F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Avin USA 10.25 Android 7.1 + CarPlay
ARMA SPEED

07-09-2018, 06:50 PM   #1
gusestrella
Rep
Drives: 428i 2015

Avin USA 10.25 Android 7.1 + CarPlay

guys,
So finished installing earlier today a new AVIN USA android 7.1 ( w/ 2 gig memory) unit for my 2015 428i car. It was very easy to install following the guide from "BMW DIY Guy" and his youtube videos. I get the sense all these units from ugode and avin as well as several seen on aliexpress (like the jstmax for example) are all the same manufacturer.

Only items of note on install from the instructions -

1. Taking out the cable from the AC/stereo face plate was impossible for me. So I left it connected and just tied it to the dashboard on the side.

2. The headunit on my system is half the size from his video, and leaves a significant space on the lower end of the area. So when came time to put the cables in, was fairly easy to do.

The standard configuration instructions from Avin did the trick to set the time and also change the backup camera to be the OEM one. Did not have to touch the car type or anything else (password on this system is the 1314 one).

For carplay, followed AVIN instructions to install the software (autoplaybox) through a USB card. Once loaded ended up selecting it as the default navigation - so once select navigation from menu - or if click the speaker button on the steering wheel - it opens up.

I also checked the update on the app and new version of the box software as well as the app were then automatically installed. It now has box ver 2018.06.26.1620CAP and software ver of 2018.06.27.1305

I also installed on the system a microphone, which seem to work fine with the android side - but do not appear to be working with Carplay.

So far there are a few items that unclear if these are configuration things or bugs on the system -

1. The idrive wheel works fine on the system (legacy side as well as the android car menus). And if you click goes into a tile, and the right and left work fine. HOWEVER,on car play side, the clicking on idrive to select doesn't work. Buttons like back work, but the select so far just need to be made on the screen

2. If you click the voice button on the steering wheel it does bring up carplay (or the navigatioN). HOWEVER, it also ask you what you want. Basically the old functionality still there. I am unsure how to disable so for time being I just hit that button twice and the second one seem to cancel the car OEM functionality.

3. For Siri and speaking, unclear how this done. If the phone is around can see Siri picks up the voice from the cell phone speaking. So doesnot seem to be using microphone. ALSO, then for telephone calls unsure how this done (should I leave the car bluetooth on ? should I disable it and then the new system microphone picks it up ?)

--------------

So far in term of impression all great and very happy with the purchase. The build seem very good for this product. the screen is very vivid and clear. The sound quality do not see any difference from the car speaker / radio (did not have to install the aux cable - just moving the optical cables seem to work). The speed of the refresh on carplay good, and using Spotify or a podcats app; and the navigation was all fine.

My only wish so far would be to be able to edit the tiles in use and just eliminate none fo the ones that can't see using at all (ex. movie or dvr). Also, going by default to Carplay when it start would be good versus any other app.

Will update as the week progresses and see the stability of solution in terms of crashing or issues.

Regards, gus
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 12:34 AM   #2
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G21 330e MSport Individual

Why not post your experience in this topic?: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1374452
Its still a 10.25 avin screen. (From China with an American postbox)
Would also really like to change the home screens!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 02:43 AM   #3
mike78
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d M-Sport (2013)

Hi gusestrella,

I also have the usb carplay and screen but from ugode and I am experiencing frequent disconnects during apple maps navigation. I have iphone 6s with ios11.4. Can you test carplay with navigation and let us know if you are experiencing similar problems. I noticed that we have exactly the same software version (carplay adapter).

Are you able to select apps by pushing idrive knob ?

Regards,
Mike

Last edited by mike78; 07-10-2018 at 02:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 03:14 AM   #4
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike78 View Post
Hi gusestrella,
Regards,
Mike
This is not possible in the software I believe.
Also in main menu, you can scroll to apps, select it and scroll there as well. selecting an app with puching the knob doesnt work however..
Its weird but I had it both with Avin as well as the Ugode....
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 03:17 AM   #5
mike78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

What do you mean you had them both with Ugode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRuw View Post
This is not possible in the software I believe.
Also in main menu, you can scroll to apps, select it and scroll there as well. selecting an app with puching the knob doesnt work however..
Its weird but I had it both with Avin as well as the Ugode....
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 05:49 AM   #6
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

No, I als also had an avi before nu correct ugode
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 09:06 AM   #7
gusestrella
Rep

