F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > differential fluid leak on 340
ARMA SPEED

11-26-2021, 08:49 PM   #1
khanmohammed
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CS

differential fluid leak on 340

So I have been running xHp Stage 2 trans tune for the past few weeks, absolutely loving it. Took my car to the dealership today to get a brake screech issue looked at and they also found a differential fluid leak near the front. No idea what caused it, does the differential sit lower to the ground and more prone to get hit if go over a harsh bump? I'm guessing it was either that or something related to the line pressure increase on the transmission caused the leak.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 08:56 PM   #2
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by khanmohammed View Post
So I have been running xHp Stage 2 trans tune for the past few weeks, absolutely loving it. Took my car to the dealership today to get a brake screech issue looked at and they also found a differential fluid leak near the front. No idea what caused it, does the differential sit lower to the ground and more prone to get hit if go over a harsh bump? I'm guessing it was either that or something related to the line pressure increase on the transmission caused the leak.
transmission has nothing to do with front diff. just bad seal from the factory, the gasket is going bad. more common on the rear actually. I have to do my rear in the spring.
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 1
johnung4510.50
      11-27-2021, 05:31 PM   #3
khanmohammed
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom10R View Post
Quote:
transmission has nothing to do with front diff. just bad seal from the factory, the gasket is going bad. more common on the rear actually. I have to do my rear in the spring.
Yep that's weird though I'm only at 17k miles, dealership didn't even know how to fix it so they reached out to corporate engineering team Lol
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 07:10 PM   #4
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yep that's weird though I'm only at 17k miles, dealership didn't even know how to fix it so they reached out to corporate engineering team Lol
What do you mean the dealership didn't know how to fix a leaking differential? THAT'S weird. There's only a handful of places it could leak from and all of them have gaskets…..and you're not even under warranty because you modded your car so they could just tell you your diff is shot and you need a new one. What could "corporate engineering" possibly have to say to them?…are you sure they didn't say "we see your front diff is leaking but we also saw your tranny was tuned so we don't know if your diff is under warranty anymore. We have to call "corporate engineering" to see what they say". And you didn't hit anything with your diff. If you did, you would know immediately and without question…. Plus you'd have a ripped to shit under carriage cover and front bumper as the diff sits higher than the bottom of the bumper
      11-27-2021, 09:39 PM   #5
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdangelo View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What do you mean the dealership didn't know how to fix a leaking differential? THAT'S weird. There's only a handful of places it could leak from and all of them have gaskets…..and you're not even under warranty because you modded your car so they could just tell you your diff is shot and you need a new one. What could "corporate engineering" possibly have to say to them?…are you sure they didn't say "we see your front diff is leaking but we also saw your tranny was tuned so we don't know if your diff is under warranty anymore. We have to call "corporate engineering" to see what they say". And you didn't hit anything with your diff. If you did, you would know immediately and without question…. Plus you'd have a ripped to shit under carriage cover and front bumper as the diff sits higher than the bottom of the bumper
It actually might not be that unusual that typical dealership mechanics don't have experience with an F30 rear differential. I found this to be the case when I bought a BMW M Performance LSD and looked for dealerships and independent shops to install it.

Differentials are pretty bulletproof until they get high mileage so mechanics who have replaced differentials have mostly done so on E-Series cars. Those differentials are much easier to work on. The driveshafts are attached with simple bolts. The F-Series driveshafts require special tools because they use a circlip that runs in a groove on the shaft.

My independent BMW shop mechanics were baffled when I brought them my LSD. They were BMW factory trained with decades of experience but the F-Series differential was a new design and it was the first one that they had gotten their hands on. It took them a couple of days to research and to obtain the special tools
Appreciate 0