F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > xHP Flashtool Question
Studio RSR

02-04-2021, 10:57 AM   #23
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinniciF32 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom10R View Post
just run stage 3.. everyone runs stage 3
very true on everyones signatures and build list that seems to be the norm, I've been on it myself for over a year, Does anyone ever daily stage 4(I know its meant for tracking)? I've considered trying it out for a day once it gets warmer
I've never even tried stage 4 tbh.. does anyone even know what it actually does?
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 11:04 AM   #24
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F20_M135i View Post
My question is asked "in sport mode" (or Sport) and in automatic mode (lever to the right)

With your explanations, it seems that I have misinterpreted the (literary) translation of the Xhp Flashtool manual which suggests that in STAGE 2 and in STAGE 3 and in automatic SPORT mode = it's up to you to change gears higher (with levers or paddles) otherwise you go to the limit and breaker

The car is always going to shift on its own in any mode except manual. It doesnt matter if you are in eco, comfort, sport, or sport +, or if you have the transmission in normal (lever to right) or sport (lever to left), or any combination thereof, the car is going to shift automatically just at different RPMs (higher RPMs in the sportier modes). XHP doesnt change the automatic shifting.

It's only up to you to change gears when you engage manual mode.
Appreciate 1
F20_M135i100.50
      02-04-2021, 11:07 AM   #25
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I've never even tried stage 4 tbh.. does anyone even know what it actually does?
Yes, it basically upshifts and downshifts to maintain maximum RPM. So in other words eco upshifts at super low rpm, comfort at low-med rpm, sport at med-high rpm, and stage 4 at maximum rpm. So it will rev you out to redline, hold gears if you let off, and if you drop to a low enough RPM to downshift to like 6000 in the lower gear it will automatically downshift to keep you at the highest rpm possible. Hence, its made to drive how you would in manual mode on the track. There's no reason to run it on the street because everything else is the same as stage 3 so its just going to keep you unnecessarily high in the RPM range.

Maybe fun if you wanted to flash it and hit the canyons for 15 mins or something?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 05:42 PM   #26
n55david
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:
Yes, it basically upshifts and downshifts to maintain maximum RPM. So in other words eco upshifts at super low rpm, comfort at low-med rpm, sport at med-high rpm, and stage 4 at maximum rpm. So it will rev you out to redline, hold gears if you let off, and if you drop to a low enough RPM to downshift to like 6000 in the lower gear it will automatically downshift to keep you at the highest rpm possible. Hence, its made to drive how you would in manual mode on the track. There's no reason to run it on the street because everything else is the same as stage 3 so its just going to keep you unnecessarily high in the RPM range.

Maybe fun if you wanted to flash it and hit the canyons for 15 mins or something?
would be great for roll racing if you could truly set the shift points instead of sort of
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 10:13 PM   #27
F20_M135i
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 M140i Xdrive

- URGENT -
Hello, following a bad manipulation by removing options I flashed STAGE 1, when I noticed my error, I (re) flashed STAGE 2 which had been in place for more than 600 kilometers
QUESTION:
Am I obliged to respect the 80 kms of course before the tests in driving mode SPORT and heavy load on the gearbox?
NB: Nice bullshit because I have to test the car today, so if the answer is: YES = I must / I will drive 80 kilometers before going to drop them off at the garage ...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 12:24 AM   #28
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
- URGENT -
Hello, following a bad manipulation by removing options I flashed STAGE 1, when I noticed my error, I (re) flashed STAGE 2 which had been in place for more than 600 kilometers
QUESTION:
Am I obliged to respect the 80 kms of course before the tests in driving mode SPORT and heavy load on the gearbox?
NB: Nice bullshit because I have to test the car today, so if the answer is: YES = I must / I will drive 80 kilometers before going to drop them off at the garage ...
Switching between stages you dont really need to do the whole relearn. Its most important the first time you flash XHP or if you were to completely uninstall it, since its changing lines pressures and whatnot. If your car is like mine it probably takes ~10 miles to get everything fully warmed up in the winter and that should be long enough before you start driving hard.
Appreciate 1
F20_M135i100.50
      02-09-2021, 12:55 AM   #29
F20_M135i
Lieutenant
France
Rep