Quote:
Why not post your experience in this topic?: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1374452
Its still a 10.25 avin screen. (From China with an American postbox)
Would also really like to change the home screens!
I have seen the other post but not clear if differences there. As I am more interested on the Carplay side though would be of benefit to have as a standalone.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 09:13 AM   #8
gusestrella
Rep

Quote:
Hi gusestrella,

I also have the usb carplay and screen but from ugode and I am experiencing frequent disconnects during apple maps navigation. I have iphone 6s with ios11.4. Can you test carplay with navigation and let us know if you are experiencing similar problems. I noticed that we have exactly the same software version (carplay adapter).
I have used just 24 hours so will keep and eye and report. So far zero disconnects - drove with apple map for 30 minuets yesterday (hot too 90+ degrees ) and zero issues. Today used apple map and a podcast app (Castro) for 50 minute commute and no issues. started with just showing map - midway set my destination and had it guide me there., I also did use the interfaces on podcast to move around and all fine.

Will keep and eye and report and drops or odd behavior.

Quote:
Hi gusestrella,
Nope - this is disappointing to me. I would expect that it will be fix with future update.

Do you use the telephony function ? or Siri ? If so curious how you set up the microphone as I still not sure how that works.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 09:19 AM   #9
mike78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I am using the BMW OEM Bluetooth only. So when I make a call through mobile device or answer a call through steering wheel controls, carplay changes to "call view". Also, in apple maps when speaking instead of typing the address it works. I believe its using the BMW OEM microphone because its already bluetooth paired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusestrella View Post
I have used just 24 hours so will keep and eye and report. So far zero disconnects - drove with apple map for 30 minuets yesterday (hot too 90+ degrees ) and zero issues. Today used apple map and a podcast app (Castro) for 50 minute commute and no issues. started with just showing map - midway set my destination and had it guide me there., I also did use the interfaces on podcast to move around and all fine.

Will keep and eye and report and drops or odd behavior.

Nope - this is disappointing to me. I would expect that it will be fix with future update.

Do you use the telephony function ? or Siri ? If so curious how you set up the microphone as I still not sure how that works.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 08:59 PM   #10
gusestrella
Rep

Quote:
Hi gusestrella,

So after a solid week of use both in the day to work and back - around 1 hour each way - plus 2 drives also of about 1 hour each. On all these used just car play with the podcast app on (named Castro) OR Spotify on - as well as navigation on apple maps with a given destination - and on three occasion did also a phone call too (did the OEM set up like you noted and works good). All the time worked like a champ and zero issues. No crash or odd behavior at all.

Even though I got phone to work on bluetooth for call, Siri doesnot seem to use the bluetooth menu. Tries to get it seem from the phone mic instead ? But to me this is not a deal breaker and love the large screen and so on.

At this stage will await to get the click on the idrive dial to work - and once that set I am good.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 01:51 AM   #11
mike78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hi gusestrella, can you post a photo of device, app version and box version please? because I am experiencing very frequent disconnects. Do you use the apple cable to connect the iphone to the carplay adapter or a shorter one?

Quote:
So after a solid week of use both in the day to work and back - around 1 hour each way - plus 2 drives also of about 1 hour each. On all these used just car play with the podcast app on (named Castro) OR Spotify on - as well as navigation on apple maps with a given destination - and on three occasion did also a phone call too (did the OEM set up like you noted and works good). All the time worked like a champ and zero issues. No crash or odd behavior at all.

Even though I got phone to work on bluetooth for call, Siri doesnot seem to use the bluetooth menu. Tries to get it seem from the phone mic instead ? But to me this is not a deal breaker and love the large screen and so on.

At this stage will await to get the click on the idrive dial to work - and once that set I am good.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 04:14 AM   #12
Bosley
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116d 2.0

Quote:
guys,

1. The idrive wheel works fine on the system (legacy side as well as the android car menus). And if you click goes into a tile, and the right and left work fine. HOWEVER,on car play side, the clicking on idrive to select doesn't work. Buttons like back work, but the select so far just need to be made on the screen

Hi, I got the same issue! I really can't figure out how to fix it. What's driving me crazy is this video:

As you can see at 2:17 they open an app clicking on the idrive!
So THERE IS the possibility to do so, but I can't understand how
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 08:48 AM   #13
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

I think this can be a trick.
The only thing he does is the navigation and that one is alsof activated by the idrive button navi.
All other press commands are done on the screen.
He scrolls to youtube and then presses with his finger..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 09:31 AM   #14
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

How is the Google map experience with this unit?
I would be very surprised if the hardware is different to other units but google doesnt play nice with it for some reason...
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 09:34 AM   #15
Bosley
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116d 2.0

Quote:
I think this can be a trick.
The only thing he does is the navigation and that one is alsof activated by the idrive button navi.
All other press commands are done on the screen.
He scrolls to youtube and then presses with his finger..
I don't think the Apple Maps can be activated by the idrive button navi (at least i was not able to do that)..
I really hope that in the future there will be an update to solve this issue.. It's really annoying, considering that I bought this system mainly for the CarPlay!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 09:36 AM   #16
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Were now posting the same as on the ugode topic...
Please lets discuss there to keep info centralized.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 03:20 PM   #17
brikabrak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

My Avin unit is working great with the Amazon sourced CarPlay adapter.

iDrive button and everything works great.

