F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Yet another service/maintenance thread [2017 330i]
Extreme Powerhouse

05-14-2020, 07:59 PM   #1
southpaw92
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i

Lightbulb Yet another service/maintenance thread [2017 330i]

Hi Everyone, I got a CPO 2017 330i in August last year with 16.5K miles on it. Current mileage is about 20K miles, overall car works great and I am happy with my purchase.

My oil service and vehicle inspection check are due since April which I haven't been able to get done due to Covid-19 related lockdown. Now with restrictions easing down I am planning to get them done. Being a first time BMW owner I have a some questions for the experienced folks here:

1. How much on an average do you pay for above services at a dealership? ( I am in Northern California if that helps)
2. What other service/parts/clean-ups does service guys at dealerships try to upsell when you go in, which one of them are useful/worth the money?

[Dumb question] Can I get these service done at an independent BMW mechanic shop and still be under warranty? I have found https://www.bimmershops.com/ list some shops in my area. Ideally instead of paying severe $$$ to a dealership, I would like to find a good mechanic to build a long working relationship with.

Slightly long term maintenance questions:
1. My 4 year factory warranty will go out in September this year, I am aware that some dealerships will contact to schedule an inspection to fix anything that can covered under warranty. Any advise/experience to for that? I probably wont reach more than 24K miles until then and don't want to be taken for a ride just because warranty is going out. I am all for pre-emptive repairs if warranty covers that or is required.

2. Similarly I believe at the end of one year CPO warranty there is same inspection (with whatever limited coverage in that warranty). Same question as above.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 09:33 PM   #2
orbE46
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i & 325Ci

For the warranty, I like one idea I saw suggested. Find a reputable local indy and pay them $100 to go over the car with a fine toothed comb. Then bring their findings to the dealer and have them replace anything problematic found. Doubt you'd have really anything needing to be replaced at 20k though? Might be a better idea to do that at the end of the CPO warranty. I went in a few weeks ago because my Start button was peeling, factory warranty covered it. I suggest looking for little things like that. (ie. sticky handles, trim wear, etc.)

As for things commonly pushed at dealers, filters are a big item. You can get OEM Engine/Cabin air filters all over the place online for way less than the dealer. Super easy items to replace and save on.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2020, 01:05 PM   #3
southpaw92
Rep

What's the recommended air filter and cabin air filter change time for F30?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 01:30 PM   #4
frazervalley
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive

Congrats on your new to you vehicle. You should have in your glove box a maintenance and service manual that details recommended service for your vehicle. It could be a separate booklet from the basic owners manual. It’s a good place to start for basic information.
If you enjoy reading, the owners manual describes some cool features that you may not even know about. Little things too, like how not to damage your hood when changing your windshield wiper blades.

Enjoy your new ride!
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      05-17-2020, 01:39 PM   #5
orbE46
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i & 325Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw92 View Post
What's the recommended air filter and cabin air filter change time for F30?
Anywhere from 20-30k depending on climate. If you live in a dusty area, lean toward the lower end. Filters are cheap enough.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 04:46 PM   #6
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014-320Xi / 2017-330Xi

Garage List
I keep records of all service visits to dealer and independent shop, and take notes of what was done, the date, the mileage and the cost. Including visits for recalls. Very simple Excel file.
Maybe useful for some people, you can add the price you paid and the price you sold the car, then you have a good figure of how much you expend with your car along the time you keep that. Some people even add refueling. I don't go to that level of detail.
Anyway I built this for two E90 that I had and now building for two F30 in our family.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2020, 11:59 PM   #7
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabloxxi View Post
I keep records of all service visits to dealer and independent shop, and take notes of what was done, the date, the mileage and the cost. Including visits for recalls. Very simple Excel file.
Maybe useful for some people, you can add the price you paid and the price you sold the car, then you have a good figure of how much you expend with your car along the time you keep that. Some people even add refueling. I don't go to that level of detail.
Anyway I built this for two E90 that I had and now building for two F30 in our family.
I keep same type of spreadsheet; I buy my Bimmers used, from original owner and eventually resell the car myself at its end of life (for my use).

I always send the spreadsheet (in pdf format) along to any prospective buyer when I'm in sales mode/ great sales tool that few people ever think to compile. Full service & repair records at a glance. Demonstrates I'm a diligent owner who cares enough to carefully track my cars service and repair history.