THANK !
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 05:51 AM   #30
F20_M135i
Lieutenant
France
Rep

I have set up for 3 days the option to start in 2nd gear on my F20 PWG, I do not know if this really helps the transmission as it indicates in their manual, but the starts are less "violent" and this 'is more pleasant.
I am still worried about the stress (pressure) of oil made because I have never drained my car transmission and it at 85,000 kms
Do you think there is a risk?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 06:39 AM   #31
Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i Xdrive MSport

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [0.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
Quote:
I have set up for 3 days the option to start in 2nd gear on my F20 PWG, I do not know if this really helps the transmission as it indicates in their manual, but the starts are less "violent" and this 'is more pleasant.
I am still worried about the stress (pressure) of oil made because I have never drained my car transmission and it at 85,000 kms
I personally think starting in 2nd is dumb. 1st gear is there for a reason.
n55david1295.50
      02-23-2021, 07:48 AM   #32
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

In a manual with dry clutch it would certainly lead to more slip and greater wear. However in an auto with torque converter the slip doesn't do that type of damage, and with 8 speeds (and a short first gear) it makes some sense to move off in 2nd most of the time.
What I don't like about it is the hesitation that stepping on the gas brings on, as the car takes a moment to decide to change down to 1st and achieve that before moving off. This moment feels like an eternity when all you are after is quick movement from rest. I've got over it by selecting Sport gearshift at junctions to preselect 1st to get over this hesitation.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 11:26 AM   #33
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
It shouldnt hurt or help the transmission.

Also, ZF guidelines are 150,000km for the pan and fluid change now. Of course, shorter interval if you drive harder than average. But 85,000km isn't bad. Maybe 100,000km (which is what it used to be) for a tuned car. See attachment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno 9000 View Post
What I don't like about it is the hesitation that stepping on the gas brings on, as the car takes a moment to decide to change down to 1st and achieve that before moving off. This moment feels like an eternity when all you are after is quick movement from rest. I've got over it by selecting Sport gearshift at junctions to preselect 1st to get over this hesitation.
Not sure what you are referring to here. If you enable the 2nd gear option, the car shouldn't downshift to 1st. If you are talking about what happens without this option on, you can change your shiftpoints in XHP if you are unhappy with the default programming to change down to 1st.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ZF 8 lol-te-ml-11-en.pdf (105.1 KB, 97 views)
Appreciate 1
F20_M135i100.50
      02-23-2021, 02:41 PM   #34
n55david
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
all I know if any of you 2nd gear launch fbo stock turbo guys wanna race from a dig let me know min $500 a race.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 02:28 PM   #35
F20_M135i
Lieutenant
France
Rep

Thumbs down

Well... I'm sorry to insist but I find the report passages with the Xhp Flashtool software extremely slow

Even with stage 3.

Maybe it's just my vehicle (f20 pwg) but I have more this feeling of waste of time than of gain

Recently I put the gear changes back to the stock point, because I hoped that this slowness came from that, but no ... Nothing helps, I click on the pallets and almost 1.5 seconds later, it goes (above or below) it is incredibly slow.

I remember that when I drove this vehicle for the first time, changing the paddles gears told me: "wow! It's really very fast!"

The problem is that I have reset (supposedly) original with XHP FLASHTOOL, but in reality I think this is not my file, but a generic of a random F20 no matter what it is either 125i or 118 diesel, they must offer the same maps, which is not the case with BMW M for sure!

Here I am with a slow and perfectible gearbox, whereas I had a much more efficient /// MPerf prepared gearbox.

