F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 340i mppsk 2018 installed
Studio RSR

12-06-2018, 08:07 AM   #1
Ahmed Abdullatif
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i

340i mppsk 2018 installed

Hello everyone, i have installed Mppsk a few days ago and I experienced the following:

- Feel more power specially on the mid range
- when revving on idle in sport mode is awesome bit I realized only one flap is open even in cruising in sport mode

Are the flaps suppose to open in sport mode or only one flap? Is there a difference when it comes to the flaps when cruising or in idle?

Are the flaps should work in parallel or not?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 09:05 AM   #2
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

As Skyhigh stated in response to your question on the MPPSK gunshot thread, if only one valve is open, in any mode, you have a problem. Throttle position should not matter. Time to visit the Dealer.
      12-21-2018, 01:25 PM   #3
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport 6MT+RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed Abdullatif View Post
Hello everyone, i have installed Mppsk a few days ago and I experienced the following:

- when revving on idle in sport mode is awesome bit I realized only one flap is open even in cruising in sport mode

Are the flaps suppose to open in sport mode or only one flap? Is there a difference when it comes to the flaps when cruising or in idle?

This tells me your dealer didn't do the install correctly or one of your valves has an issue which would mean a new kit because, AFAIK, the individual valves cannot be replaced. There is a wire harness which comes with the MPPSK to connect both valves to the stock connector coming from the ECU - this means both valves are supposed to open or close at the same time.
      12-21-2018, 01:36 PM   #4
Ahmed Abdullatif
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterX View Post
Quote:

This tells me your dealer didn't do the install correctly or one of your valves has an issue which would mean a new kit because, AFAIK, the individual valves cannot be replaced. There is a wire harness which comes with the MPPSK to connect both valves to the stock connector coming from the ECU - this means both valves are supposed to open or close at the same time.
I went to the dealer and told me that the other valve need conditions to open, which depends on big pressure/ boost and speed and warm engine something like that.

As they asked the technical support in germany and replied the above.

And ofcourse i cant tell if the other valve opens while cruising or not.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 05:00 PM   #5
Avodka14
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M Sport

I called two dealers that had no clue what this package is. Sounds like dealers are somewhat clueless about installation as well...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 05:45 PM   #6
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Yes, most are. When I went to mine, they were clearly unaware there is a power-increase as well and thought the included SW is only in order to control the flaps.
Later (as they had problems getting the SW from Munich) they started talking about engine tuning (obviously read the installation manual)
      12-21-2018, 08:12 PM   #7
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Yes you have to give them the part number or they will order the wrong part. I got the dealer to price match another dealer.
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2018, 06:59 PM   #8
Avodka14
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M Sport

It is a good idea to also settle on a flat rate for installation as well. As others have stated, you will see some dealers have difficulty installing the tune.

The dealers need to be more aware of their products. I came from a BRZ and Toyota/Subaru is more on top of their performance parts than BMW. At least, considering the few BMW dealerships I have spoke to.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 10:57 AM   #9
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

@Ahmed Abdullatif
I decided to check and what do I see - only the right one opens when stationary and switching to Sport (and giving a bit of throttle)!?!? The left one remained closed at all times during the test. I switched back and forth between Comfort and Sport/Sport+, but the left one never opened.

I am puzzled!

Last edited by Skyhigh; 01-22-2019 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2019, 03:14 PM   #10
Ahmed Abdullatif
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
@Ahmed Abdullatif
I decided to check and what do I see - only the right one opens when stationary and switching to Sport (and giving a bit of throttle)!?!? The left one remained closed at all times during the test. I switched back and forth between Comfort and Sport/Sport+, but the left one never opened.

I am puzzled!
Well maybe i dont have a problem then, the dealer as well told me the other valve opens on heavy pressure and acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 09:18 AM   #11
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Well maybe i dont have a problem then, the dealer as well told me the other valve opens on heavy pressure and acceleration.
Both valves should open as soon as you touch the throttle in sport or sport+ or with more recent code, with DSC off/traction.

If only one is opening, I suspect they haven't used the additional loom that comes in the box to connect the other valve up.
      01-24-2019, 03:44 PM   #12
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I have bad news and good news!

Starting with the bad:
If only one opens at any time - that is as initially thought NOT NORMAL! Both valves are controlled simultaneously. Individual control is just not possible - they get the same electrical signal!
So I now realized I have been driving for several months (if not from the start with MPPSK) with one disabled valve!!

