F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Towbar witter or westfalia
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-10-2017, 09:12 AM   #23
Chrismac13
Captain
England
193
Rep
605
Posts

Drives: BMW F31 335i
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Blyth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3vmcb View Post
Can you take a couple of pictures to show me it fitted please ?
Photos
Attached Images
  
__________________
Current: 2016 BMW M5 F10
Gone: 2015 BMW 335i F31, MPPK, DMS Remap, Eibach Pro kit
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 09:14 AM   #24
K3vmcb
Second Lieutenant
20
Rep
210
Posts

Drives: F31 touring
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: scotland

iTrader: (0)

So when the towbar is off just that thin black bracket you see ?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 09:46 AM   #25
Chrismac13
Captain
England
193
Rep
605
Posts

Drives: BMW F31 335i
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Blyth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3vmcb View Post
So when the towbar is off just that thin black bracket you see ?
Yep thats it, its just the retaining loop that is visible, you have to be almost at ground level to be able to see it
__________________
Current: 2016 BMW M5 F10
Gone: 2015 BMW 335i F31, MPPK, DMS Remap, Eibach Pro kit
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 05:49 PM   #26
Davetwilliams
New Member
3
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: 340i touring
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Bristol

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpp01 View Post
Davetwilliams, do you mind me asking about the wiring for the Westfalia. Does the dedicated wiring harness/unit, that can be purchased with the Westfalia plug directly into the BMW harness or do you have to use snap in Scotch Locks to pick up the signals? Mines a 63 plate F31, so the wiring may be slightly different, as yours is newer model?
Thanks.
Hi sure. Six wires in total (I only went for 7 pin electrics). I think there are an extra 2 for 13 pin electrics). There are two wires that scotch lock (one to get brake and one to get 'ignition on' signals). Then there are two wires that plug into the CAN connection plugs (There are two plugs and one wire goes into each into a spare 'port'). Then live (with fuse) and earth connected to the battery.

I could scan the instructions if that would help - only two or three pages worth. It would take a pro about 5-10 minutes probably to fit.... the wiring for mine was all in the battery compartment which is in rear driver side of boot. other instructions I've seen require the two cables that plug into the can to be routed to the front passenger side of the car.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense.
Appreciate 1
jpp014.00

      05-11-2017, 08:07 AM   #27
jpp01
New Member
4
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: F31 330D Xdrive Touring
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Wirral, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davetwilliams View Post
Hi sure. Six wires in total (I only went for 7 pin electrics). I think there are an extra 2 for 13 pin electrics). There are two wires that scotch lock (one to get brake and one to get 'ignition on' signals). Then there are two wires that plug into the CAN connection plugs (There are two plugs and one wire goes into each into a spare 'port'). Then live (with fuse) and earth connected to the battery.

I could scan the instructions if that would help - only two or three pages worth. It would take a pro about 5-10 minutes probably to fit.... the wiring for mine was all in the battery compartment which is in rear driver side of boot. other instructions I've seen require the two cables that plug into the can to be routed to the front passenger side of the car.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense.
That's great Dave, doesn't look bad at all. Mine would be used for a small trailer or bike rack, so the 7 pin electrics would be more than sufficient.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 09:23 AM   #28
Craig-SM
Second Lieutenant
95
Rep
254
Posts

Drives: BMW 320d M Sport - F30
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Leeds

iTrader: (0)

Wiring instructions for the Westfalia dedicated electrics

http://www.pfjones.co.uk/westfalia_f...3460300113.pdf
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2017, 02:04 PM   #29
6times7
Second Lieutenant
136
Rep
251
Posts

Drives: F31 330d
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

The instructions @Craig-SM has linked to are for the pre 4/2014 (LCI??) F3x's. As shown, you have to run the CANBUS cables forward on these models. On RHD models the FEM is on the opposite side to that shown, whilst the battery is still on the offside. Be prepared to extend the cables, no biggie if you have the right crimps & cable, bearing in mind they are very fine cables.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 04:10 AM   #30
RalphyBMW
Captain
United Kingdom
143
Rep
904
Posts

Drives: F31 330d xDrive MSport
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: West Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6times7 View Post
The instructions @Craig-SM has linked to are for the pre 4/2014 (LCI??) F3x's. As shown, you have to run the CANBUS cables forward on these models. On RHD models the FEM is on the opposite side to that shown, whilst the battery is still on the offside. Be prepared to extend the cables, no biggie if you have the right crimps & cable, bearing in mind they are very fine cables.
I didn't need to extend the cables on my Westfalia loom, it was about right.
__________________
2016 F80 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 02:35 PM   #31
6times7
Second Lieutenant
136
Rep
251
Posts

Drives: F31 330d
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphyBMW View Post
I didn't need to extend the cables on my Westfalia loom, it was about right.
I wish I'd had your kit then!

I made sure there was no slack anywhere, no further corners could be cut, and was 100mm short. Maybe I got a short set??
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 11:29 AM   #32
chris.fowler
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: 335i M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Surrey

iTrader: (0)

Sorry to drag up an old thread but has anyone got a BMW part number for the heat shield that needs replacing on petrol models?

My local dealer have no idea what I'm talking about, even though Westfalia are pretty clear on their website that it's a BMW part...

Chris
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:49 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST