F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > B58 Log Review Thread
Studio RSR

12-01-2019, 06:13 AM   #221
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sµpreme View Post
Would like to start sharing some logs from JB4 but wanted to see how you guys prefer to see, format etc. Do you prefer to see the graph view instead of the data values? If so, can I just save a screenshot to Imgur and paste the link to my post like this:
Log from 3rd gear, @2500 rpm (deleted)

Also, I can toggle some additional values onto the graph if I'm missing some critical stuff.

FYI, this is JB4 Map 3, MHD E85 BEF running about 40% E85/60% 93 octane.
Any suggestions welcome.
Thx
T.
actual data is more helpful than a screenshot. If you can pull csv data, upload it to datazap.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 04:05 PM   #222
Supr3me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Your mom crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
actual data is more helpful than a screenshot. If you can pull csv data, upload it to datazap.
OK cool, let me know if this works.

https://datazap.me/u/tnilson/map-3-pull-2500-rpm?log=0&data=1-4
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 05:00 PM   #223
OzBMR
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i

Quote:

https://datazap.me/u/tnilson/map-3-p...log=0&data=1-4
I think you'd be better off with just full MHD or BM3 OTS tune and forget about the JB4, unless you want to use JB4 just as a meth controller.

AFR is lean, mid to high 13's at 5500 RPM and ignition timing is poor for E40 at 15.5 PSI boost, average of about 10 degrees at 5800 RPM, should be closer to 16 up top and your boost is a bit low.
Quarter mile 10.93@127mph
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 09:14 PM   #224
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:

https://datazap.me/u/tnilson/map-3-p...log=0&data=1-4
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzBMR View Post
I think you'd be better off with just full MHD or BM3 OTS tune and forget about the JB4, unless you want to use JB4 just as a meth controller.

AFR is lean, mid to high 13's at 5500 RPM and ignition timing is poor for E40 at 15.5 PSI boost, average of about 10 degrees at 5800 RPM, should be closer to 16 up top and your boost is a bit low.
Yep I agree.Boost spikes to 18+ when target is 16 initially so there's a throttle closure, then when boost target goes up to 18, actual boost is 16 so it never quite hits target. AFRs are high since it's based on the OEM tune, and timing is low for the same reasons. Not that it's not making good power, but BM3 or MHD will be safer with much more room to grow.

The only thing I've seen JB4 used for sucessfully is adding boost + meth. My friend is doing +4psi on top of a BM3 tune, so it's actually targetting 20psi, then he adds meth to keep everything in check. But even then, a custom tune would be able to pull more out of it.

What map are you running? And how did you set up the MHD backend flash? Doesn't seem anything like the other E30 MHD logs that are posted in here.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 04:03 AM   #225
bacon_45
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i BM3 FBO

Didn't want to make a new post, but since a lot of people who know about these cars are chiming in here I wanted to ask why when I went to the dyno today, I couldn't do pull because the chassis malfunction light came on as well as ABS light? When it did work, I only got 398 whp on stage 2 e30 which is completely wrong... any ideas? I even put it into roller mode.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 06:12 AM   #226
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon_45 View Post
Didn't want to make a new post, but since a lot of people who know about these cars are chiming in here I wanted to ask why when I went to the dyno today, I couldn't do pull because the chassis malfunction light came on as well as ABS light? When it did work, I only got 398 whp on stage 2 e30 which is completely wrong... any ideas? I even put it into roller mode.
We did DSC off for stock pulls but then when I went stage 1 it did something similar. It would completely shut down and not let us finish a pull. After putting it into roller mode it worked perfectly, but I had to do it every single pull. After one pull and stopping, the next pull would throw codes and shut down.

If the light came on, then you likely didn't put it into roller mode properly. And like I said, we put it into roller mode and then the 2nd pull it cut out again, so we realized you had to do the button sequence every time.

If your 398whp run was a full pull to redline, then you likely had no issues. It might be a dyno that just reads low, or the fans/airflow weren't sufficient. If you are able to get back on the dyno, run logs at the same time to make sure IATs aren't climbing too far and the car isn't pulling timing. Unfortunately, dynos are hard to match apples to apples so I can't really say that 398whp is out of the question. You might have dyno'd 290whp stock on that same set of rollers.

