F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > G31 weekend test drive review

11-12-2017, 11:46 AM   #23
Bibbles
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i MPPSK

Good to hear you liked the G31, I'm loving mine since I picked it up a month or so ago. With regards to the display key, I've only charged mine once by lobbing it in the wireless charging bay. I've just come back from a week away and the charge on the key is still full. Also it's a lot slimmer than the F31 key when you have to put a case on that to stop your boot opening for no reason so I'm actually using it as my main key.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 08:12 AM   #24
TimMcC
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430d & G31 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibbles View Post
Good to hear you liked the G31, I'm loving mine since I picked it up a month or so ago. With regards to the display key, I've only charged mine once by lobbing it in the wireless charging bay. I've just come back from a week away and the charge on the key is still full. Also it's a lot slimmer than the F31 key when you have to put a case on that to stop your boot opening for no reason so I'm actually using it as my main key.
Good to know. I'd assumed it was full when it arrived, but maybe it wasn't. Also good to know it can be wirelessly charged. Still don't think I'll pay out for this key though!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 08:29 AM   #25
TimMcC
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

For those who were interested in my experience of the E class, I've just completed a weekend with the E220d AMG Line Estate, with no optional extras.

It's very strange to have been supplied with a poorly specified car, we were supposed to receive a different car with a good number of options. This has marred the experience somewhat but I've tried to overlook simply not having some of the stuff I'm used to.

First things first, the engine. Like the 20d unit in the G31, the 220d in the Mercedes was 'OK', only not quite as good as the 20d either in power delivery or refinement. But it did return slightly better economy at 45mpg averaged.

The new 9 speed auto is just as bad as the 7 speed auto it replaces that we have in the C class. If I think back to auto cars from years past it's actually very good, but compared to the auto in my 4 series, it's simply nowhere near as good! Due to the number of gears and the lack of power from the engine, it seemed to change gear in a noticeable way almost every time I hit the accelerator on a motorway cruise (sometimes multiple times) - not very refined.

The standard dashboard is RUBBISH. It's ugly, not particularly functional, and slow. The standard 'nav' screen is ever worse, how a car this high up in the range can have such a naff nav system is beyond me. If you buy this car you must upgrade these two screens! The new touch controls on the steering wheel are vague and hard to use, the buttons they replace were better.

I couldn't get comfortable in the standard AMG line seats. The seat profile is really weird, and although my waist was fine, there wasn't enough room between the side bolsters for my lats and this didn't seem adjustable. I'm quite a broad bloke, but I'm hardly a body builder. This has never been a problem in any car for me. Maybe the adjustment is there somewhere, but none of the buttons on the seat made any difference to me. And both front seats had this issue, the car only had 200 miles on it when it arrived so they're probably at standard settings.

The boot only seemed a tiny amount larger, maybe most of the litreage is in the space under the floor which is pretty big. But inconvenient to use. The back seats didn't feel as big so maybe this is where the space comes from.

There was a lot of cheap plastic around in noticeable places. The very front piece of the lip over the screens was nasty, and the button to open the armrest was also cheap and nasty plastic. If you're going to cheap out on trim, why there?! The console also seems to slope away as you drive and my wife found some of it hard to reach when driving.

Whilst the E class interior looks better to me in photographs when compared to the 5 series, the reality is that it's significantly worse in materials, look, and usability. For some reason it really grates on me that the climate control temperature isn't visible anywhere in a map view, same on the C class.

The handling of the E class wasn't bad, but again not as good as the 5 series. The ride quality was much worse than the 5 series.

I've come out of this very surprised. I went in expecting the 5 series to perform better at the expense of comfort, and for the E class to handle like a big barge but waft me along in supreme comfort and refinement. Whereas actually the 5 series is more comfortable, more refined, and performs better!

My verdict... the 5 series is the better car in every way, except it has a very slightly smaller boot. So unless boot space is all important to you, get the 5 series. If boot space *is* all important to you, you're probably better off with a Mondeo. Or maybe look at an SUV?

