F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2016 F30 Check Engine light - EVAP leak >0.5m
ARMA SPEED

10-03-2020, 04:41 PM   #23
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I changed my module, still get the check engine light. The latest codes thrown translate to

The diagnosis is monitoring the communication line between the DME and Natural Vacuum Leak Detection (NVLD). Fault monitoring conditions: The fault is detected when there is a line disconnection. Check Natural Vacuum Leak Detection voltage supply.
Check lines and plug connections between the following components:-DME- NVLD

Today I checked the fuse to the module voltage supply, no problem there. Tomorrow I go searching for a break in the cable to the module.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 04:56 PM   #24
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

So I pulled the right rear tire, and removed the wheel well liner. The cable to the module runs from up near the fuel filler pipe along the wheel well arch down to the module. I spotted some rodent sign by the filler pipe, and teeth marks at one spot on the wire, along with corrosion. I snipped the cable up near the filler pipe, removed the connector from the module.

On close examination I could see where the teeth marks had exposed the conductors; they'd corroded to the point that there was a total break in the wires, explaining the fault codes. I had some four conductor (it only needs three) telephone wire on hand, which is the right gauge, used it to make a new cable, all connections soldered and heat shrink insulated for a better than new cable. Too late today to clear the codes to be sure all is well.

Corrosion like I found doesn't happen over night. It may have been years since the mouse that did the damage was living in my car. I guess I waited too long before leaving mouse bait around my garage.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 11:03 AM   #25
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Today the CEL light went out after a few start/stops. This fix was a PITA. It only took fifteen minutes to create the replacement cable, but three hours total lifting the car, pulling the wheel, removing the liners, putting it all back together again. I figure it saved me at least $500, so worth it all things considered.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 03:43 PM   #26
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
I've had my F30 340i for about 8 1/2 months now. A few months ago, I noticed that if filled up by tank after my tank got below 1/2 full, I would get a bit of a shuddering at idle in the first ten mins of driving. I'd never had this happen before but since that was ALL it did (and didn't throw an engine code), I assumed that it was just the tank equalizing the pressure inside.

Last week, I was driving and noticed that I had the yellow CEL on my dash. I looked at the iDrive menu and nothing showed up. So I scanned it with my BimmerGeeks Pro Tool and it gave me these codes. So I cleared them and it went away for a few days, but then it popped up again a couple of days ago.

I installed a BMW Performance Exhaust two months ago, but the shudder has been happening since before it was installed. But that exhaust is why I have the "Exhaust Flap Open Circuit" code.

I thought that it might be the gas cap, but I've triple checked that and it made no difference.

So my two questions are: Would the Performance Exhaust cause this since the flap mechanism is disconnected? And I'm thinking that the shudder has something to do with this? Am I correct?
Attached Images

07-24-2021, 01:10 PM   #27
2013bmw335ias
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i x drive

2013 BMW F30 Fuel tank leak > .5mm

Looks like I received the same problem. My BMW 335i is giving me code 190302 "Fuel tank ventilation system and purge air system, micro leak: larger than .5mm. Additionally, my engine is sort of shaky from time to time when I first start it. The shaky only lasts for 10 seconds or so though. Any suggestions?

PLEASE HELP!!
Appreciate 0