So yeah, a lot of variables can come into play. If you have them, post your dyno/logs. That might give more info.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 08:51 AM   #227
janea1207
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

b58

Hi guys, just bought the MHD licence and stage2 map. Should I buy the monitor module for logs or to install another soft for logs? Don't want to buy it for 99€ just for logs.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 01:00 PM   #228
Supr3me
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yep I agree.Boost spikes to 18+ when target is 16 initially so there's a throttle closure, then when boost target goes up to 18, actual boost is 16 so it never quite hits target. AFRs are high since it's based on the OEM tune, and timing is low for the same reasons. Not that it's not making good power, but BM3 or MHD will be safer with much more room to grow.

The only thing I've seen JB4 used for sucessfully is adding boost + meth. My friend is doing +4psi on top of a BM3 tune, so it's actually targetting 20psi, then he adds meth to keep everything in check. But even then, a custom tune would be able to pull more out of it.

What map are you running? And how did you set up the MHD backend flash? Doesn't seem anything like the other E30 MHD logs that are posted in here.
Thanks for the feedback.
I'm running map 3 on the JB4. Terry was reviewing some logs with me a few weeks ago and had walked me up to map 4, but the fp_h was dipping a bit low so he suggested I reduce the ethanol blend a bit and switch to map 3.
Not sure what you mean by 'how did I set up the MHD bef'. I followed the directions and selected the JB4_B58_E85_3.bin file and did the flash. Took about 20 minutes and came back as a success.

Couple of additional thoughts, not sure if they have any bearing:
-I recalculated my current gas tank blend and I'm probably closer to an E40 mixture.
-The log I shared was the first pull on that drive. I was at operating temp and everything, but I've read that you should do a few pulls before taking a log, in order for learning and adaptations to occur. I can do some additional pulls later but the roads are bad right now, lots of snow and ice.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 01:36 PM   #229
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.
I'm running map 3 on the JB4. Terry was reviewing some logs with me a few weeks ago and had walked me up to map 4, but the fp_h was dipping a bit low so he suggested I reduce the ethanol blend a bit and switch to map 3.
Not sure what you mean by 'how did I set up the MHD bef'. I followed the directions and selected the JB4_B58_E85_3.bin file and did the flash. Took about 20 minutes and came back as a success.

Couple of additional thoughts, not sure if they have any bearing:
-I recalculated my current gas tank blend and I'm probably closer to an E40 mixture.
-The log I shared was the first pull on that drive. I was at operating temp and everything, but I've read that you should do a few pulls before taking a log, in order for learning and adaptations to occur. I can do some additional pulls later but the roads are bad right now, lots of snow and ice.
I ask because I think there are a couple ways to do the MHD BEF. You can have the MHD tune base while JB4 is in the background, or vice versa. It seems like the MHD tune is in the background in your case, because the logs look more like a JB4 log than an MHD log. Their E30 blend files target much higher timing as I've documented in the 2nd post of this thread. The JB4 flash that you did can't do what the MHD tune can.

So using that as a baseline, I'd say that you have a lot of room to increase power, driveability, and safety if you switch JB4 to map 0 or whatever the off map is and flash the MHD E30 file normally so that it runs the show. No reason to incrementally bump the JB4 maps when you have a properly dialed OTS map at your disposal. Then the JB4 is solely there for failsafes and you can log with MHD instead. I know Terry offers the maps for free and it seems like a nice pickup, but it's not worth it. JB4 is just an inferior platform to use at this point. Personally, I'd ditch it unless you're going to use it for auxilliary fueling or meth.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 04:19 PM   #230
OzBMR
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by janea1207 View Post
Hi guys, just bought the MHD licence and stage2 map. Should I buy the monitor module for logs or to install another soft for logs? Don't want to buy it for 99€ just for logs.
You should get the MHD monitor module. It's better than anything else I've used. Set it up with the items you want to log, the default settings are good, you may just want to add a few extra things to log.

