F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW 328d Active SCR Tank replacement
GetBMWParts

08-24-2018, 12:31 PM   #1
Bocy75
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

BMW 328d Active SCR Tank replacement

Hey Folks,

I have a 2014 328d Xdrive with 72K in it. Engine code: N47D20O1.
(Isn't she beautiful?)
It is a lot, I know, but every weekend this car goes around 3-400 miles.
Anyway, several weeks ago, I got the message on the I drive and on the cluster:
"diesel exhaust fluid is low, car will not start in 1000 miles"
I checked the fluid level, it was almost full, as I was a little after my oil change period, when I always top it then - I ALWAYS use genuine BMW DEF fluid, not that it really matters with DEF.
The system seems to be working, as I measured roughly around 3% of DEF fluid / Diesel consumption, so it is up to the standards. Now I'm down to a hundred miles left to drive.

After a short while, check engine light came up, ODB II code is: “P203e Reductant Level Sensor Circuit Intermittent / Erratic”
I cleared the engine light twice, it came back after around 50 miles of driving.
I took it to the local BMW dealer to diagnose the issue. It turns out, that the fault is with the SCR active level sensor, that is a part of the Active tank. Only fix for the SCR sensor, is to replace the tank itself.
FYI: MFG 16197260216 for the active tank.
As this part has no warranty extension on it either by BMW or Emissions, the cost would be around $2350. OUCH!

After some research on this forum - and others - it looks like that this was a fairly common issue on the previous models, but not with cars made after 2012.

Also - during my research - I've saw a thread, where someone claimed, that a firmware updated to a newer US version in his vehicle - to adjust the sensor's "tolerance" for extreme cold / hot / humid conditions - had cleared the issue. Unfortunately - for the life of me - I can't find it now, but once I do, I'll post the link to this thread.

I can get the tank - Genuine BMW - for around $900.

As it is a very expensive repair - especially, as I NEVER had any problem with my Beauty before - I won't mind to DIY replace the active tank. the Instructions are clear, and pretty straightforward. Here they are:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ogy/1VnXfhOrST

Questions:

1: The dealership claims, that they have to program the vehicle to accept the new tank and the sensor, that - obviously - I couldn't do myself at home.
If this is the case – although I didn’t see any reference in the instructions - it'd be still significantly cheaper, to replace the tank myself, and tow my Little Beauty to the dealership to reprogram it.

2: I think that it would worth doing the firmware update prior to any extensive / expensive service, but my dealer claims, that is not an option / fix for this issue.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 04:46 PM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

First, you're in CT, a California emissions state. Warranty on emissions parts goes to 7/70K, so you should ask for a goodwill replacement.

Second, while they re-designed the active tank sensors, they've always been a problem, looks like the re-design hasn't solved any problems. There's a DEF control module that might need to be re-programmed (not very sure on that) if the tank is replaced.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 06:31 PM   #3
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Isn't the tank considered part of the emissions control system? I think you may have extended warranty on the emissions system...don't know for sure but maybe check. Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 04:27 PM   #4
Bocy75
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Here is the update, I finally had the SCR tank replaced with the sensor in it. No ODB code, test shows the tank full. Will drive it another 10k and see, if that really cleared the issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 10:59 PM   #5
mitchali2na
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 328D

Having the same issue. Ready to rip into the task, but the instructional link on this thread isn’t valid any longer. Do you have any information on tackling this job?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 11:47 AM   #6
AD24
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocy75 View Post
Here is the update, I finally had the SCR tank replaced with the sensor in it. No ODB code, test shows the tank full. Will drive it another 10k and see, if that really cleared the issue.
Did you replace it yourself?

The link you shared no longer works.

Not finding any extended warranty available for my 14 328d.

Dealer wants 3,100 to replace tank and dosing line.

I am at 112k and want to cry.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 06:07 PM   #7
heavy_D
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F15 35d daily, Q5 TDI wife's

Also curious if you replaced it yourself? Have a faulty level sensor on the active tank, and looking to see if it's possible just to replace the sensor and not the tank.
Appreciate 0