Again and again the same conclusion: I'm disappointed (and angry with myself for having given in to this gadget)

nb: the readjustment of the gearbox is a solution of last resort that I have not yet done, which seems rather suitable when you encounter concerns of hesitation in changing gears, or of suspicious movement of gears, this n fortunately not my case, but I'm still stuck with RBT Tuning

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 03:02 PM   #36
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Well... I'm sorry to insist but I find the report passages with the Xhp Flashtool software extremely slow

Even with stage 3.

Maybe it's just my vehicle (f20 pwg) but I have more this feeling of waste of time than of gain

Recently I put the gear changes back to the stock point, because I hoped that this slowness came from that, but no ... Nothing helps, I click on the pallets and almost 1.5 seconds later, it goes (above or below) it is incredibly slow.

I remember that when I drove this vehicle for the first time, changing the paddles gears told me: "wow! It's really very fast!"

The problem is that I have reset (supposedly) original with XHP FLASHTOOL, but in reality I think this is not my file, but a generic of a random F20 no matter what it is either 125i or 118 diesel, they must offer the same maps, which is not the case with BMW M for sure!

Here I am with a slow and perfectible gearbox, whereas I had a much more efficient /// MPerf prepared gearbox.

Again and again the same conclusion: I'm disappointed (and angry with myself for having given in to this gadget)

nb: the readjustment of the gearbox is a solution of last resort that I have not yet done, which seems rather suitable when you encounter concerns of hesitation in changing gears, or of suspicious movement of gears, this n fortunately not my case, but I'm still stuck with RBT Tuning

If you are talking about the delay between pulling a paddle to change gears up or down and the actual gearchange happening, are you in comfort mode / D trans (shifter to the right)? This is a known side effect of XHP. You must be in sport+ and S trans (shifter to left) to get instant/fastest paddle response. Regardless of which stage you flash, you will get a big delay between paddle and gear change if you are a comfort/D. Yes, this can mean even slower than stock response in the same mode. But the response will definitely be faster in sport+/S.

Also, i dont think when you flash back to stock it uses a generic map. I am pretty sure it uses your stock map file.

On your final point, i dont know if by "readjustment" you mean resetting adaptations, but you don't want to reset transmission adaptations.
Appreciate 1
F20_M135i100.50
      02-26-2021, 11:20 PM   #37
F20_M135i
Lieutenant
France
Rep

Hello thejeremyman9, That's exactly it; in everyday life, I am not in SPORT mode with lever pulled to the left, I am in ECO mode / be in COMFORT mode, with the reflex when I have to enter a fast lane to pull on the paddle to avoid screaming the engine, and there ... A disaster, I frankly have the impression of having a LADA or DACIA.
The worst is when I have to overtake, but I don't want to do KD, then I lower the gear with the paddle at the wheel to try to pass quickly = inefficient.
If this lag is "known" I do not even understand that the users are then not honest with themselves <= XHP FLASHTOOL is only a software for SPORT mode ONLY
The other modes are very poorly managed, whether manual, automatic, rpm for overpass points, downshifts
This software should not be recommended for any user of an M Performance or BMW Motorsport car. The advantages are 0, except maybe for wild runs and circuit races, but there again, Xhp FLASHTOOL does not specify it anywhere.
Make no mistake, I am especially angry with myself for having given in to this so-called "+ paying" which does nothing!
Maybe just the display of reports on the dashboard ... it's funny but that's it ...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 01:34 PM   #38
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Hello thejeremyman9, That's exactly it; in everyday life, I am not in SPORT mode with lever pulled to the left, I am in ECO mode / be in COMFORT mode, with the reflex when I have to enter a fast lane to pull on the paddle to avoid screaming the engine, and there ... A disaster, I frankly have the impression of having a LADA or DACIA.
The worst is when I have to overtake, but I don't want to do KD, then I lower the gear with the paddle at the wheel to try to pass quickly = inefficient.
If this lag is "known" I do not even understand that the users are then not honest with themselves <= XHP FLASHTOOL is only a software for SPORT mode ONLY
The other modes are very poorly managed, whether manual, automatic, rpm for overpass points, downshifts
This software should not be recommended for any user of an M Performance or BMW Motorsport car. The advantages are 0, except maybe for wild runs and circuit races, but there again, Xhp FLASHTOOL does not specify it anywhere.
Make no mistake, I am especially angry with myself for having given in to this so-called "+ paying" which does nothing!
Maybe just the display of reports on the dashboard ... it's funny but that's it ...
Maybe its just the way you drive, but i never find the need to pull the paddle to downshift. If i am in comfort/D and i need to pass or something, i just press the throttle like 25-50% and the car with downshift 1-3 gears as needed, very quickly, and i can easily accelerate very fast. Since in auto mode you can drop several gears at a time, i don't see any reason why you would try to use the paddle to manually downshift in this situation? Frankly, i never use the paddles at all unless i am in sport+/S; there's just no reason to IMO. The car will respond faster with downshifts by just modulating throttle position than you could downshift by pulling the paddle multiple times. I agree its a strage side effect of XHP that it can actually make the response slower in this situation, but i never run into it as a problem because of the reasons i mentioned. I daily drive stage 3 with no changes except lowering max RPM upshifts to 6100 and i am very happy with the XHP purchase and performance.