Also I recommend the auto logging function which only records to file when you depress the accelerator greater than 50% and it then records data about 30 seconds prior to that point and about 30 seconds after the pedal goes back below 50%. This makes searching for and looking at data logs so much easier and quicker.

Gauges function is also good. I use the 2 x 3 layout and have boost (manifold), fuel rail pressure, AFR, coolant temp, oil temp and timing (Cyl 1) All of them on digital display and they show actual and min and max values.

Last edited by OzBMR; 12-02-2019 at 05:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2019, 04:50 PM   #231
bacon_45
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i BM3 FBO

Quote:
We did DSC off for stock pulls but then when I went stage 1 it did something similar. It would completely shut down and not let us finish a pull. After putting it into roller mode it worked perfectly, but I had to do it every single pull. After one pull and stopping, the next pull would throw codes and shut down.

If the light came on, then you likely didn't put it into roller mode properly. And like I said, we put it into roller mode and then the 2nd pull it cut out again, so we realized you had to do the button sequence every time.

If your 398whp run was a full pull to redline, then you likely had no issues. It might be a dyno that just reads low, or the fans/airflow weren't sufficient. If you are able to get back on the dyno, run logs at the same time to make sure IATs aren't climbing too far and the car isn't pulling timing. Unfortunately, dynos are hard to match apples to apples so I can't really say that 398whp is out of the question. You might have dyno'd 290whp stock on that same set of rollers.

So yeah, a lot of variables can come into play. If you have them, post your dyno/logs. That might give more info.
The weird part is when I first went bm3 stage 2 93, I did 423 on that same dyno. All of sudden I started getting these problems...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 05:16 PM   #232
janea1207
Private First Class
Rep

monitor module

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzBMR View Post
Quote:
You should get the MHD monitor module. It's better than anything else I've used. Set it up with the items you want to log, the default settings are good, you may just want to add a few extra things to log.

Also I recommend the auto logging function which only records to file when you depress the accelerator greater than 50% and it then records data about 30 seconds prior to that point and about 30 seconds after the pedal goes back below 50%. This makes searching for and looking at data logs so much easier and quicker.

Gauges function is also good. I use the 2 x 3 layout and have boost (manifold), fuel rail pressure, AFR, coolant temp, oil temp and timing (Cyl 1) All of them on digital display and they show actual and min and max values.
but this gauges works just when the cable Dcan connect in smartphone?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 07:04 PM   #233
OzBMR
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Yes via the cable, or you can get the new WI-FI adapter if you prefer cable free.
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2019, 07:06 PM   #234
Supr3me
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have this same question. I just invested in the JB4 Bluetooth adapter and I love how easy it is to connect to JB4 for logging. From what I can tell, everything you said is available on MHD logging module (auto log, configurable gauges, etc) is available with the JB4 app, plus the advantages of a Bluetooth connection.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 07:35 PM   #235
OzBMR
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I have this same question. I just invested in the JB4 Bluetooth adapter and I love how easy it is to connect to JB4 for logging. From what I can tell, everything you said is available on MHD logging module (auto log, configurable gauges, etc) is available with the JB4 app, plus the advantages of a Bluetooth connection.
WIFI will have more bandwidth than Bluetooth, so better data resolution for logging and more channels can be logged simultaneously. The MHD adapter also can be used for flashing maps for both MHD for the DME and xHP for the gearbox.
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2019, 01:29 AM   #236
janea1207
Private First Class
Rep

B58 Log

others programs maybe can install for logs? Do you know wich one? Or to buy the mhd monitor module (100€) is single way?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 07:24 AM   #237
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon_45 View Post
The weird part is when I first went bm3 stage 2 93, I did 423 on that same dyno. All of sudden I started getting these problems...
Ok so in that case, you need to start investigating. Could be a boost leak, bad maf, bad plugs, etc. Again, make sure you run logs if you get back on the rollers. All we can do is shoot in the dark at this point.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 07:25 AM   #238
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
others programs maybe can install for logs? Do you know wich one? Or to buy the mhd monitor module (100€) is single way?
Are you buying the MHD tuner? I had no idea the logging software was separate, that's pretty strange. Why would you want to get different logging software?
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2019, 02:58 PM   #239
janea1207
Private First Class
Rep

