-bmwf3012-drl-c.html , and you can find them for a few bucks cheaper on EBay.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 11:41 PM   #68
brandmaster
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i

Thanks for posting the pictures and link. Its perfect seeing the headlights on black as I also have a black 3 series

I think on my year car (2016), that the sport trim was standard. I have black slats with the chrome surround for the grill. I was thinking of doing the dual slat gloss black grill (M3 style minus the badge). I'm thinking the black housing might look nice? https://www.protuninglab.com/hid-pro...12-drl-bk.html

Still deciding lol
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 06:12 AM   #69
shadowx360
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for posting the pictures and link. Its perfect seeing the headlights on black as I also have a black 3 series

I think on my year car (2016), that the sport trim was standard. I have black slats with the chrome surround for the grill. I was thinking of doing the dual slat gloss black grill (M3 style minus the badge). I'm thinking the black housing might look nice? https://www.protuninglab.com/hid-pro...12-drl-bk.html

Still deciding lol
I would get black. Skip the HID bundle though, those are 35W and not worth it as seen in previous posts. I'd much prefer LED but a 55W kit from Amazon is $50 with 2 year warranty, vs the unknown brand with no reviews from PTL.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 07:24 PM   #70
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Be really careful where you buy them Bims are notorious for finicky electrical systems.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 02:36 PM   #71
brandmaster
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i

I have seen 2 black ones on ebay with LED's installed on the low beams. Just wondering if I should go black, or smoke black?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CREE-Low-Be...QAAOSwvyNa61Gy

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CREE-Low-Be...53.m1438.l2649

Im thinking with the LEDs behind a projector, it should look pretty clean.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 03:41 PM   #72
shadowx360
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I have seen 2 black ones on ebay with LED's installed on the low beams. Just wondering if I should go black, or smoke black?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CREE-Low-Be...QAAOSwvyNa61Gy

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CREE-Low-Be...53.m1438.l2649

Im thinking with the LEDs behind a projector, it should look pretty clean.
If you look at my posts above, 99% chance those aren't genuine CREE. I looked at most of the LED H7 bulbs under a microscope and they're all Japanese/Chinese knockoffs. The beam pattern matters a lot with LEDs behind a projector since the LEDs are aimed sideways, while HIDs mostly project forward well since the element is fully exposed. All of the designs I've seen with the exception of the triple LED Hikari ones are glaring at night but are horrible projecting/throwing the light. So signs 300 yards in front off on the side of the road will glare back at you and annoy the crap out of everyone next to you thinking you have highbeams on, but does nothing to see that pothole 50 feet away in front of you. That's worse/on par with stock halogens.

If you do get either of those bundles, I highly suggest swapping the bundled LEDs to the high beams and dropping in the Hikari triple LED ones for low beam. I'd also recommend iBrightStar LED turn signals from Amazon, those aftermarket halogen ones don't look well with LED everything else, but that's an aesthetic choice. Both sets look good, maybe smoke goes well as a bit of contrast to pure black. Maybe throw in the LCI black line taillights as well?

Last edited by shadowx360; 05-12-2018 at 03:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 10:25 PM   #73
anikation
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowx360 View Post
If you look at my posts above, 99% chance those aren't genuine CREE. I looked at most of the LED H7 bulbs under a microscope and they're all Japanese/Chinese knockoffs. The beam pattern matters a lot with LEDs behind a projector since the LEDs are aimed sideways, while HIDs mostly project forward well since the element is fully exposed. All of the designs I've seen with the exception of the triple LED Hikari ones are glaring at night but are horrible projecting/throwing the light. So signs 300 yards in front off on the side of the road will glare back at you and annoy the crap out of everyone next to you thinking you have highbeams on, but does nothing to see that pothole 50 feet away in front of you. That's worse/on par with stock halogens.

