F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2016 BMW 340i xDrive - White smoke from exhaust and fuel smell
Studio RSR

05-09-2021, 12:44 PM   #23
WrxToBeamerGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
If it's just the diaphragm, it's a $40 part. I might even keep one in the car just in case so it doesn't leave me stranded.
maybe im just impatient but I had to basically destroy the cap to get it off.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 01:15 PM   #24
Th3Walrus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC Alpine White/Sahkir

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrxToBeamerGuy View Post
What are you trying to accomplish?
I have yet to hear a reason for idling for so long. Gas engines aren't meant to idle for prolonged periods of time, period. Stuck in traffic behind a major accident? Turn it off. Idling to keep the battery charged due to using the radio in a drive in? Lol. Way back in my first car I had 3 amps running subs and separate component speakers and I could run it for 3 hours engine off with the volume at 3/4 and it would start no problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 09:22 AM   #25
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
maybe im just impatient but I had to basically destroy the cap to get it off.
Impatient. Pad a small metal trim pry-bar and leverage it off. There is very little real-estate from which to lever off but it can be done with prybar sideways rested along the circumference at 4 o'clock and comes off rather easily. You just need to play with it.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 02:46 PM   #26
WrxToBeamerGuy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
Impatient. Pad a small metal trim pry-bar and leverage it off. There is very little real-estate from which to lever off but it can be done with prybar sideways rested along the circumference at 4 o'clock and comes off rather easily. You just need to play with it.
Good to know. You cannot buy the cap itself so the entire valve cover is coming off and being replaced by myself and a friend.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 03:20 PM   #27
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Good to know. You cannot buy the cap itself so the entire valve cover is coming off and being replaced by myself and a friend.
Expensive way to replace a pcv cap.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 03:22 PM   #28
WrxToBeamerGuy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
Expensive way to replace a pcv cap.
Sure is, that being said I feel better about renewing all of the gaskets as well. I searched for hours trying to find the cap but its not sold.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 02:36 AM   #29
alpinweiss340
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by luca10 View Post
So first thing I would do is get rid of the Vargas one way crankcase breather. They have great products, I even run their GC turbo, but I heard many stories of breather causing white smoke out the exhaust, don't know the exact science behind the reasoning but no good. I even had the same smoke issue happen right after my install of the same breather and I just put my oil cap back on, was fine.

Second thing, regarding excessive fuel smell and white smoke out the exhaust, that could possibly be an injector. 2 weeks ago, one of my injectors got stuck open somehow. Car had really rough idle out of nowhere and had fuel coming out the exhaust with smoke due to the fuel flooding the cylinder head. As soon as I pulled plug #4 I smelled fuel and realized it was the injector. So I replaced the injector, of course did an oil change and all was good.

So I'd have them check for plugs/coils and injectors. And I'd also get an oil change if that's one of the problems, because if fuel got into your cylinder head, it will cause the oil to lower its viscosity (become thin) and it can cause scoring in the cylinders and engine internal issues.

Hope it all goes well, keep us updated
THIS! I bought the breather the first week when it came out from Vargas.
First time installing it, drove it around the block, started heavily billowing white smoke from the exhaust, smelled like oil. Good thing I was super close to my house. I took off the breather, emailed Vargas, returned it, they sent me a new one. The new one came with two metal rings on the bottom end? Instead of one.

I didn’t bother installing it for a month or so.
Then I installed it. Drove it around the block and same thing. I sent videos to Vargas explaining my problem. Here’s the response email I got.

After that I just put the factory one back on and have the Vargas breather in a box in the garage. No problems with the factory one so far (and yea I tired their solutions, just didn’t work out for me)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 09:51 PM   #30
luca10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinweiss340 View Post
Quote:
So first thing I would do is get rid of the Vargas one way crankcase breather. They have great products, I even run their GC turbo, but I heard many stories of breather causing white smoke out the exhaust, don't know the exact science behind the reasoning but no good. I even had the same smoke issue happen right after my install of the same breather and I just put my oil cap back on, was fine.

Second thing, regarding excessive fuel smell and white smoke out the exhaust, that could possibly be an injector. 2 weeks ago, one of my injectors got stuck open somehow. Car had really rough idle out of nowhere and had fuel coming out the exhaust with smoke due to the fuel flooding the cylinder head. As soon as I pulled plug #4 I smelled fuel and realized it was the injector. So I replaced the injector, of course did an oil change and all was good.

So I'd have them check for plugs/coils and injectors. And I'd also get an oil change if that's one of the problems, because if fuel got into your cylinder head, it will cause the oil to lower its viscosity (become thin) and it can cause scoring in the cylinders and engine internal issues.

Hope it all goes well, keep us updated
THIS! I bought the breather the first week when it came out from Vargas.
First time installing it, drove it around the block, started heavily billowing white smoke from the exhaust, smelled like oil. Good thing I was super close to my house. I took off the breather, emailed Vargas, returned it, they sent me a new one. The new one came with two metal rings on the bottom end? Instead of one.

I didn't bother installing it for a month or so.
Then I installed it. Drove it around the block and same thing. I sent videos to Vargas explaining my problem. Here's the response email I got.