I've emailed TRL asking for a quote on a G31 530d.
Appreciate 2
      11-13-2017, 08:46 AM   #26
Rudz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335D xDrive Shadow Edition

I am surprised by your review of the E, I found the interior to be classy (the one I drove had premium plus pack with pano roof and digital cockpit), the car I had was an E350 which came with air suspension, it was perfect and very comfortable as needed for a long distance cruiser, however I do agree the 9 speed box was slow but this is a well known Mercedes problem, their auto gearboxes are shite, I would recommend another try on a well specced E350 mate

Have u seen the E Coupe? It is a stunning looking car? Not sure if that car is for u as u need a wagon
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 09:13 AM   #27
TimMcC
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudz View Post
I am surprised by your review of the E, I found the interior to be classy (the one I drove had premium plus pack with pano roof and digital cockpit), the car I had was an E350 which came with air suspension, it was perfect and very comfortable as needed for a long distance cruiser, however I do agree the 9 speed box was slow but this is a well known Mercedes problem, their auto gearboxes are shite, I would recommend another try on a well specced E350 mate

Have u seen the E Coupe? It is a stunning looking car? Not sure if that car is for u as u need a wagon
I drive a current model C class estate on a daily basis (and a 430d I drive most days), and it's a good comparison point to both cars. The 5 series felt like a huge step up in quality compared to the C, and the E just felt like a bigger C. Nothing wrong with that, it just isn't as good as the 5. Weirdly the E class actually felt *worse* in some areas quality wise, some of the touchable plastic was worse, and the gear lever also felt much flimsier than the one on the C class...

Maybe Mercedes shot themselves in the foot sending out a base spec demo. As I said, I tried to look past the missing options and focus on the parts of the car which were the same.

The E coupe is no good, I'm shopping for a big family estate car! Although I did drive the then current E coupe (back in 2015) alongside the 4 series. I liked them both, but the old E coupe interior was tragic.

Maybe I just don't like MB interiors?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 10:10 AM   #28
ciscopete822
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi S8 , Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMcC View Post
I drive a current model C class estate on a daily basis (and a 430d I drive most days), and it's a good comparison point to both cars. The 5 series felt like a huge step up in quality compared to the C, and the E just felt like a bigger C. Nothing wrong with that, it just isn't as good as the 5. Weirdly the E class actually felt *worse* in some areas quality wise, some of the touchable plastic was worse, and the gear lever also felt much flimsier than the one on the C class...

Maybe Mercedes shot themselves in the foot sending out a base spec demo. As I said, I tried to look past the missing options and focus on the parts of the car which were the same.

The E coupe is no good, I'm shopping for a big family estate car! Although I did drive the then current E coupe (back in 2015) alongside the 4 series. I liked them both, but the old E coupe interior was tragic.

Maybe I just don't like MB interiors?
Hey Tim,

Problem is you are comparing well kitted 520 to base spec e220. Try one with Technology pack on it and then tell me 5 is better inside...
Now having said that 520d is freaking decent!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 10:54 AM   #29
TimMcC
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscopete822 View Post
Hey Tim,

Problem is you are comparing well kitted 520 to base spec e220. Try one with Technology pack on it and then tell me 5 is better inside...
Now having said that 520d is freaking decent!
What difference would the technology pack make to the quality of plastics in use in the interior, the interior design, or the seating...?

Sure I'd have a nice big screen, but given my experience of MB UI design to date is not good (based everything current up to C COMAND and the E standard system), not sure it'd be all that good!

I appreciate those who advocate the E trying to get my to change my mind, but save your breath, whatever I buy it won't be the E.
Appreciate 1
JustChris5409.00

11-13-2017, 11:16 AM   #30
ciscopete822
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi S8 , Golf R

Quote:
What difference would the technology pack make to the quality of plastics in use in the interior, the interior design, or the seating...?

Sure I'd have a nice big screen, but given my experience of MB UI design to date is not good (based everything current up to C COMAND and the E standard system), not sure it'd be all that good!

I appreciate those who advocate the E trying to get my to change my mind, but save your breath, whatever I buy it won't be the E.
well , it looks like you are already fixed on Beemer , I am sure you wont be disappointed. Driven e350 AMG estate for couple of days. In my eyes , even with cheapish plastics , 5 series has got nothing on MB interior. Idrive is better media system but not by that much especially now when Android Auto and Apple Car play are becoming standard. Drive-wise , well , thats a different story.....
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 04:06 PM   #31
TimMcC
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

To loop back and finish this thread...

Had a fantastic offer from TRL last week, and when I went into my local dealer (Partridge) they were able to better it.

New Bluestone 530d MSport Touring incoming in March to complement the 430d
Appreciate 2
JustChris5409.00

11-21-2017, 04:18 PM   #32
JustChris
Lieutenant General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Range Rover Sport

Quote:
To loop back and finish this thread...

Had a fantastic offer from TRL last week, and when I went into my local dealer (Partridge) they were able to better it.

New Bluestone 530d MSport Touring incoming in March to complement the 430d
Nice result Tim!

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1500221
Appreciate 1
TimMcC137.50