F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Buzzing from B pillar
proTUNING Freaks

07-17-2018, 03:10 AM   #1
Gurvini
Private
Rep
Drives: 16' 318D M Sport

Buzzing from B pillar

Hi all, I previously had the dreaded door seal noises which I temporarily fixed with gummi pledge so I'm happy with that. However I now I have been experiencing buzzing noise coming from the B pillar right next to my head. It's difficult to say whether it's the trim or something else.

If there's a high pitched noise on the radio it'll crackle/buzz next to my head or even going over rough roads mainly motorway at higher speeds it'll appear then too.

Please tell me someone else has had this and have found a fix?

TIA
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 03:24 AM   #2
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

I had a buzzy / rattle noise in mine which only happened occasionally and I tracked it down to the plastic door lock pin wher it pops up through the door trim.

Pin is hard plastic as is the surround and just rattles around at times, may not be the same as you're experiencing but worth a try to see.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 07:18 AM   #3
Mr NSB
Captain
Rep
Drives: 420d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscoob View Post
I had a buzzy / rattle noise in mine which only happened occasionally and I tracked it down to the plastic door lock pin wher it pops up through the door trim.

Pin is hard plastic as is the surround and just rattles around at times, may not be the same as you're experiencing but worth a try to see.
I have had this. The plastic part that surrounds the door lock button has 3 or 4 small tags inside that push against the button and they sometimes break and the button moves about slightly causing the rattle.

See item 15. https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_8523
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 08:09 AM   #4
Gurvini
Private
Rep

I believe I have located the issue..

Turned the radio on and turned it up real loud when people were talking and quite often when it was a higher pitched noise it would buzz just above the B pillar (above my head) I pressed against it with my hand and it stopped..

So it seems like it's the anthracite headliner possibly rubbing or vibrating against something.

As for the radio being on and people talking I don't know? maybe there's more vibration when it's talking rather than music... but also makes sense as to why it happens when I'm driving on rougher roads at higher speeds of 70+ i.e. motorway.

Going to jam some foam between the plastic trim and headliner tonight when I get home...lets see if that potentially eliminates the noise for good.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 02:46 AM   #5
Gurvini
Private
Rep

So.. on my drive to work it seems the noise has returned. It's not all the time, but it's bloody annoying!

It seems like it's a type of static vibrating from behind the cluster area/centre console and the drivers and passenger side b pillars/doors.

I have now applied gummi pflege (again) in hope that it may rectify the issue. However, I think this may be the cause of a much bigger problem?

Someone previously mentioned it may be a loose wire behind the centre console? I don't think it's that type of static noise and I'm sure that would be a lot louder than what I am currently getting.

Not sure what to do... I could take it to BMW but it would be a lot of hassle trying to prove the noise to them.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 06:18 PM   #6
higgy
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP

I have this on my M3. As I did creaky door seals. That’s fixed now. This noise is Intermittent, but seems to happen when travelling at speed and radio is loud. Seems like it’s a speaker / static type noise just above my ear slightly behind me around the b pillar. Obviously there is no speaker there so it’s not! Like you can’t be arsed taking to BMW trying to show them etc .. frustrating .. as is my boot not closing / reopening on an adhoc basis and my I drive going nuts every now and again. Whenever I take to the dealer the faults don’t show themselves.... typical ....
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 08:46 AM   #7
Gurvini
Private
Rep

So I took my door cards off and applied an extra piece of homemade foam washers I made from a foam block (literally square pieces of foam cut up) and that didn’t do the trick.
Took door cards off once again, applied sound deadening around the door trims and plastic window trim…sound didn’t go then.

The sound was still appearing near the locking mechanism and the rattle would go away when I put my elbow on top of the door trim. So I applied a little bit of self adhesive tape on the metal clip allocated on the door itself and the noise has gone!
The door card doesn’t sit 100% flush but it’s 99.9% good enough and at least the rattle has gone, or so I think it has!

All in all, this has wasted around 12 hours of my life, over several days.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 12:21 AM   #8
lefthander
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurvini View Post
The sound was still appearing near the locking mechanism and the rattle would go away when I put my elbow on top of the door trim. So I applied a little bit of self adhesive tape on the metal clip allocated on the door itself and the noise has gone!
The door card doesn’t sit 100% flush but it’s 99.9% good enough and at least the rattle has gone, or so I think it has!

All in all, this has wasted around 12 hours of my life, over several days.
Which metal clip did you tape? Can show you it on realoem?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 03:34 PM   #9
Gurvini
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthander View Post
Which metal clip did you tape? Can show you it on realoem?
Thanks
Well I thought the tape made a difference but it didn't, because the rattling started again but wasn't as bad.

I honestly think it may just be the whole door card and how it sits. I unclipped the top of the door card and just pressed it in again (not hard) but pushed enough to hear it clip in and I've been on 3 journeys so far and it's pretty quiet.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 04:38 PM   #10
djcowlin
Captain
Rep
Drives: G21 330e

Had this on my 330d. Occasionally tried bashing the offending area (a technique I learnt from my father) but it came and went.

I've owned much cheaper cars that had far fewer rattles and squeaks. Perhaps these are simply cars that are designed to be driven on billiard-table smooth German roads.
      07-24-2018, 05:11 PM   #11
Gurvini
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcowlin View Post
Had this on my 330d. Occasionally tried bashing the offending area (a technique I learnt from my father) but it came and went.

I've owned much cheaper cars that had far fewer rattles and squeaks. Perhaps these are simply cars that are designed to be driven on billiard-table smooth German roads.
I believe so.. when it does occur I put my elbow on the door card (how some people drive) and the sound goes. Very very poor quality to be honest and that's proven with the seal creak 90% of people get by poor design.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 02:25 AM   #12
Diamondman
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 335D Shadow Edition

Have the same issue. Its seems to be coming from the "metal look" trim which houses the LED ambient light strip on the door card. The light strip itself seems to rattle in the trim. If I push against the trim the noise stops.
Back to the dealer to sort this , door creaking and brake squeal (2018 335D F31)
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 04:28 PM   #13
dangerous_al
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i G01 2020

I have a similar problem, intermittent buzzing sound which seems to come from the A pillar. My 10 year E90 no had a single creak or noise. Looks like BMW quality is not what it used to be.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 01:35 AM   #14
Mr NSB
Captain
Rep
Drives: 420d M-Sport

Look at my post above. I have had the noise twice on both front doors in both my F30's and it was cured each time by replacing the lock button surround trim piece.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 03:46 AM   #15
Gurvini
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr NSB View Post
Look at my post above. I have had the noise twice on both front doors in both my F30's and it was cured each time by replacing the lock button surround trim piece.
I did check that surround piece and it doesn't rattle so it's stuck on quite hard.
The door lock itself does move a bit but it doesn't rattle for me.
Appreciate 0