F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Share your BimmerTech PP82DSP Amp Tune Files **Updated 01/15/18
Extreme Powerhouse

12-04-2018, 05:16 PM   #287
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
Have you adjusted the input sensitivity (gain) on the amp?
No I did not. Is this common practice to do this first?

Last edited by fiveohwblow; 12-04-2018 at 05:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 06:19 PM   #288
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
Quote:
Have you adjusted the input sensitivity (gain) on the amp?
No I did not. Is this common practice to do this first?
Yes....see P.16-17 of attached PDF
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BA_PP-86DSP.pdf (1.21 MB, 799 views)

Last edited by Wgosma; 12-04-2018 at 07:10 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2018, 09:56 PM   #289
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Makes sense, thank you! I will tweak it slowly to see if it will provide what I’m looking for.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 10:06 PM   #290
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Makes sense, thank you! I will tweak it slowly to see if it will provide what I’m looking for.
Try turning volume control on head unit to about 75% of max volume, then adjust the amps gain until you begin to detect slight distortion- back off gain tad bit- done.
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2018, 11:08 PM   #291
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Try turning volume control on head unit to about 75% of max volume, then adjust the amps gain until you begin to detect slight distortion- back off gain tad bit- done.
Well that couldn’t have been any more disappointing. Disassembled my entire trunk again only to discover the gain was already set to max. To tuning I go again.

Anyone know if foveon’s tune will work well in the f30? Also, is the software just windows compatible, or can I use my Mac?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 12:09 AM   #292
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I think you're stuck with Windows to run the software.

Not to be a downer but in my limited experience tuning the older 82DSP unit I found no major volume increases by tweaking gain on individual channels- you'll get some noticeable increase by doing so but it's not huge, kind of more like 'fine tuning' at the channel level to precisely dial in balance between speakers.

Certain the amps gain is Max and not Min position? Just double checking.
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2018, 08:51 AM   #293
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Not to be a downer but in my limited experience tuning the older 82DSP unit I found no major volume increases by tweaking gain on individual channels- you'll get some noticeable increase by doing so but it's not huge, kind of more like 'fine tuning' at the channel level to precisely dial in balance between speakers.

I appreciate it, I hope I can see the differences necessary by fine tuning. This is the newest model, but I am not certain that will have any implications on performance. Many here seem to be thrilled based on loading profiles or tunes. I just did plug and play and have to believe based on my music criteria one has to be more suitable.

Yes, I left a song playing and double checked my theory by adjusting min to max. It was indeed all the way up. I had to look like a kid at Christmas who Santa Claus forgot

Now to find one of these crummy windows machines.... or to reengage parallels.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 08:56 AM   #294
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I appreciate it, I hope I can see the differences necessary by fine tuning. This is the newest model, but I am not certain that will have any implications on performance. Many here seem to be thrilled based on loading profiles or tunes. I just did plug and play and have to believe based on my music criteria one has to be more suitable.

Yes, I left a song playing and double checked my theory by adjusting min to max. It was indeed all the way up. I had to look like a kid at Christmas who Santa Claus forgot
Getting the PC connected so you can properly set the speakers time delays helps a lot: not on overall volume but on getting the front 'sound stage' presenting properly- really helps the overall sound quality.
Good luck
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 09:29 AM   #295
devil84
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30

Will I be able to use these tune files for the bmw 7up amp.

're tuning, would you say getting a Mic to tune would get sufficient results or it is best to go to a tuner so they what the are doing.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 09:52 AM   #296
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

devil84:
I've been tuning by ear and have gotten some pretty pleasing results. This is the older 82DSP amplifier using a 'tune' file provided by B-Tech tailored for my X3 SUV.

I would recommend you get a 'stock' tune designed for your car and play with the tuning software yourself first before considering purchasing a calibrated microphone and using the RTA. The mic will run you near U.S. $100; I would think an audio shop would cost 2X or more than that to have them do the tuning.

There are pluses to doing your own tuning as opposed to having another person do it: we all have our personal preferences on type of music and how we like the music to sound - by tuning yourself you can quite easily play with various settings and listen for a few days and then make additional tweaks to refine the system to your specific taste.

As I recall Audiotech-Fischer has several stock tunes available for download.

Use quality source material, CD or uncompressed digital files via AUX input -

Good luck/Bill
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 10:37 AM   #297
devil84
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi Bill thanks for reply above. Did you attach a file?

On phone so please excuse brevity of message
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 10:40 AM   #298
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
Hi Bill thanks for reply above. Did you attach a file?

On phone so please excuse brevity of message
No. take a look here https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/matc...ase/soundIndex
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 12:13 PM   #299
devil84
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi guys

Is it worth changing the centre dash speakeR? Is it just a 4inch coaxial that you would put in the rears?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 10:30 AM   #300
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej@BimmerTech View Post
I'll chime in. Usually there is still quite a bit of room for increasing the output of our amp. The power is available on tap.

The quickest way to increase the output further (if the physical gain knob on the PP86 amp is already all the way up) is go to the IO tab in the DSP Tool when connected to the amp via the USB cable and increase the overall output gain from the default 0dB to something less conservative like +3dB or +6dB.