So I guess i am just not sure why you find the need to use the paddles in D/comfort. You can shift with your right foot as needed.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 09:25 AM   #39
F20_M135i
Lieutenant
France
Rep

Question

My way of driving? lol !! So I am buying a product that must dictate my way of doing ??
Is such an obvious and penalizing lag normal? and should not be mentioned?
I am not arguing, I am giving my point of view and you are giving yours, but I do not have to agree to what you say.
Your vision of the software comes from your mapping of the gearbox and the engine of your car.
Let's be honest, this product does not add anything to Sportive or GT range vehicles except maybe, in SPORT mode only.
1 F20 M135i Xdrive series vehicle:
I tried = I fired him, and I take this opportunity to give my point of view.
Thank you and good day
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 10:13 AM   #40
Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i Xdrive MSport

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [0.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
Quote:
My way of driving? lol !! So I am buying a product that must dictate my way of doing ??
Is such an obvious and penalizing lag normal? and should not be mentioned?
I am not arguing, I am giving my point of view and you are giving yours, but I do not have to agree to what you say.
Your vision of the software comes from your mapping of the gearbox and the engine of your car.
Let's be honest, this product does not add anything to Sportive or GT range vehicles except maybe, in SPORT mode only.
1 F20 M135i Xdrive series vehicle:
I tried = I fired him, and I take this opportunity to give my point of view.
Thank you and good day
You could always flash stage 1 which keeps the stock mapping, just removes the torque limits.
      02-28-2021, 10:58 AM   #41
F20_M135i
Lieutenant
France
Rep

Hello,
I have tried stock retrieval and don't want to be slanderous, but I'm pretty sure what Xhp Flash says about "replacing original mapping" isn't correct.
The gears still don't shift like before, or am I fixing too much?
I don't understand what you describe as "just removing the torque limits"
Xhp Stage 1 mapping removes "latency" from gear changes to pallets?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 11:02 AM   #42
n55david
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Hello,
I have tried stock retrieval and don't want to be slanderous, but I'm pretty sure what Xhp Flash says about "replacing original mapping" isn't correct.
LOL

I'm taking a screen shot of these last few replies for some groups I'm in. Pure gold. I give you my thanks my good sir.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 11:04 AM   #43
n55david
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Hello,
btw you meant "libel" not "slander" correct?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 11:26 AM   #44
435gc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe xdrive

I think he's using a translation program. I have trouble following his posts. I usually have to read them 3 times at least.
Appreciate 1
F20_M135i100.50