If you do get either of those bundles, I highly suggest swapping the bundled LEDs to the high beams and dropping in the Hikari triple LED ones for low beam. I'd also recommend iBrightStar LED turn signals from Amazon, those aftermarket halogen ones don't look well with LED everything else, but that's an aesthetic choice. Both sets look good, maybe smoke goes well as a bit of contrast to pure black. Maybe throw in the LCI black line taillights as well?
I was planning on getting these Hikari LED bulbs based off your recommendation:
https://www.amazon.com/HIKARI-Headli...70_&dpSrc=srch

Do you think I need to get this Canbus resistor for any flickering issues or errors?
https://www.amazon.com/HIKARI-Conver...JFANHEAYJ5E8NC
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 10:19 AM   #74
Devf30
Registered
Rep
Drives: Black 2014 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KosmoK View Post
Here are a few pictures of the PTL headlights installed. With the 35w ballast, the headlights are to blue. After installing the 55w ballast, the headlights are more of a bright white. Also, no flickering with the 55w ballast. I plasti-dipped the grill black to match the headlights. I like how both the hi and low beams are projector lights. What is everybody using for the hi beams? For now, I have the stock halogen bulbs in the hi beams.
Hey so really nice lights, I’ve been looking at them for a pretty long time now but I have friends that told me about aftermarket ballast horror stories where they had to constantly replace them. I like the blue hue so I was thinking 8,000K HIDs But how have your ballasts and bulbs held up? And how difficult was the installation cause I’m pretty new to the whole car scene and my first cars a German pain in the ass
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 12:50 PM   #75
jlorenzo125
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320i Sportline

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1516772

Last edited by jlorenzo125; 07-22-2018 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 03:35 PM   #76
plikmuny
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d, 330D(2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anikation View Post
I finally installed these headlights on Saturday and love them. The LED halos are super bright. The only drawback is that I originally purchased LED headlight bulbs with the fans built into the bulbs and this housing does not have as much space as the stock OEM halogen lights do for clearance. I am going to have to return my LED bulbs and go with HID's so I can at least install the ballast in a clean way without having to cut into the back seal cover of the headlights.

Right now I am just using my Philips - Diamond Vision H7 bulbs for the time being, until I decide which HID's to purchase. The projectors do make it 100% better than the OEM headlights as far as driving at night, but I know HID's will be best.

I took some photos of the headlights with my phone, so pardon the quality but I know a lot of members here want to see what they look like..

I got the black housing lights, FYI.

To those who are wondering if you need to code the car or not with these lights, I am sorry I cannot help because I had coded my car prior to the install when I had LED DRL, park lights and fog lights installed last year. So, I'm not sure if it will throw an error or not.

I hope this helps anyone who is curious about these lights.
Awesome boss. I have exactly the same headlights and same colour. But I hate the beam pattern and it's not focused. How did you get such a good cut off?
Did you install HID to this headlight ? I have also bought 35W Ballast. But the bulb in this projector is 55w. How and where do you connect the Ballast to this headlight ?
Will 35W Ballast work for 55w bulb ?
Any detailed info or tutorial is highly appreciated.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 03:40 PM   #77
plikmuny
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KosmoK View Post
I just installed these from pro tuning labs:

https://www.protuninglab.com/hid-pro...12-drl-bk.html

The look like the same as yours, but with HID bulbs. I am experiencing some flickering. PTL is sending me 55w ballasts with cancelors built in at no charge. Once installed, I'll report back on wheather or not the new ballasts fixed the flickering issue.

So far, I really like the headlights. In my opinion, the look "meaner" and more modern than the round halo DRL.

What I'm cautious about, however, is all the wiring is on the outside of the headlight housing. Probably not an issue, but I'm worried about corrosion or possible "wear through" issues.

Do yourself a favor and remove the front wheels and fender liner for the install. It's so much easier than trying to work around the wheel and liner.
Can you post the diagram of wiring ? I wasn't to know his to connect the Ballast to this headlight.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 03:48 PM   #78
plikmuny
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by recromed View Post
Went the black housing and Morimoto 55w 5500k HIDs.
On for about three months- no issues and have had 100 degree plus days, 35 degree nights and a week of downpours.

