F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > NBT2 Evo / ATM bench coding
Extreme Powerhouse

12-07-2018, 12:51 PM   #1
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
NBT2 Evo / ATM bench coding

Good day!
I'm in the process of gathering parts to upgrade my e series car to NBT2.

I have an NBT2 evo, a touch screen, and an ATM on the way, all used/ebay parts.

I'd like to bench code them so they talk to each other before tearing apart the car.

Has anyone done this? I need to code the NBT with the vin in the ATM if I have any hope of connected drive working, so I'll probably buy an FSC repair kit using the VIN of the ATM... but how can I read out the vin in the ATM? Can e-sys talk to the ATM through the OABR ethernet connection, or will I need to buy a ZGW?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 02:45 AM   #2
Vortex8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW GT 328xi

I'd like to know if the bench coding is possible also for NBT ID4. It could really help to pre-code the stuf...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 07:07 PM   #3
Jhnblckwood
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 2014 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilord View Post
Good day!
I'm in the process of gathering parts to upgrade my e series car to NBT2.

I have an NBT2 evo, a touch screen, and an ATM on the way, all used/ebay parts.

I'd like to bench code them so they talk to each other before tearing apart the car.

Has anyone done this? I need to code the NBT with the vin in the ATM if I have any hope of connected drive working, so I'll probably buy an FSC repair kit using the VIN of the ATM... but how can I read out the vin in the ATM? Can e-sys talk to the ATM through the OABR ethernet connection, or will I need to buy a ZGW?

Thanks in advance!
Any info on this? I kno u can read the vin from tcb, there is a folder named vin n it's written in hex but idk if atm is the same file structure. Did u install the atm? U can try injecting the cafd, read coding data and see if there is a folder named vin. Don't code it first or vin would b over written in guessing. Lmk how u made out please as I am about to order an atm n the person doesn't kno the vin. If I can't figure out the original vin then there's no point of me buyin that one.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 01:41 AM   #4
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhnblckwood View Post
Any info on this? I kno u can read the vin from tcb, there is a folder named vin n it's written in hex but idk if atm is the same file structure. Did u install the atm? U can try injecting the cafd, read coding data and see if there is a folder named vin. Don't code it first or vin would b over written in guessing. Lmk how u made out please as I am about to order an atm n the person doesn't kno the vin. If I can't figure out the original vin then there's no point of me buyin that one.
Everything I've been told says that it isn't possible to read out the VIN from the ATM.
I don't have an F car and don't have a ZGW, so experimentation is difficult. I ended up buying an ATM from a local yard with a known VIN, and I'm going to return the ATM I bought of unknown origin.

I still need to figure out how to flash my evo without an f car...
Maybe I can rent/borrow a zgw and a can filter...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 02:59 AM   #5
justanurse
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6sp

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Everything I've been told says that it isn't possible to read out the VIN from the ATM.
I don't have an F car and don't have a ZGW, so experimentation is difficult. I ended up buying an ATM from a local yard with a known VIN, and I'm going to return the ATM I bought of unknown origin.

You can try seeing if anyone around can do a bench flash for you that's best bet
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 12:56 PM   #6
Jhnblckwood
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Did u already try to code the atm u have now?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 05:53 PM   #7
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
Haven't tried to code the ATM yet.
I sent back the one I got from laautoparts, which has an unknown VIN.
I was told that if I connected it to an evo with a different vin, it would reset itself and be unusable, so I didn't bother with it.
I now have a ZGW and I have upgraded my ID5 evo to the 2018-07 psdzdata. I updated the ZGW and evo to match the VIN of the vehicle the ATM came out of (this required purchasing an FSC retrofit kit from a guy in Italy).

Once I find the connectors for making the OABR cable, I'm going to connect the ATM to the evo and see if it magically works, or if it blows up in my face. yay.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2019, 05:54 PM   #8
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
(And yes, this is all on the bench)
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2019, 02:26 PM   #9
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 F15 50I

Quote:
(And yes, this is all on the bench)
Hey looks like we are in the same boat. I just bought the atm from laautoparts and saw your post. I ended up buying an ATM harness from a guy in UK.

Who told you atm will reset if connected to different VIN EVO HU?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 02:46 PM   #10
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
It was in one of the 3 or 4 dozen threads I went through...

I don't think I believe it, since I accidentally left my ATM connected while working on another user's EVO in my car, and nothing got wiped, but I suppose there's a chance.

I also found that I was able to read the ATM's donor vin from ESYS, contrary to what everyone had been saying. I needed to connect to it through a ZGW, read the coding, and it was one of the various coding items (there aren't many)
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 08:54 PM   #11
Jhnblckwood
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It was in one of the 3 or 4 dozen threads I went through...

I don't think I believe it, since I accidentally left my ATM connected while working on another user's EVO in my car, and nothing got wiped, but I suppose there's a chance.

I also found that I was able to read the ATM's donor vin from ESYS, contrary to what everyone had been saying. I needed to connect to it through a ZGW, read the coding, and it was one of the various coding items (there aren't many)
U was able to read our donor atm vin? Was it written in hex? Thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 07:35 PM   #12
pcamera123
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32

Quote:
Mind elaborating on where you went too to read that vin ? Im also in the same boat

Last edited by pcamera123; 02-28-2020 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: Fix html quotes
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 11:51 AM   #13
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
I'll have to look once I get my ATM reinstalled in my new car... old car was totaled and new car still has a TCU/MULF.
      03-07-2020, 12:36 AM   #14
Ddayan97
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83, Tesla Model S

Hey guys, I’m not nearly as advanced as any of you are here. I do have a brand new ATM fitted to my F83, as well as a full NBT Evo retrofit. The Evo was bench coded and flashed correctly to my VIN. The ATM was not bench coded,( we were not aware this was possible,) and has never shown up on my E-sys to even code. It is connected with a retrofit harness I bought on eBay from a seller in the UK, and the GPS extension loop is connected as well. Right now I have an SOS error and no connected drive services, well because my car does not even recognize the ATM is there. I’ve replaced the battery but no luck.

