F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > B48 Stage 1 Reliability
Studio RSR

02-03-2021, 02:52 PM   #1
Axetivo
Rep
Drives: 120i B48

B48 Stage 1 Reliability

Hi
Recently, I got my hands on a 20i b48 engined car (b48b20a) 181hp and was wondering about reliability on a stage 1 tune. From what I've seen online these can be taken to around 280bhp... I've done my research and found few instances of b48 being blown up even on a stage 1 tune. I was looking at a bm3/mg flasher tune first, but then went more towards a custom tune somewhere local from people that know what they are doing. I've seen around 3 instances of the 'A' revision engine blowing pistons on '91 ACN' map with bootmod and 1 with a custom tune. What is causing these engines to blow, bad fuel,bad map,bad oil ?
I've asked few international companies about B48 problems but they hardly know any that blow up but within few months I've seen few B48 blowing pistons mostly on bm3.

What is your opinion on tuning this engine?

For UK users... Anyone came across tuning company named dervtech? From what I can see they are popular in tuning B48s. They told me they've only seen b48b20a's blow up once around 320bhp due to weaker pistons and higher compression ratio which leads me to believe that all these stage 1 tunes from bm3 are just plain bad?

Thanks
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2021, 04:31 PM   #2
BrysonDM
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 328I Xdrive MSport

You do realize that your comparing an OTS map vs a Custom. Worried about blowing it up? don't tune it, leave it how it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axetivo View Post
Hi
Recently, I got my hands on a 20i b48 engined car (b48b20a) 181hp and was wondering about reliability on a stage 1 tune. From what I've seen online these can be taken to around 280bhp... I've done my research and found few instances of b48 being blown up even on a stage 1 tune. I was looking at a bm3/mg flasher tune first, but then went more towards a custom tune somewhere local from people that know what they are doing. I've seen around 3 instances of the 'A' revision engine blowing pistons on '91 ACN' map with bootmod and 1 with a custom tune. What is causing these engines to blow, bad fuel,bad map,bad oil ?
I've asked few international companies about B48 problems but they hardly know any that blow up but within few months I've seen few B48 blowing pistons mostly on bm3.

For UK users... Anyone came across tuning company named dervtech? From what I can see they are popular in tuning B48s. They told me they've only seen b48b20a's blow up once around 320bhp due to weaker pistons and higher compression ratio which leads me to believe that all these stage 1 tunes from bm3 are just plain bad?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 12:27 AM   #3
tpoddar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i B48

Quote:
Hi

Thanks
This engine can blow on any tune, custom or OTS doesn't matter if good quality high octane fuel isn't used. I have been running my car on the 91ACN map for about 15k kms and things have been perfect, this is because I have logged the car to make sure that I don't have knock and detonation issues. Keep in mind that I run 99RON fuel on the 91ACN because the fuel in my country isn't of the desired quality. Some people on the other hand install the 91ACN map and assume that they can run whatever fuel they have available without logging to check if the car is okay and then run into issues. If you use high octane fuel then this engine is absolutely safe for stage 1.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2021, 03:54 AM   #4
Freddie_Rome
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw F20 120i

I got mgflasher stage 2 with 320hp and 445nm (95ron). No issues
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2021, 09:44 AM   #5
radicalrev
Private
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: F30 320i B48

Quote:
Hi

Thanks
Wondering where you get the info of the few B48 blowing up with bm3, could you share them since I am also in the midst of tuning the car.
      02-04-2021, 09:45 AM   #6
Rockinryan2424
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30 328xi m sport

As long as you use good gas she will be fine I run a 91 tune on 93 octane whatever Ron that is 99? Idk not European but should be alright.
      02-04-2021, 12:24 PM   #7
Axetivo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalrev View Post
Wondering where you get the info of the few B48 blowing up with bm3, could you share them since I am also in the midst of tuning the car.
On 'b48 enthusiasts' page on FB, 2 guys blew pistons on 91ACN and other one on a custom map I think.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 12:25 PM   #8
Axetivo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrysonDM View Post
You do realize that your comparing an OTS map vs a Custom. Worried about blowing it up? don't tune it, leave it how it is.
Whats wrong with comparing when theyre literally same price... Custom or not, something must be taken into consideration when tuning these cars, and from what I've gathered its good oil and fuel.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2021, 06:53 PM   #9
Luverse
First Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

i think i got B48B20A engine (not sure how to check it), and i've been running on Stage 2 91oct (AGG) BM3 for 1 years and 10k km, no issue so far.

Using BMW 5w-30 oil, and fuel up using 93oct without any octane booster.

datalog often, and see how your car are doing. My datalog seems okay, and no knock detected.