Good news:

I found the reason for the above and it was totally simple - I looked under the car and inspected the wiring connection to the valves. And what did I find by touching the connector of the left valve (which did not open) - the connector was not properly inserted and was sticking out. It was not locked into its receptacle and made no electrical connection!!
I clicked it in and tested again - who would think, both valves opened simultaneously!!
You would not believe the difference in sound!! With only the right valve open, In sport the vehicle was maybe only about 20-25% louder than in Comfort. With both valves open (as it should be) - 100% louder!!
I drove a few short trips today and it was just ridiculous

So I advise you to check the connections and if that doesn't help - go get some help. If one opens, then the problem can only be in the connection of the second (or a defect in the valve itself).
      01-24-2019, 03:54 PM   #13
Ahmed Abdullatif
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have bad news and good news!

Starting with the bad:
If only one opens at any time - that is as initially thought NOT NORMAL! Both valves are controlled simultaneously. Individual control is just not possible - they get the same electrical signal!
So I now realized I have been driving for several months (if not from the start with MPPSK) with one disabled valve!!

Good news:

I found the reason for the above and it was totally simple - I looked under the car and inspected the wiring connection to the valves. And what did I find by touching the connector of the left valve (which did not open) - the connector was not properly inserted and was sticking out. It was not locked into its receptacle and made no electrical connection!!
I clicked it in and tested again - who would think, both valves opened simultaneously!!
You would not believe the difference in sound!! With only the right valve open, In sport the vehicle was maybe only about 20-25% louder than in Comfort. With both valves open (as it should be) - 100% louder!!
I drove a few short trips today and it was just ridiculous

So I advise you to check the connections and if that doesn't help - go get some help. If one opens, then the problem can only be in the connection of the second (or a defect in the valve itself).
Ohhh no i thought i had no problem, and i was relieved when you had same issue.

Can you please show me the wiring for the valve so maybe i can fix it too.

Because i went to the dealer and told its not an issue and i dont know what to do.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 04:08 PM   #14
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

That's why I said I have some bad news for you, but believe me - you are up for a big surprise once you fix it

Just look under the car (no lifting required!) at the passive valve. You will see the electrical connection. Pull the plug and see if it moves. Mine came right off.
It needs to click/lock into the receptacle and should not be coming off by simply pulling it.

If it is correctly in - try to unlock it and inspect it inside. If all looks good there, you will need to go somewhere where they can lift the car and inspect the entire wiring harness.
      01-24-2019, 06:00 PM   #15
Ahmed Abdullatif
Private
Rep

Quote:
That's why I said I have some bad news for you, but believe me - you are up for a big surprise once you fix it

Just look under the car (no lifting required!) at the passive valve. You will see the electrical connection. Pull the plug and see if it moves. Mine came right off.
It needs to click/lock into the receptacle and should not be coming off by simply pulling it.

If it is correctly in - try to unlock it and inspect it inside. If all looks good there, you will need to go somewhere where they can lift the car and inspect the entire wiring harness.
I still didnt go ynder the exhaust but i have no idea or cant see any wires!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 02:56 AM   #16
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

You don't need to go under the exhaust, you just need to get your hands on the valve It is right there, the wiring and plug are on the upper side.
Attached Images

01-25-2019, 06:47 AM   #17
Ahmed Abdullatif
Private
Rep

Quote:
You don't need to go under the exhaust, you just need to get your hands on the valve It is right there, the wiring and plug are on the upper side.
Omg i did what you told me and checked the plug and the plug was inserted but not all the way in and man both vales opened for the first since i got the mppsk and had 2 visits to two different dealers.

There is a difference and i feel it so well especially while cruising 😮.

I owe you man atleast the headache with there is something wrong is gone and i know now the money is well spent.

Thanks alot
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 06:54 AM   #18
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

So same problem it was
Insane!! And the dealers didn't even bother checking!?

Enjoy your "new" car!! )
I am in the same phase )

Out of curiosity - which valve was disconnected in your case - left or right?

Last edited by Skyhigh; 01-25-2019 at 07:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 08:49 AM   #19
Ahmed Abdullatif
Private
Rep

Quote:
So same problem it was
Insane!! And the dealers didn't even bother checking!?

Enjoy your "new" car!! )
I am in the same phase )

Out of curiosity - which valve was disconnected in your case - left or right?
Yes it feels like a new car 👌.

The left valve, did you have the same?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 10:00 AM   #20
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Same. The left was off.
And yes - it sounds and feels like a different car now 😆
      01-25-2019, 05:45 PM   #21
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Dealers are lazier than all hell!
      01-25-2019, 11:14 PM   #22
Nebelhinten
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tanzanite 340i MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreDirtyFive View Post
Dealers are lazier than all hell!
Yup, always easier to just say normal behavior rather than look at a diagram and take a few minutes to make sure things are connected properly. And most have no clue about MPPSK. I had to show them on the BMW website. When I got the car back they had installed the exhaust, but not the tune. The red envelope was left unopened in the glove box.
Appreciate 0