F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > M suspension or aftermarket set up replacement?
Extreme Powerhouse

12-01-2018, 10:53 PM   #1
FloorThe4
Private
Rep
Drives: 435i xdrive m-sport

M suspension or aftermarket set up replacement?

Hello all,
Interesting predicament that I would love to hear peoples opinions on. So I have an 2015 F32 Xdrive with dynamic handling package (adaptive m sport suspension and variable steering).

Long story short on an 8hr trip home there was an unmarked large "bump" all the way across the highway that was like hitting a speed bump but going 80mph. At the time it seemed to just be out of alignment so I had that taken care of. After some time I began hearing a rattling noise and took it in for a check...they said:

Both front knuckles (bent), struts, and top hats or mounts need replaced
They also said my rims were all bent which is insane. I do not feel any wheel issues while driving so I will most likely ignore that.

Anyways I have about 3k to play with for the suspension and am trying to decide whether to replace with new m suspension or grab aftermarket coilovers. I have put KW V3's on my old e46 and they were great but there doesn't seem to be much comparison to m sport. Any thoughts? Thank you.

Last edited by FloorThe4; 12-02-2018 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 12:11 AM   #2
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

I don't own an F30, I'm here for other reasons...but replacing with M suspension or aftermarket coilovers isn't going to get you new knuckles, have you priced those? And why would you ignore the bent wheels diagnosis?

Not trying to rag on you, just saying that if you do need new knuckles and a pair of wheels, might not be much left of your budget.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 12:16 AM   #3
FloorThe4
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
I don't own an F30, I'm here for other reasons...but replacing with M suspension or aftermarket coilovers isn't going to get you new knuckles, have you priced those? And why would you ignore the bent wheels dignosis?
Knuckles are $300 each, so $600 and I would be installing the coilovers myself if I spend the money on that setup. I would only really address the wheels if they actually were making a difference. I believe they are being dramatic if I have no loss of air and see no bends from the outside plus feel no difference when driving on them. I have a set of BBS RS-GT back home if worse comes to worse.
Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      12-03-2018, 06:51 PM   #4
zinner
Major
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

There is no M perf suspension for X drive. X drive is for people who live in snow not the track.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 08:53 PM   #5
FloorThe4
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
There is no M perf suspension for X drive. X drive is for people who live in snow not the track.
Says on my sticker M suspension .....
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      12-04-2018, 07:43 AM   #6
larrylam646
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorThe4 View Post

Anyways I have about 3k to play with for the suspension and am trying to decide whether to replace with new m suspension or grab aftermarket coilovers. I have put KW V3's on my old e46 and they were great but there doesn't seem to be much comparison to m sport. Any thoughts? Thank you.
My 2014 435iX did not come with adaptive suspension but I am in the process of building a kit to retrofit it into my vehicle. FYI, I am currently running with KW V2s lowered ~ 1". A great setup but as I get older, I find the suspension too stiff for longer trips.

During research for my retrofit, I looked into the available options, OEM/aftermarket and coilovers/strut-shocks-lowering springs.

I found a great deal on ebay for a lightly used set of OEM takeoffs so I am going this route for now. If the retrofit is successful, I do plan on upgrading to aftermarkets but I am currently undecided between adaptive coilovers or adaptive strut/shocks.

For the aftermarket, I found several options:

1) KW DDC - PnP. Lowers ride height by a min of ~ 1.2" F/1.4" R. Price U$3K+

2) Bilstein B4/B6 Damptronics strut/shock - These are OEM PnP replacements. The B6 variant is the performance version. Does not change ride height and you can reuse your current components. I have read the B6 may be difficult to find. Price - B6s <U$2K.

3) Bilstein B16 Damptronics - PnP. Lower ride height by a min of 30mm. Price ~U$3K+. Announced but may not be available yet from Bilstein.

Larry
      12-04-2018, 10:00 AM   #7
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

FloorThe4 M Performance and M Adaptive suspensions are not the same. M Performance is a static suspension with matched springs / shocks and M Adaptive features electronically adjustable shocks with matched (but different) springs. M Adaptive is just a marketing label.

The biggest challenge with any stiffer suspension is lack of shock travel to accommodate compression cycle. Coilovers with individually adjustable compression / rebound controls will enable more precise tuning to achieve desired suspension behavior. These coilovers - like KW V3 - cost more and may not allow to maintain OEM suspension height.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 07:53 PM   #8
FloorThe4
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylam646 View Post
My 2014 435iX did not come with adaptive suspension but I am in the process of building a kit to retrofit it into my vehicle. FYI, I am currently running with KW V2s lowered ~ 1". A great setup but as I get older, I find the suspension too stiff for longer trips.

During research for my retrofit, I looked into the available options, OEM/aftermarket and coilovers/strut-shocks-lowering springs.

I found a great deal on ebay for a lightly used set of OEM takeoffs so I am going this route for now. If the retrofit is successful, I do plan on upgrading to aftermarkets but I am currently undecided between adaptive coilovers or adaptive strut/shocks.

For the aftermarket, I found several options:

1) KW DDC - PnP. Lowers ride height by a min of ~ 1.2" F/1.4" R. Price U$3K+

2) Bilstein B4/B6 Damptronics strut/shock - These are OEM PnP replacements. The B6 variant is the performance version. Does not change ride height and you can reuse your current components. I have read the B6 may be difficult to find. Price - B6s <U$2K.

3) Bilstein B16 Damptronics - PnP. Lower ride height by a min of 30mm. Price ~U$3K+. Announced but may not be available yet from Bilstein.

Larry
Thank you for the input. I definitely do not mind a stiff suspension since I am coming from a KW V3 setup on my other car with hotchkis sways etc. Just trying to figure out if I should just replace mine with the m adaptive or go KW DDC or something similar. Not sure if that would be an upgrade or not. Also reliability isn't too clear yet either on them. I will encounter some winters as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
FloorThe4 M Performance and M Adaptive suspensions are not the same. M Performance is a static suspension with matched springs / shocks and M Adaptive features electronically adjustable shocks with matched (but different) springs. M Adaptive is just a marketing label.

The biggest challenge with any stiffer suspension is lack of shock travel to accommodate compression cycle. Coilovers with individually adjustable compression / rebound controls will enable more precise tuning to achieve desired suspension behavior. These coilovers - like KW V3 - cost more and may not allow to maintain OEM suspension height.
Thank you, I know that M performance and m adaptive suspensions are not the same, that is why I clearly put m adaptive suspension in my OP. Not sure why some were have thought otherwise. Thank you for the input.

Any other thoughts guys?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 11:06 PM   #9
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

My car also didn't come with adaptive suspension but I love my KW V1s. I don't feel like I'm missing anything by not having adaptive suspension. If you've had coilovers before then you know what you're getting into. The car will drive better and look better, that's a win win.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0