b58

Quote:
Quote:
Are you buying the MHD tuner? I had no idea the logging software was separate, that's pretty strange. Why would you want to get different logging software?
I was thinking if it worth 99€ for MHD monitor module - just for logs. Maybe there is another free program for it? But today already bought this monitor (because didn't find any answer about others programs for logs.
Now in few days will install the downpipe in my 2016 340i and flash with MHD stage2.
Will post here the logs
Sorry for my English
Appreciate 2
OzBMR574.50
kern4174442.00
      12-03-2019, 05:41 PM   #240
Supr3me
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I ask because I think there are a couple ways to do the MHD BEF. You can have the MHD tune base while JB4 is in the background, or vice versa. It seems like the MHD tune is in the background in your case, because the logs look more like a JB4 log than an MHD log. Their E30 blend files target much higher timing as I've documented in the 2nd post of this thread. The JB4 flash that you did can't do what the MHD tune can.

So using that as a baseline, I'd say that you have a lot of room to increase power, driveability, and safety if you switch JB4 to map 0 or whatever the off map is and flash the MHD E30 file normally so that it runs the show. No reason to incrementally bump the JB4 maps when you have a properly dialed OTS map at your disposal. Then the JB4 is solely there for failsafes and you can log with MHD instead. I know Terry offers the maps for free and it seems like a nice pickup, but it's not worth it. JB4 is just an inferior platform to use at this point. Personally, I'd ditch it unless you're going to use it for auxilliary fueling or meth.
Was thinking about this today and wondered if EWG was part of the issue. I was operating on some older Intel and didn't think I needed it but read recently that it's recommended for BEF. I don't think I did the flash wrong, I had the JB4 set to map 0 when I flashed. Could the issues be related to missing the EWG add on?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 05:56 AM   #241
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
I was thinking if it worth 99€ for MHD monitor module - just for logs. Maybe there is another free program for it? But today already bought this monitor (because didn't find any answer about others programs for logs.
Now in few days will install the downpipe in my 2016 340i and flash with MHD stage2.
Will post here the logs
Sorry for my English
i think that's the best route regardless of the cost. the two will work together seamlessly.

Quote:
Was thinking about this today and wondered if EWG was part of the issue. I was operating on some older Intel and didn't think I needed it but read recently that it's recommended for BEF. I don't think I did the flash wrong, I had the JB4 set to map 0 when I flashed. Could the issues be related to missing the EWG add on?
My JB4 knowledge is little to none so I can't help much there. But changing JB4 maps should build on top of the MHD maps where yours still looks like it's building on stock. I would expect it to at least put out more boost than MHD Stage 2. But as far as the add-ons and extra wires, I'm not sure. I would have assumed it would work out of the box for these purposes.

Do the JB4 ethanol maps overwrite the original maps? So your Map 3 isn't the same as the original one? That might be your issue too, if the JB4 tune that you put on it is deliberately less aggressive than their 93 tune to compensate for the additional E85.

Sorry, on this one I'm just not as well versed in how it all works.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 12:52 PM   #242
Supr3me
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
i think that's the best route regardless of the cost. the two will work together seamlessly.

My JB4 knowledge is little to none so I can't help much there. But changing JB4 maps should build on top of the MHD maps where yours still looks like it's building on stock. I would expect it to at least put out more boost than MHD Stage 2. But as far as the add-ons and extra wires, I'm not sure. I would have assumed it would work out of the box for these purposes.

Do the JB4 ethanol maps overwrite the original maps? So your Map 3 isn't the same as the original one? That might be your issue too, if the JB4 tune that you put on it is deliberately less aggressive than their 93 tune to compensate for the additional E85.

Sorry, on this one I'm just not as well versed in how it all works.
I'm not too sure either but the consensus seems to be that the JB4 is fucking up my world so I just ordered the MHD wifi adapter and will work on yanking the JB4 out this weekend and reflash with just MHD. Chatted with Ken from Wedge a bit too and I think I'm gonna work with them on some custom tuning, see what we can do.
Posted the JB4 on the member classifieds 😏
Appreciate 1
kern4174442.00