F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Diamond cuts advice
GetBMWParts

12-13-2020, 01:22 PM   #1
SmokedTabasco
Rep
Drives: F30 M-sport

Diamond cuts advice

Hey guys, after some tailored advice from the experts, I’ve just gotten my new car it’s a white (not sure what type but it’s not metallic)
Shadow edition f31

The alloys I don’t like, they are some 19inch ‘orbit grey’ diamond cut upgrades and I’ll be honest, they are no good to me!!
I’ve read it’s best to clean diamond cuts weekly which I won’t lie will be a struggle but I’m willing to try, then after researching it seems a minefield of horror story’s of people using the wrong product and wrecking them even worse!

So if anyone could recommend a brand of a product in best using that would be epic
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 08:36 AM   #2
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
I use the regular Griots Garage wheel cleaner (the green one). It cuts through the brake dust and it works well. The key is to use something mild and as PH neutral as possible.

EDIT: Just noticed you are in the UK, so Griots may not be available. I'm not sure what brands are available where you are, but P21S is a very gentle wheel cleaner. SONAX is also a good brand, but I'm not sure if their legendary wheel cleaner might be a little too harsh on the diamond cut wheels.

I assume you're talking about the 442M wheels with the diamond cut faces? I'm not a fan either and really don't like how the clear coating starts to fail around the wheel hubs.
      12-14-2020, 01:39 PM   #3
SmokedTabasco
Rep
Drives: F30 M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
I use the regular Griots Garage wheel cleaner (the green one). It cuts through the brake dust and it works well. The key is to use something mild and as PH neutral as possible.

EDIT: Just noticed you are in the UK, so Griots may not be available. I'm not sure what brands are available where you are, but P21S is a very gentle wheel cleaner. SONAX is also a good brand, but I'm not sure if their legendary wheel cleaner might be a little too harsh on the diamond cut wheels.

I assume you're talking about the 442M wheels with the diamond cut faces? I'm not a fan either and really don't like how the clear coating starts to fail around the wheel hubs.
Ahhh thanks mate appreciate that !
And yeah I’ve already noticed a hell of a stone chip right in the centre which is only going to get worse!
I can see my just having them powder coated black in the next few years, white car with shadow edition parts should probably look better anyway
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 11:38 PM   #4
AspektUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i MSport/THP

Sonax Full Effect Plus
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 12:41 AM   #5
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokedTabasco View Post
Hey guys, after some tailored advice from the experts, I’ve just gotten my new car it’s a white (not sure what type but it’s not metallic)
Shadow edition f31

The alloys I don’t like, they are some 19inch ‘orbit grey’ diamond cut upgrades and I’ll be honest, they are no good to me!!
I’ve read it’s best to clean diamond cuts weekly which I won’t lie will be a struggle but I’m willing to try, then after researching it seems a minefield of horror story’s of people using the wrong product and wrecking them even worse!

So if anyone could recommend a brand of a product in best using that would be epic
Sonax makes good stuff. Use one of their wheel cleaners and then ceramic coat your wheels
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 04:03 PM   #6
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

Quote:

If you are cleaning weekly, then you'll need no more than a slightly stronger soap solution (whatever brand you normally use on the bodywork) and some various soft brushes / wheel woolies. Wheel woolies are a real boon. I have a set of three, small, medium and large. They can get between the spokes, past the brake calliper to clean the barrel of the wheel etc. A large, long, soft bristle brush for the face of the wheel, and a small, long, soft bristled brush for getting into the lug nut holes completes the set.

The brake dust won't get encrusted in a week, not even two. Just some build up that takes little effort to clean off. Using the soap solution is as safe as it gets.

If there is some encrusted deposits left after that (usually there would not be), I find a little AutoGlym wheel cleaner is completely safe and easily shifts encrusted deposits that might have built up in the groove that goes behind the spokes. Let the product dwell for 30s after spraying, then agitate with a soft brush. Only go up to a stiffer brush (say a tooth brush) for the odd small area where the above approach fails.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 04:11 PM   #7
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

Quote:
... I’ve already noticed a hell of a stone chip right in the centre which is only going to get worse!
Don't let the water get under the coating, get some clear lacquer on that to prevent the 'white worm' (aluminium oxidisation) from occurring.
Even if it has started corroding, get a spot repair done before it spreads, and it will be unnoticeable from any reasonable distance.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 04:26 PM   #8
BBri89
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d xDrive M Sport

Garage List
Whatever you clean them with, whatever you deal/protect them with... they will get ruined eventually.

Harsh/abrasive products, kerbing the wheels, and using a pressure washer are all ways to speed up the ruin.

Never use anything more than regular hosepipe water pressure on them or it can force water underneath the lacquer, then it'll bubble and turn white (google "white worm wheel corrosion").

BMW wheels in particular are bad for it, and they never seem to fix it with later models.

Maybe if they get bad and you can get them repaired under warranty you can get them fully painted or powder coated, so there's no diamond cut exposed metal.

My progress thread
Appreciate 0