F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Problem with tail light
GetBMWParts

10-13-2018, 02:51 PM   #1
t3chno
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 335, E46 S54 Sedan

Problem with tail light

Hello, looking for some help with my issue for my 2014 f32. My right side tail light works when I press on the brake but it doesn't turn on when I put my headlights on. Sometimes my turn signal would stop working too but would fix itself. I replaced the socket fixture and bulbs but still have the same problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 06:00 PM   #2
black13
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 f30 328i

having similar issue with taillight. after investigation, it appears there was a short and the brown wire pin from the housing burnt into the connector. thought cars had fuses to prevent this type of thing . anyways, was able to dig the burnt pin from the connector and have a new bulb housing on order. The pin receptacle is a bit mangled, so hard to say if it will fix the issue.

might pull the taillight again and inspect the wiring.

HTH
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 06:09 PM   #3
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by black13 View Post
having similar issue with taillight. after investigation, it appears there was a short and the brown wire pin from the housing burnt into the connector. thought cars had fuses to prevent this type of thing . anyways, was able to dig the burnt pin from the connector and have a new bulb housing on order. The pin receptacle is a bit mangled, so hard to say if it will fix the issue.

might pull the taillight again and inspect the wiring.

HTH
The brown pin is the ground wire, you can order a new harness, it also comes with new pins arrangement.

I am pretty sure that's yours and OP's issue with the tail light..

BMW been having issues with their tail lights since the E46, nothing new.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 10:30 PM   #4
t3chno
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 335, E46 S54 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
The brown pin is the ground wire, you can order a new harness, it also comes with new pins arrangement.

Thanks for replying. Is there built in led bulbs in the actual tail lights? I swapped my entire working tail light from the left side and plugged it in the right side connection and it worked. Took the non working tail light and did the same to left side connection and it had the same exact issue leaving me to believe the entire light fixture is bad.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 10:54 PM   #5
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3chno View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

Thanks for replying. Is there built in led bulbs in the actual tail lights? I swapped my entire working tail light from the left side and plugged it in the right side connection and it worked. Took the non working tail light and did the same to left side connection and it had the same exact issue leaving me to believe the entire light fixture is bad.
If your have the pre-LCI F30, there is a LEDs built in for the [COLOR="Blue"]tail light. [/COLOR] The brake, turn signal and reverse light are halogen bulbs.

The LCI is all LED lights with the exception of the reverse light bulb.

It is possible that the LED for the tail light is burned out but there are more than one LED in there for the tail light, so it's little odd that both are defective.

I think there might be a short within the tail light unit, thus the burnt-out wire.

Probably best to replace the harness, re-pin the ground wire and replace the one defective tail light.

Harness part number:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...g/61132359993/
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 04:45 AM   #6
Mikesmith2939
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i xdrive

This was a common issue on the E46.

The fix was to cut the ground off at the plug then connect it directly to the track on the light fitting.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 11:33 AM   #7
Samhessler
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320i F30

Rear Driver Side Light Malfunction

Hello,

My rear driver side lights keep malfunctioning. I get the error message "rear brake malfunction" and "rear turn signal malfunction". I have a 2015 320i and I do have a bumper to bumper that will cover this with a $250 deductible that I would like to avoid using if possible. I have changed the bulbs multiple times and even replaced the panel that you plug the bulbs into to no avail. It will work for a couple days then they go out and I get the same error. Any help??
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 12:18 PM   #8
Mikesmith2939
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i xdrive

Check the plug for the above issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 12:59 PM   #9
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

+1, it's very common. There are at least a half dozen threads here about it.
Appreciate 0