Coded out hot and cold checks as well as the orange corner lights.
Hi, would you care to share the steps to install HID in this projector headlights ? I have the same set and I am planning to install HID only for low beam. I am bit confused anchor the wiring. Also the bulb in projector came with 55w and I have a Ballast which is 35w. How do I make it work ?
Thanks in advance...
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 11:24 PM   #79
bheng89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328xi

if its aftermarket HIDs, theres only 1 way to connect them for each plug.
First video I found on youtube:

2019 440i xDrive | Muffler Delete |
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 12:05 PM   #80
plikmuny
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheng89 View Post
if its aftermarket HIDs, theres only 1 way to connect them for each plug.
First video I found on youtube:
Hi, i know how to connect aftermarket HIDs for normal Halogen Headlights. But i want to know how and where to connect Ballast for this F32 stzle DRL/LED Angeleyes Projector Headlights.

I hope i made my question clear now.

Wiring diagram for Ballast into this Headlight...

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 01:23 PM   #81
bheng89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328xi

I think I understand what you mean. It is basically the same process. when removing the bulb out of the socket (the two spring clips). you pull the headlight out of the connector. I plugged the spade connectors into this square part (after you pull out the bulb), then insert the HID bulb and use the spring clips to hold it in place.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1459304

this unit linked above is using a different type of bulb holder compared to the one that jlorenzo posted. but the install process is similar.

If this doesn't answer your question: could you post a picture of the back of the headlights and where you need more clarification for the wiring diagram.

2019 440i xDrive | Muffler Delete |
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 05:26 AM   #82
shadowx360
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by plikmuny View Post
Hi, i know how to connect aftermarket HIDs for normal Halogen Headlights. But i want to know how and where to connect Ballast for this F32 stzle DRL/LED Angeleyes Projector Headlights.

I hope i made my question clear now.

Wiring diagram for Ballast into this Headlight...

Thanks
It's same. You use the existing plug inside the headlight to power the ballast, then plug ballast into bulb. The mounting is wherever you can find space on the outside. Running a 35W ballast and 55W bulb is fine but I'd rather get 55W since 35W is going to be dim and color is going to be off. I had good experiences with the LED bulbs I posted in this thread, with a really nice cutoff and projection, without having to mess with mounting and rewiring.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 11:52 AM   #83
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Hmmmmmmmmmm……..this would be nice if works as advertised

PHILIPS 2pc 55W H7 LED Headlights Driving High Low Beam Bulbs for Audi BMW Focus

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PHILIPS-2pc...UAAOSwovBbdTsl

Name:  H7 led.jpg
Views: 1260
Size:  189.7 KB
      08-28-2018, 01:09 PM   #84
brikabrak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlorenzo125 View Post
Got these for my ride as well. VIPMotoz was a pleasure to deal with.

Originally bought the smoked, but hated the look.

They let me swap them out for a clear lens version without even hesitating. Great service.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 03:43 PM   #85
jlorenzo125
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikabrak View Post

They let me swap them out for a clear lens version without even hesitating. Great service.
Wow, that's cool of them!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 04:44 PM   #86
plikmuny
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowx360 View Post
It's same. You use the existing plug inside the headlight to power the ballast, then plug ballast into bulb. The mounting is wherever you can find space on the outside. Running a 35W ballast and 55W bulb is fine but I'd rather get 55W since 35W is going to be dim and color is going to be off. I had good experiences with the LED bulbs I posted in this thread, with a really nice cutoff and projection, without having to mess with mounting and rewiring.
I meant that I have 35w ballast and 35w hid cnlight bulb which I bought for another vehicle and it's laying around.
I have this projector headlight on eBay purchased. It came with osram 55w bulb without ballast.
My question is can I replace this osram bulb (55w) with a 35w hid bulb and 35w ballast. With power supply and the light output will there be any discrepancies ? or dangers for the wiring systems ?
I can try and see but before I Fry the original parts or make them nonfunctional, I would like to be careful. That's why I asked the above question.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 12:51 AM   #87
Destrovi
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 320xi

Garage List
2013 BMW 320xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brikabrak View Post

Any pictures with the smoked and the clear lens?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 08:35 AM   #88
jlorenzo125
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destrovi View Post
Any pictures with the smoked and the clear lens?
My red f30 had the smoked lenses. See My post above.
Appreciate 0