See here...

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1526657
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 06:35 PM   #18
AK_Wes
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X28i

I have one of these units in my X1.

Any idea how we know when to update these units? Does Avin have a site with update files to download or do we have to request updates every so often???

If anyone has some more information it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Wes
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 05:29 PM   #19
Rcase
AW M Addict
Rep
Drives: BMW Collector

Bumping this up as my wifes E70 CIC Avin is absolutely terrible. I am hoping a software update (latest and greatest stable release) will help.

If you can reach out i would appreciate it. I have sent Avin multiple emails.

Thanks!
2010 Alpine White X5M || All 3 Pedals Sans X5M
alpinewhitem.com //coming soon
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 11:45 AM   #20
jskolnik
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 750i

So I have installed an AVIN with the Qualcomm 4G chipset and I am very satisfied with it after quite a bit of getting used to how to configure it.

If people are truly interested I can expand on the subject but here are my key thoughts:

- The unit has it's own 4G sim card and runs on its own. Critical.
- I do not use it for my phone. Still use the Car integration.
- I have not registered my phone with the Avin in any way.
- I had a lot of issues with the keyboard but finally figured out how to install the Google key board and switch the defaults. I no longer see any Chinese characters.
- I installed an after market launcher. No more going through the AVIN home screen!
- I set the double tap to bring up the 'AVIN' home screen and seldom use it anymore. At first when I installed the new launcher I thought I might no be able to get back to it but I figured it out. Its one of the apps.
- I use the music player in the AVIN, not my phone, and while it is slightly lower sound quality I am satisfied.
- I set the audio switching to manual.
- I set the F5 function button on my BMW to switch to AUX input to make getting to the AVIN audio easier.

My results are this:
- Google maps and Waze works great. This is the main reason I bought the unit.
- Music player is fine
- Using the 4G version and sim card is best as no fooling with the phone ever!
- Phone USB is no good
- Android auto is a joke
- Android mirroring is no good
- Must install keyboard and new launcher
- I don't use the bluetooth at all in the AVIN. No need, left phone on CAR. Integrates and switches back and forth just fine with the AVIN aux audio.

All in all I am completely satisfied but it took quite a bit of time to get it the way I wanted it.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 01:04 PM   #21
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Garage List
How did you connect the micro sim in it? Where did you get the nano sim to micro sim adapter. Did you just get a sim card from your mobile carrier? Was it east to get the sim in there? I just installed this as well. How is it functioning with your idrive? Mine works bit sometimes when I turn the wheel it doesn't??? Is your like this?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 03:36 PM   #22
jskolnik
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 750i

So the AVIN model I bought has the 4G Qualcomm chip set. These are the only versions that you can install the Sim card in. I got the SIM car from my Carrier (T-Mobile - They charge $10/mo for a data only sim card). If you did not buy the 4G version I would return and get that one. The sim card is installed in different places depending on the model. See the link below:

https://support.avinusa.com/hc/en-us...d7c78ed239faf#

It took me a while to figure this out and then install in the proper direction.

You can use the WIFI from your phone but I just wanted the AVIN to be completely self sufficient. I look at the AVIN as you would an Android 4G tablet it just happens to be stuck in the dash board.

As far as functionality, the 'wheel' really ony works for the iDrive and normal BMW interface. I have not see the wheel work with the AVIN android interface. I never really use the AVIN 'Home' screen as I replaced the launcher. I hated that every time I hit the home it took me to AVIN.

There is one oddity I have noticed lately though. When I am using the music player in the AVIN through the AUX if I go to the AVIN home screen and pick the music icon the music gets louder. Now I can make it loud enough without this for most everything I listen to but found that kind of useful lets say.

I will say the support is reasonably prompt but frustrating. I am used to the Chinese method of replying so you just have to be persistent and understand they are Chinese and not american. There are a lot of differences. Best to focus on 1 subject at a time.
Appreciate 0