Any and all help is appreciated, I’m not sure what I should do. The only thing I could think of was to have it removed and bench code it.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 08:48 AM   #15
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddayan97 View Post
Hey guys, I'm not nearly as advanced as any of you are here. I do have a brand new ATM fitted to my F83, as well as a full NBT Evo retrofit. The Evo was bench coded and flashed correctly to my VIN. The ATM was not bench coded,( we were not aware this was possible,) and has never shown up on my E-sys to even code. It is connected with a retrofit harness I bought on eBay from a seller in the UK, and the GPS extension loop is connected as well. Right now I have an SOS error and no connected drive services, well because my car does not even recognize the ATM is there. I've replaced the battery but no luck.

Any and all help is appreciated, I'm not sure what I should do. The only thing I could think of was to have it removed and bench code it.

Thanks
Even if you could code it properly, it would not work as the SIM in the ATM does not match the SIM assigned to your VIN in the BMW System.

In simplistic terms, the ATM/TCB acts as a smartphone.

It's like adding a smartphone to your account without the proper SIM the Network is expecting to be there. Just having a used ATM will not allow it to work on a Network without the proper SIM card.

It simply will not work, even if your VIN was coded correctly in it.

The SIM in the ATM is not assigned in the BMW Computers to your car, but another one.

Read this thread:

Activating Connected Drive, Live & Internet on a retrofitted NBT EVO https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1246508
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 05:50 PM   #16
Ddayan97
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Even if you could code it properly, it would not work as the SIM in the ATM does not match the SIM assigned to your VIN in the BMW System.

It's like adding a smartphone to your account without the proper SIM the Network is expecting to be there. Just having a used ATM will not allow it to work on a Network without the proper SIM card.

The SIM in the ATM is not assigned in the BMW Computers to your car, but another one.

Read this thread:

Activating Connected Drive, Live & Internet on a retrofitted NBT EVO https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1246508
Thanks IK6SPEED

My ATM is brand new, unassigned. Does your advice still hold? Any suggestions on a dealer who’s had BMW do this before?

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 09:03 PM   #17
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Quote:

Read this thread:

Thanks IK6SPEED

My ATM is brand new, unassigned. Does your advice still hold? Any suggestions on a dealer who's had BMW do this before?

Thanks again
I have not purchased an ATM from a Dealer so I have zero first hand experience in that scenario.

2 other posters have stated they did purchase from Dealer (Parts Department) and the VIN was required for purchase (to be pre-coded in ATM).

If you will read those threads, you will notice I asked specific follow up questions (as I was surprised Dealer would sell ATM coded for a pre-LCI car that had a TCB. You will also notice both posters never again responded to their threads.

So I have real questions about this myself, but only relaying what 2 others who have ghosted their thread have stated.

I do know 100% if the VIN in the ATM and SIM doesn't match what's in BMW Connect's database, it will NOT be working.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 10:55 PM   #18
Ddayan97
Private
Rep

Quote:
I have not purchased an ATM from a Dealer so I have zero first hand experience in that scenario.

2 other posters have stated they did purchase from Dealer (Parts Department) and the VIN was required for purchase (to be pre-coded in ATM).

If you will read those threads, you will notice I asked specific follow up questions (as I was surprised Dealer would sell ATM coded for a pre-LCI car that had a TCB. You will also notice both posters never again responded to their threads.

So I have real questions about this myself, but only relaying what 2 others who have ghosted their thread have stated.

I do know 100% if the VIN in the ATM and SIM doesn't match what's in BMW Connect's database, it will NOT be working.
SIM is now registered to my VIN! I love my new Service Advisor, that’s all I’m gonna day for that. We were able to email the Connected Services team and they swapped the old IMEI of the 3G TCB for the 4G ATM. Now my issue is the retrofit harness from Topdonas, it might be flipped, I will retry and get back to everyone.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 08:41 AM   #19
justplain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D MY2013

Hey guys, I've been looking at what is needed to bench code a BMW headunit using an ENET cable and cant find a definitive guide on the EXACT requirements.
Could you please list the required cables/adapters/looms/control units etc?
Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 07:52 PM   #20
LongRuf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 328d

Quote:
SIM is now registered to my VIN! I love my new Service Advisor, that’s all I’m gonna day for that. We were able to email the Connected Services team and they swapped the old IMEI of the 3G TCB for the 4G ATM. Now my issue is the retrofit harness from Topdonas, it might be flipped, I will retry and get back to everyone.
Ddayan97 - What ever came of this? Did you get it figured out?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 09:26 AM   #21
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

For bench coding an NBT Evo you need a ZGW & can signal generator to wake the headunit and keep it awake - I have a set from this guy:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/COMPLETE-KI...YAAOSwVtZaKPrL

And it works well except the can emulator I changed out for a better one.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 11:24 PM   #22
Ddayan97
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRuf View Post
Quote:
Ddayan97 - What ever came of this? Did you get it figured out?
Still haven't opened up trunk to get to the ATM, sorry to keep you all waiting
Appreciate 0