F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Dash rattle driving me crazy
GetBMWParts

06-21-2018, 02:09 PM   #23
TiredGeek
Old Fart
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335dx F31 Shadow EB

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5x-Portab...53.m1438.l2649

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 02:52 PM   #24
DriveS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredGeek View Post
They need to add a benefit onto their listing - Prevents tickets from falling down the dash and causing annoying rattling noises....
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 07:17 PM   #25
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
I have a rattle that seems to subside when i press on the headsup display frame, has anyone had my issue?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 03:26 PM   #26
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
I have a rattle that seems to subside when i press on the headsup display frame, has anyone had my issue?
I've been having the exact same issue, I've been thinking it was the hud but it seems to be coming from right at the bottom of the windscreen nearer the centre. It does seem to change when I've pressed down on the dash, but thinking about it the back of my hand was also hard against the windscreen too. I think I may have found the issue tonight after two years looking and trying different things, could you report back if you have the same issue?

I don't really want to stuff foam in there as it will hold water, it's looking like felt tape will be the best option.
Appreciate 1
Tux22.50
      09-08-2019, 03:56 PM   #27
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I will check this out as well and get back to you
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 02:29 AM   #28
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Any luck?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 10:12 PM   #29
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoShambolt View Post
Quote:
Any luck?
Actually yes, I saw a similar looseness of the rubber screens that you saw. I wasn't able to directly relate it to the vibration that i felt when I was driving, but I can see how it could be. How else can we confirm that this is the cause of the vibration?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 06:34 AM   #30
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoShambolt View Post
Quote:
Any luck?
Actually yes, I saw a similar looseness of the rubber screens that you saw. I wasn't able to directly relate it to the vibration that i felt when I was driving, but I can see how it could be. How else can we confirm that this is the cause of the vibration?
I will remove the wiper arms and take off the trim, I've got the felt tape now so will cover the bits that are contacting underneath.
Won't be anytime soon though as I need to pick up the arm puller for the wiper arms from Halfords and I've just ripped out my downstairs toilet for a refurb. Will post back as soon as it's done though with what I find.
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2019, 02:01 PM   #31
acioce98
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xDrive Coupe

Annoying Rattle from front dash

I have an annoying rattle, sounds like it's coming from the vent in the front dash..

The noise occurs between 15-35 mph, and on rough road conditions.

I have placed my hand hard enough on parts of the dash when noise becomes apparent but nothing seems to have gotten my attention as far as where it's coming from.

I read online that it may be my wiper blades (need to replaced) or the cowl.

It can't be an exhaust rattle because there are no signs of rattling at any rpm.

Any recommendations on what it possibly is?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 05:13 PM   #32
James-335dx
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by acioce98 View Post
I have an annoying rattle, sounds like it's coming from the vent in the front dash..

I have placed my hand hard enough on parts of the dash when noise becomes apparent but nothing seems to have gotten my attention as far as where it's coming from.

It can't be an exhaust rattle because there are no signs of rattling at any rpm.

I traced a rattle to the trim around the steering column. Took me a while to figure it out as it seems to echo around a bit. First of all I thought it was coming from the door card so kept hitting that to see if I could get it to stop. Might be the same issue maybe?
      12-17-2019, 03:11 PM   #33
acioce98
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xDrive Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by James-335dx View Post
Quote:

I traced a rattle to the trim around the steering column. Took me a while to figure it out as it seems to echo around a bit. First of all I thought it was coming from the door card so kept hitting that to see if I could get it to stop. Might be the same issue maybe?
Not the steering column, it's coming from either the top center vent of the dash, or from the windshield cowl for the wipers. Tried to replicate the sound by hitting the cowl but nothing.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 02:02 AM   #34
Derek.Hale
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328d F30

F30 328d

Hear a progressively worse sounding vibration that was almost like something behind the firewall. I know the N47T fixed the timing chain issue but that was my first thought. Kept getting worse at idle as well as very slow speed (letting off the brake and letting the car power itself speeds) and would go away once some throttle was applied.
I knew the cowl needed to be replaced since the rubber against the windshield was eaten up by the heat/sun; it was on my list of items to fix. Full time college student so I'm on a budget lol.

I pushed near the grommets and could get some play and a pop sound. I used a trim removal tool to pry up the top of cowl near windshield and shoved a few 2" orings under the cowl near the grommets until there was very little play and no popping I could produce by pushing it.
Drove it around for about an hour and the sound was basically gone.

Cowl kit (cowl and new grommets) just got bumped up on the list!
Part #: 51717258177KT
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2021, 09:15 PM   #35
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by James-335dx View Post
Quote:

I am starting to think that is the culprit too. If I press at like 6:00 position ie below the steering wheel and above my knees it settles the rattle
Appreciate 0