After that I just put the factory one back on and have the Vargas breather in a box in the garage. No problems with the factory one so far (and yea I tired their solutions, just didn't work out for me)
Yep, I don't know exactly what the problem is, I just heard many people say do a complete pcv upgrade or none at all. Same thing happened though, drove for a mile, smelled oil burning, white smoke out the exhaust. Switched back to stock cap and all was good
      05-13-2021, 09:32 AM   #31
WrxToBeamerGuy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yep, I don't know exactly what the problem is, I just heard many people say do a complete pcv upgrade or none at all. Same thing happened though, drove for a mile, smelled oil burning, white smoke out the exhaust. Switched back to stock cap and all was good
Exactly this!

Here is my email response from vargas

"This would have ZERO to do with that. It's nothing but a breather. When the engine is at anything other than boost its functions like an oil cap, when its under boost it vents. It does nothing else at all. We have these on 1000's of late model BMW's. Including a brand new G80 M3, and a 2017 340IX that are both shop cars with no issues.

With that said parts that are installed, and used can be returned for a 50% store credit only"

50 percent store credit lol....
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 01:30 PM   #32
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Walrus View Post
I have yet to hear a reason for idling for so long. Gas engines aren't meant to idle for prolonged periods of time, period. Stuck in traffic behind a major accident? Turn it off. Idling to keep the battery charged due to using the radio in a drive in? Lol. Way back in my first car I had 3 amps running subs and separate component speakers and I could run it for 3 hours engine off with the volume at 3/4 and it would start no problem.
Literally nothing you're saying is a valid reason for this failure mode. But that's fine. You're in ontario. If you ever get stranded in January waiting for a tow truck, just turn off your car. Your batteries will keep you warm.

Reminds me of that guy who's F250 developed a death wobble above 65mph, and the dealer claimed speed limits are 65 so they "just shouldn't go that fast in a truck."
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 1
G.Newt809.00
      05-14-2021, 01:40 PM   #33
Th3Walrus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC Alpine White/Sahkir

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
Literally nothing you're saying is a valid reason for this failure mode. But that's fine. You're in ontario. If you ever get stranded in January waiting for a tow truck, just turn off your car. Your batteries will keep you warm.

Reminds me of that guy who's F250 developed a death wobble above 65mph, and the dealer claimed speed limits are 65 so they "just shouldn't go that fast in a truck."
Nah, I'd be fine. I'd just make a quick igloo to keep warm, that's what y'all think we live in right?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 08:18 PM   #34
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post

The mental gymnastics people will go through to say we can't idle our car for 30 mins or so, but a 1985 Chevy Cavalier can do it no problem. I've spent that much time brushing a ton of snow off my car and letting it idle in the meantime.

I see it as an engineering flaw. I don't see too many people defending N55's chargepipe problems. "Just stay out of boost and your chargepipe won't break. Why are you accelerating that fast anyway?"
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 08:41 AM   #35
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
The mental gymnastics people will go through to say we can't idle our car for 30 mins or so, but a 1985 Chevy Cavalier can do it no problem. I've spent that much time brushing a ton of snow off my car and letting it idle in the meantime.

I see it as an engineering flaw. I don't see too many people defending N55's chargepipe problems. "Just stay out of boost and your chargepipe won't break. Why are you accelerating that fast anyway?"
Yeah makes no sense. When a mosquito punctures his radiator and he's stuck on the highway waiting on AAA, he'll figure it out.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 11:09 PM   #36
340luv
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 bmw 340i

Garage List
2018 BMW 340I  [0.00]
Unhappy I need help

My 2018 BMW 340I started misfiring, cutting fuel to cylinder 3 and 6, and was also smoking XTREMELY bad. I was doing a log for my turner and mid pull my car started cutting boost and fuel and also started smoking heavily. when I pulled off to check the car out, I noticed an extreme amount of oil on the PCV cap. But I checked the gasket for any tears, and it seemed to look fine. The PCV cap also sealed properly. My car threw a CEL and Drivetrain Malfunction code, the codes are 120408, 140001, 140002, 140010, 140310, 140601, 140602, and 140610. my turner said its most likely the PCV but seeing that it all looks fine I'm at a standstill. Anything helps. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 07:31 AM   #37
enemigo13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 LCI 440xi citrineblack

1. how much boost you was running?
2. is your valve cover is OEM bmw?

most likely your valve cover has failed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340luv View Post
My 2018 BMW 340I started misfiring, cutting fuel to cylinder 3 and 6, and was also smoking XTREMELY bad. I was doing a log for my turner and mid pull my car started cutting boost and fuel and also started smoking heavily. when I pulled off to check the car out, I noticed an extreme amount of oil on the PCV cap. But I checked the gasket for any tears, and it seemed to look fine. The PCV cap also sealed properly. My car threw a CEL and Drivetrain Malfunction code, the codes are 120408, 140001, 140002, 140010, 140310, 140601, 140602, and 140610. my turner said its most likely the PCV but seeing that it all looks fine I'm at a standstill. Anything helps. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 08:05 AM   #38
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340luv View Post
I noticed an extreme amount of oil on the PCV cap.
Can you clarify the above? What do you mean by "on the PCV cap"? You had to open it to check I guess?