It would be recommended to increase the gain while playing music making sure that you're not "clipping" the signal - as indicated by the signal bar changing color from blue to red if I recall correctly.

As Wgosma mentioned a rule of thumb to not exceed 75% volume on the iDrive slider is generally good as the simpler and older BMW head units can distort at that level which can negatively affect the signal at our amps input. Don't sweat it though - if you can't hear audible distortion - you're most likely fine here. I will say that the preferred input source in iDrive would be USB either from a stick or phone. With iPhones use the original Apple white cable - aftermarket ones oddly enough can introduce distortion (don't know how but I made it happen myself).

Please keep the EQ in iDrive flat - that gives our amp the cleanest possible signal to work with - you have all the DSP that you'll ever need in our amp via the dsp tool and since the DSP is much better in our amp than in iDrive making adjustments should be done there.

The GIGO principle applies to the quality of audio very much.
If someone listens to high dynamic range classical music recordings they will be able to bump up the gain quite a bit safely.
On the other hand if someone listens to badly mixed unreleased <insert random new style music genre here> mixtapes that have the bass lines clipped and compressed to the max - I'd recommend forgetting the gain adjustment even exists as amplifying clipped signals leads to an unfulfilling listening experience.

What I'm intending to say - if anyone will try adjusting the gain setting - please do not overdo it - 6dB of additional gain is roughly twice as loud so I think it will be a good ceiling to what is reasonable.
Brilliant THANK YOU! I have minimized the loss by utilizing the USB and an OEM iPhone cable so that part is on point. I will locate a windows computer and select maybe 2 or 3 db gain and leave the rest alone for now. Overall it sounds great, but listening to all genre's save for nashville emo I find some are under engineered from a sound perspective and leave a bit to be desired. I would rather have that control on the knob.

You have been a great help, as has Wsogma!
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2018, 09:32 AM   #301
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep

Maciej@BimmerTech that did the trick, thank you. Went with a modest 3db gain adjustment to start and found it quite nice. No distortion on a cacophony of musical interests at maximum volume ranging from Metallica to Avicii. Also used phone app to measure dB and saw peaks over 100, although I don't make a habit of listening that loud. I may try a different profile shortly just to experiment, but I am much happier with the Bimmertec Amp now.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2019, 06:45 PM   #302
djtuner13
Rep
Drives: F30 Sport 328i

Hey Guys!
Just did my install of front Alpha One woofers and tweeters, a center channel woofer, and 2 alpha one subs. I also installed a bimmertech pp82dsp amp. Sounds pretty good but still getting used to the sounds, it doesn't sound quite right. Is there anyone who has attempted this sound profile? If not any recommendations to start from?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 02:36 AM   #303
Dick1971
Rep
Drives: F30

Hi
Newbie here... been using Foveon tune with F30 330e and Match 7BMW,hifi B&W speakers.. Nice tune..Thank you guyss..
Soon adding trunk sub..hopefully easy DSP setup without losing Foveon tune..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 11:57 PM   #304
Chromeo
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 328i M-Sport

Garage List
Hey guys, just out of curiosity does any one have a tune for the following set up:

Bavsound:
Dash centre mid with tweeter
Rear doors mid with tweeter
Ghost Subs x2

Bimmertech:
Front door speakers and tweeters
Coupled with the Bimmertech amp.

Why such a weird (mix) set up, you ask? Well I came across someone selling their Bavsound speakers and the amp initially purchased for an X5. They had purchased the wrong set and it sat in their garage new and unused. I took a gamble on the lot and though most parts fit, the front door mids don't. Further contact with Bavsound said they don't sell the parts individually so I went ahead and purchased the Bimmertech front door set. Now left with a spare set of tweeters, I'm thinking to drill the holes and add them to the rear doors. At the end of it all I will have left are 2 mid Bavsound speakers unused.

Thoughts, anyone?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 08:41 AM   #305
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

You might do well to get the stock tune file for your car from BimmerTech and then do some tweaking with Audiotech Fisher software- I did this in my F25 X3, tuning by ear, and was able to achieve good improvement, pleasing results.

The AF software is fairly straightforward to use, takes bit of listening/tuning but not difficult to make some clear improvements to suit your ears.
Good luck/Bill
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 11:54 AM   #306
LongRuf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 328d

Hi all! Installed a Bimmer-Tech amp I bought off the classifieds section and tuned it. I'm running the PP86 and everything else is stock in a hi-fi F31 wagon.

Hope to upgrade the woofers next and then a full speaker replacement.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW-CustomTune - Copy.afpx.pdf (2.5 KB, 257 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 03:07 AM   #307
Chromeo
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 328i M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRuf View Post
Hi all! Installed a Bimmer-Tech amp I bought off the classifieds section and tuned it. I'm running the PP86 and everything else is stock in a hi-fi F31 wagon.

There's been some talk on the forum about how the stock speakers in hifi config are good enough. So perhaps scrutinise the amp tuning and see if you get sufficient results before spending aftermarket speakers.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 06:50 PM   #308
roc342
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 328i sport line 2015'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRuf View Post

Worked Perfect in Hifi F34 Setup. Thank you for the share. I added an Alpine self powered sub in the back. I could not be happier. Going to upgraded Tweets later tho
Appreciate 0