F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > AFE Power Mach Force Cat-Back Exhaust
Extreme Powerhouse

08-16-2018, 06:02 PM   #45
Kevin_Trxn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2010 View Post
Has anyone installed a cat back on a awd model because they don’t have make it for a awd model and already purchased it for my car?
Either find an AWD exhaust or go to a custom exhaust shop to make it fit.
It should be straight forward as it's just a straight pipe until the muffler.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 09:41 AM   #46
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Trxn View Post
Either find an AWD exhaust or go to a custom exhaust shop to make it fit.
It should be straight forward as it's just a straight pipe until the muffler.
Agreed, a good exhaust shop can modify it fairly easily for probably a few hours of labor.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 10:35 PM   #47
ctbear
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i m-sport

So is anyone running this exhaust on their F30 N55 335i?

https://afepower.com/afe-power-49-36...exhaust-system

Any reviews?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 03:26 PM   #48
TheJungatron
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD- USA

Very interested to see if a 335i can run this. The AFE website states that it can...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbear View Post
So is anyone running this exhaust on their F30 N55 335i?

https://afepower.com/afe-power-49-36...exhaust-system

Any reviews?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 05:51 PM   #49
ctbear
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungatron View Post
Very interested to see if a 335i can run this. The AFE website states that it can...
Seems like it is pricey compared to other exhausts on the market so don't see many people, if any, running these.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 01:58 PM   #50
codestar
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Model S P100D

Garage List
Quote:
Seems like it is pricey compared to other exhausts on the market so don't see many people, if any, running these.
I have the axle back version on order for my 435i xdrive. I plan to do a resonator delete, which I understand would make it essentially the same as the catback. The full catback version says not compatible with xdrive, and I think the res delete is cheaper to do for the same result.

The N55 axleback part # is 49-36336-B. This is the valved one not the original which is part # 49-36325-B.

Will post back when it is complete!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 02:09 PM   #51
ctbear
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by codestar View Post
I have the axle back version on order for my 435i xdrive. I plan to do a resonator delete, which I understand would make it essentially the same as the catback. The full catback version says not compatible with xdrive, and I think the res delete is cheaper to do for the same result.

The N55 axleback part # is 49-36336-B. This is the valved one not the original which is part # 49-36325-B.

Awesome. Can you post a stock vs. before res-delete vs. after res-delete video?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 04:23 PM   #52
codestar
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Awesome. Can you post a stock vs. before res-delete vs. after res-delete video?
Haven't deleted the resonator yet. Decided to wait until the muffler sound settles and then getting a fabspeed dp. If it's still not where I want it after the downpipe then I'm going to remove the resonator.

Here's a cold start comparison I just made. Hoping to get a warm revs and drive-by video this weekend done

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 04:45 PM   #53
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

Quote:
Haven't deleted the resonator yet. Decided to wait until the muffler sound settles and then getting a fabspeed dp. If it's still not where I want it after the downpipe then I'm going to remove the resonator.

Here's a cold start comparison I just made. Hoping to get a warm revs and drive-by video this weekend done
Thanks for making the vid, sounds good. Does it get significantly more quiet in comfort/eco mode? Wondering how much control you actually are getting out of the valve for this Axleback
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 09:46 AM   #54
Kevin_Trxn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlev View Post
Quote:

Thanks for making the vid, sounds good. Does it get significantly more quiet in comfort/eco mode? Wondering how much control you actually are getting out of the valve for this Axleback
I believe what you heard in his video is the valves closed.

It takes a bit for the car to warm up and open the valves.

On my 340i with the cat back
It makes a pretty good difference.
Valves closed there isn't any backfire(pops)
And you don't hear it much cruising around.
Its louder than stock but a notch or two.

valves open and standing outside its a different story.

Our cars are quiet as in on the inside.
So all you hear with windows up and valves open is more roar; you can still have a conversation.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 01:14 PM   #55
ctbear
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Nice. Thanks for the video. Sounds like cold start (valve closed) is louder than stock. Can you do a longer startup video that way the valve is given enough time to open? thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 01:31 PM   #56
codestar
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Nice. Thanks for the video. Sounds like cold start (valve closed) is louder than stock. Can you do a longer startup video that way the valve is given enough time to open? thanks
Was planning on a more in depth vid after my work trip. Actually just got the resonator cut out so it's a fair bit louder now as well. Problem is the shop I used backed my car into another car, and I'll have to send my car into the autobody for a week after I get back for a new bumper, paint, and taillight :

I'll be getting to it after!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 02:55 PM   #57
codestar
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I just bent the clip that connects the valve motor and the flap to put more pressure on the flap when close

I tried to reset the motor but that doesn't seem to budge
I also tried to unscrew and reposition the bracket but that was too much of and adjustment

So I went with bending the clip and it worked out nicely
I actually just had this happen this morning. Think you could message me the correspondence with afe? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 09:07 AM   #58
ctbear
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I actually just had this happen this morning. Think you could message me the correspondence with afe? Thanks!
Hope they were able to fix your car. Any updates on the exhaust? Any new videos of it with the valve open and some revs? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 12:05 PM   #59
codestar
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I just bent the clip that connects the valve motor and the flap to put more pressure on the flap when close

I also tried to unscrew and reposition the bracket but that was too much of and adjustment

Tried this last night. Still having a rattle, but it's only on medium-ish acceleration just before the valve opens over 2k rpm. I think it's the exhaust pressure from the bm3 stage 2 tune. Unfortunately the rattle happens quite a bit in stop and go. Also doesn't happen at all when revving while stationary.

Still open to ideas to fix this
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 02:05 PM   #60
Kevin_Trxn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Tried this last night. Still having a rattle, but it's only on medium-ish acceleration just before the valve opens over 2k rpm. I think it's the exhaust pressure from the bm3 stage 2 tune. Unfortunately the rattle happens quite a bit in stop and go. Also doesn't happen at all when revving while stationary.

How much did u bend the clip?

I had to unscrew the Emotor slip the bent clip into the slots and twist the whole Emotor assembly and screw back into place. There is a good amount of pressure keeping my flap closed and there was no way for me to slip the clip in without taking out the Emotor
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 02:06 PM   #61
Kevin_Trxn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I had to unscrew the Emotor slip the bent clip into the slots and twist the whole Emotor assembly and screw back into place. There is a good amount of pressure keeping my flap closed and there was no way for me to slip the clip in without taking out the Emotor
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 05:06 PM   #62
codestar
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I bent the fixing bow to be pretty much identical to the one you posted a photo of. Didn't have to unscrew the motor though, it is in its default position
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 09:33 AM   #63
Kevin_Trxn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I bent the fixing bow to be pretty much identical to the one you posted a photo of. Didn't have to unscrew the motor though, it is in its default position
If you were able to get the clip on without removing the Emotor then you may not have enough pressure. I would recommend trying to unscrew the bracket and the Emotor and use the holes provided to mount the bracket more clockwise than oem
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 09:38 PM   #64
codestar
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If you were able to get the clip on without removing the Emotor then you may not have enough pressure. I would recommend trying to unscrew the bracket and the Emotor and use the holes provided to mount the bracket more clockwise than oem
I'll try and crawl under and mess around more tomorrow and hopefully get it better. I added a vibrant 1142 resonator and it made the exhaust sound waaaaay better but the valve still sounds really annoying.

Here's comfort:

And here's sport+
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 08:41 PM   #65
misguided_will
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i M Sport

this exhaust looks good except for the widespread rattle and fitment issue.

can anyone else confirm if they had alignment issues with the tips when installing?

when does afe usually do sales? 25% off would be amazing.