F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > xDrive All-Wheel Drive Discussions > Axle issues
Studio RSR

01-31-2021, 03:40 AM   #1
428xivibez
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 428xi

Axle issues

Hi all,

2015 428i xdrive

I’ve been dropped on air ride 3p air suspension for 3 years with no issues. I recently went from a 19” staggered set up to an 18” set up last week and have blown through 2 axles since. Each time on the passenger side. I’m now hearing that x drive can’t handle a severe drop but again I’ve been low for years with no issue. Even now I’m not running an extremely low ride height. Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this repetitive axle issue.

Again the axle is pulling out completely. I’ll include a video for reference.
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2021, 08:15 PM   #2
Toonez87ls
Private
Rep
Drives: e46 sedan & f32 coupe

I also have blown 2 front axles i learned that you have to get an alignment right away also the angle of your lowest height puts a ton of stress on the 3 ball joints and often snap out of place another thing is your damper set up the stiffer the less play
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 05:10 AM   #3
428xivibez
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonez87ls View Post
I also have blown 2 front axles i learned that you have to get an alignment right away also the angle of your lowest height puts a ton of stress on the 3 ball joints and often snap out of place another thing is your damper set up the stiffer the less play
After you got your alignment did that solve your axle issues? I think you’re right about the dampening too. I recently changed the setting to a softer setting and that may be contributing as well. My last alignment was done when I was on 19” wheel set up. After switching to the 18” I popped 2 axles and now I’m realizing that may be due to the 18’s being causing more stress up front since they’re lower.

I’ll replace the axle, get an alignment and keep this post updated. Thanks for your input!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 08:41 PM   #4
Toonez87ls
Private
Rep
Drives: e46 sedan & f32 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428xivibez View Post
Quote:
After you got your alignment did that solve your axle issues? I think you’re right about the dampening too. I recently changed the setting to a softer setting and that may be contributing as well. My last alignment was done when I was on 19” wheel set up. After switching to the 18” I popped 2 axles and now I’m realizing that may be due to the 18’s being causing more stress up front since they’re lower.

I’ll replace the axle, get an alignment and keep this post updated. Thanks for your input!
Quote:
Quote:

im running 18s with chunky tires and alignment helped alot i also raised the car a bit just small tweaks
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 09:04 PM   #5
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Why do you think that 18" wheels are lower than 19" wheels? Wheel size is meaningless to ride height. It's the tire diameter that determines height.

To find out if there was a change, go to the TireRack website and look up the measured diameter of your specific 18" tire and your 19" tire. They should be around 26.0". If there is any difference, then divide that difference by 2 to determine how much the center-point of your wheel may have changed in height from the ground. Doubtful if it changed much at all unless one of your tires had an out of the ordinary sidewall height.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 07:18 PM   #6
2_N54's
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 and E60

Just curious to know how would you know if you have blown your axels? What changes will I notice on the car?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 07:02 PM   #7
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

18" or 19" don't mean anything unless you put some tires with serious sidewalls, but I'd expect the car to start tossing a crap-ton of errors since the wheel speed doesn't match the transmission speed.

I'd say it's because you didn't do the alignment. You basically just killed the CV joints.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2022, 09:08 PM   #8
428xivibez
Enlisted Member
Rep

Wanted to update.

Long story short it seemed to be a combination of a weak/failing motor mount, and lack of an alignment. Also x-drive cars are more prone for this issue form what I've found.
Appreciate 1
lebaaron327.00