F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Help with ISTA Code
Studio RSR

09-12-2021, 10:00 PM   #1
Morrob95
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 328D

Help with ISTA Code

Hey guys.

Trying to diagnose why my car always says "remote not detected" and why I have to put the key in the rear seat to get the car to start. Finally got ISTA up and running and the only fault that seemed related was this... Also, Ive already tried swapping out the diversity antenna in the past to no avail. Do you think its worth swapping that emergency aerial ring out?

I
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 07:12 AM   #2
AlmondJayRoM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I’m guessing that before you replaced the module that you already tried the easy stuff such as trying the other key, and replacing their batteries. What other troubleshooting have you done with respect to this key issue?

Do you have any aftermarket led lighting on your car. Ive heard people getting remote key issues due to interference from aftermarket led puddle lights.

As to the code you listed is it currently in or just a logged code? Try clearing the code to see if it comes back.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 08:59 AM   #3
Morrob95
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmondJayRoM3 View Post
I’m guessing that before you replaced the module that you already tried the easy stuff such as trying the other key, and replacing their batteries. What other troubleshooting have you done with respect to this key issue?

Do you have any aftermarket led lighting on your car. Ive heard people getting remote key issues due to interference from aftermarket led puddle lights.

As to the code you listed is it currently in or just a logged code? Try clearing the code to see if it comes back.
So I've replaced batteries in both keyfobs, same issue with both. I've replaced the diversity antenna (the one in the third brake light) and then found that code in ISTA. Seems like it could be because the keys work fine if it's near the rear window but not in the front seats.. unless there are other antennas up front somewhere. This one was a non active code but it was stored from just a couple miles ago and my issue is intermittent.. sometimes it works fines, most times it doesnt
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 05:08 PM   #4
AlmondJayRoM3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrob95 View Post
So I've replaced batteries in both keyfobs, same issue with both. I've replaced the diversity antenna (the one in the third brake light) and then found that code in ISTA. Seems like it could be because the keys work fine if it's near the rear window but not in the front seats.. unless there are other antennas up front somewhere. This one was a non active code but it was stored from just a couple miles ago and my issue is intermittent.. sometimes it works fines, most times it doesnt
There are several interior aerials throughout the car. I’d send you schematic and drawings but I am on travel and didn’t bring my laptop.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 09:08 AM   #5
Morrob95
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmondJayRoM3 View Post
There are several interior aerials throughout the car. I’d send you schematic and drawings but I am on travel and didn’t bring my laptop.
Hey buddy, do you happen to have those schematics? The only one I found thus far shows antennas in the door sills but I don't have comfort access so I don't think that applies to me
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 12:30 PM   #6
AlmondJayRoM3
Captain
Rep

Pasted from ISTA. If you do a text search for "aerial" under vehicle management, repair/maintenance you should be able to find diagrams and how-to's to get access to the various antennas.

Vehicle interior aerials and vehicle exterior aerials
Depending on the vehicle equipment, the control unit function for the Comfort Access system may be incorporated in the Car Access System control unit (CAS), the front electronic module (FEM) or the Body Domain Controller (BDC). Comfort Access combines high levels of functionality and comfort. The vehicle can be opened and started without actively using an ignition key.

With Comfort Access, an ID transmitter is required instead of the usual remote control. Alongside the normal functions of the radio remote control, the identifiers have a radio receiver. The radio receiver allows the ID transmitter to reply to a radio signal from the interior aerials and the exterior aerials for Comfort Access. The aerials for Comfort Access are transmitting aerials.

Various aerials are required for communication with the ID transmitter (series dependant):

Interior aerials:

- Interior aerial, centre console, front

- Interior aerial, centre console, rear

- Interior aerial, rear window shelf

- Luggage compartment aerial

- Driver's side luggage compartment aerial (also called: left luggage compartment aerial)

- Passenger side luggage compartment aerial (also called: right luggage compartment aerial)

Exterior aerials

- Exterior aerial, driver's side

- Exterior aerial, passenger's side

- Bumper aerial
Appreciate 0