F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > i need help with fitment
ARMA SPEED

01-17-2024, 10:33 AM   #45
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by f32christian View Post
jmanB45 alohasurftoad
the creaking noise went away fortunately. i just have a question about dampening with the coilovers. originally they were set really stiff i lowered them all to 16 which is right in the mid point because there is 32 levels of the dampening. the ride is definitely noticeably softer but i dont know if i should stiffen it a little bit due to how low i am in the rear i dont want to be bottoming out. i just dont have the correct tools and equipment to take my rear wheels off everytime i want to adjust the dampening in the rear i have to drive to my mechanic. should i stick with it like this i haven’t noticed any bottoming out but i would like it to be slightly stiffer would there be a negative to just stiffing the front? or
the coilover should not bottom out regardless of how soft it is. if it does, then it is poorly designed.

since the rear has an appearance of sagging or like there is a lot of weight in the trunk, you need to raise the rear coilover height, if there is still height adjustment.

you could lower the front to match, however as stated in previous posts, you increase failure risk on the x-drive half shafts.
Appreciate 1
jmanB45145.50
      01-17-2024, 07:02 PM   #46
jmanB45
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 330iX Sedan

Garage List
With coilovers, it can take a few tries before you get the height and the dampening to your taste. It will be worth it in the end: raise the rear and stiffen it if you like.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2024, 11:21 AM   #47
f32christian
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw 428i xdrive

alohasurftoad hey it’s been a while. i’m looking to add wheel spacers to my setup because the rears looking a little caved in. i was thinking maybe 12 mm spacers in the rear i don’t want to poke just want my wheel to be more flush what do you think?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 02:15 PM   #48
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

Quote:
alohasurftoad hey it’s been a while. i’m looking to add wheel spacers to my setup because the rears looking a little caved in. i was thinking maybe 12 mm spacers in the rear i don’t want to poke just want my wheel to be more flush what do you think?
i'm not a fan of using spacers to enhance appearance since it changes susp geometry.

to determine spacer thickness, plumb a string from the top of the fenderwell and measure the distance from the string to part of the upper tire you desire to be flush. that distance will determine your spacer size.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 04:56 AM   #49
danb1979
Idiotic lifter of heavy stones...
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 325D M Sport touring

Quote:
12-15mm spacers will be fine, just ensure that the 12mm spacers clear the hub fully, otherwise you may have issues with how the wheel sits

There are no issues with running sensible sized spacers; fitted properly (ideally with a stud conversion - makes life easier and better than faffing with longer bolts); they'll have the wheels sitting about perfect for you

I've run spacers on cars since I was driving Jap import Honda's from the early 2000s

My motorsports mechanics set up plenty of pro track cars with spacers for when they're running different wheel/tyre combos and again, zero issues

Just avoid cheap eBay crap and stick to decent spacers like Bimecc etc... Don't waste your money on H&R or Eibach spacers (unless you want to); you're mainly paying for a name and their marketing
      04-13-2024, 02:25 AM   #50
f32christian
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw 428i xdrive

alohasurftoad
in someone else forum running the same wheel and tire setup as me went with 15mm spacers and had some poke, i’m looking for a more flush look so i ordered the 12 mm spacers
Appreciate 1