I keep all receipts also to show/give to next owner.
Appreciate 2
      05-18-2020, 12:05 AM   #8
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014-320Xi / 2017-330Xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
I keep same type of spreadsheet; I buy my Bimmers used, from original owner and eventually resell the car myself at its end of life (for my use).

I always send the spreadsheet (in pdf format) along to any prospective buyer when I'm in sales mode/ great sales tool that few people ever think to compile. Full service & repair records at a glance.
Yes, a great feature that demonstrates you are organized and keep good records. However some buyers may be scared when realize the maintenance costs.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 07:19 AM   #9
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabloxxi View Post
Quote:

I always send the spreadsheet (in pdf format) along to any prospective buyer when I'm in sales mode/ great sales tool that few people ever think to compile. Full service & repair records at a glance.
Yes, a great feature that demonstrates you are organized and keep good records. However some buyers may be scared when realize the maintenance costs.
Perhaps, in my experience most appreciate having the details- many of my cars had very high mileage at time of sale...175K or more, so buyer could clearly see potential future expenditures that had been addressed or those future items that may be needed- the buyer knew what he was getting into with purchase. Buyer was confident he/she was dealing with an honest seller. Overall they were informed, which is good for both parties.

Most, but certainly not all, buyers were knowledgeable of Bimmers, so they appreciated having all details documented. Cars I sold were typically 15+ years old. (sample spreadsheet attached for my current X3...it's not very old car, yet)
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 12_BMW_X3.pdf (657.8 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by Wgosma; 05-18-2020 at 08:06 AM..
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      05-18-2020, 07:58 AM   #10
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6-spd

Hmmm? I'm vaguely remembering a southpaw from e46fanatics, though I guess there could be many.

In case you didn't know, some links that might help you someday:

realoem.com for every part number
newtis.info more service info than you'll ever need
fcpeuro.com for when you diy and need parts (highly recommend both for many reasons.)

Drive safe!

dmax on FB

My last pre-covid standup set
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 09:22 AM   #11
adhrp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i (G30)/2021 X3 (G02)

Quote:
Perhaps, in my experience most appreciate having the details- many of my cars had very high mileage at time of sale...175K or more, so buyer could clearly see potential future expenditures that had been addressed or those future items that may be needed- the buyer knew what he was getting into with purchase. Buyer was confident he/she was dealing with an honest seller. Overall they were informed, which is good for both parties.

Most, but certainly not all, buyers were knowledgeable of Bimmers, so they appreciated having all details documented. Cars I sold were typically 15+ years old. (sample spreadsheet attached for my current X3...it's not very old car, yet)
I have a near-identical spreadsheet for my car along with copies of all receipts. I have no plans to sell this car anytime soon, but when the time comes, let's see if this record-keeping helps with the sale. Mostly though, as someone who likes data/analysis, I am just doing it for myself to longitudinally track my maintenance/repair work and costs.

Sold/Retired: 2012 328i (F30)
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 09:24 AM   #12
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

Go to your local dealer's website.

Click on service or specials.

There's usually a coupon.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 11:23 AM   #13
southpaw92
Rep

Thanks Pabloxxi and Wgosma for the great tip, I will definitely start maintaining my own service record.

dmaxdmax I am pretty new to Bimmer's . Thanks a ton for the resources! I plan to start DIY sometime. Would you recommend waiting until factory warranty expires? Or its just about my skills with the tools.
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      05-18-2020, 11:29 AM   #14
southpaw92
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviantspeed View Post
Go to your local dealer's website.

Click on service or specials.

There's usually a coupon.
I saw them, most of them generally have a catch (one only, first time customer, "recommended service") and surprisingly don't reflect the price of the same service at dealership. As a reference attached was what the finance lady at dealership shared with me when she pushed me to buy the maintenance package from them.

My impression from general internet reading was that there is always an upside for the dealership, so I didnt buy any of those extra stuff.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      05-18-2020, 12:35 PM   #15
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

Almost a grand for brakes?

And that's just pads, extra discs 970-1495 WTF

I'd run away from this dealer if that's the "discounted" price. Wow, just wow.
Appreciate 0